Parabolic Blades | Golden Skate

Parabolic Blades

rianataylor

Spectator
Do any elite skaters have parabolic blades? (John Wilson or MK?) I have Gold Seal parabolics and they were giving me issues with spins and edges back when I was on the ice a few weeks ago. I had the old version of the gold seal parabolics from two years ago and they were great until I had to get them replaced because the were bent from improper mounting. Any one else have issues with parabolics? Should I switch to the normal gold seal? I've never skates on normal gold seals so I'm not sure how hard it would be to adjust. Hope everyone is healthy and staying home!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Do any elite skaters have parabolic blades? (John Wilson or MK?) I have Gold Seal parabolics and they were giving me issues with spins and edges back when I was on the ice a few weeks ago. I had the old version of the gold seal parabolics from two years ago and they were great until I had to get them replaced because the were bent from improper mounting. Any one else have issues with parabolics? Should I switch to the normal gold seal? I've never skates on normal gold seals so I'm not sure how hard it would be to adjust. Hope everyone is healthy and staying home!

Yes there are elites that have parabolics. I have had parabolics and no problems.

Maybe gold seal just isn't the blade for you?

You need to tell us more of what your problem is so we can help. :)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Could you clarify what you mean by this? Gold Seal parabolics were discontinued a couple of years ago, although new old stock is still available. So the version that you recently bought is most likely the same that you bought two years ago; i.e., there is no recent new version. You stated that you previously skated OK on Gold Seal parabolics, until the blades were damaged due to improper mounting. Do you have a current competent tech? Looks like you need to check for manufacturing defects, proper sharpening, and proper mounting.

rianataylor

Spectator
Could you clarify what you mean by this? Gold Seal parabolics were discontinued a couple of years ago, although new old stock is still available. So the version that you recently bought is most likely the same that you bought two years ago; i.e., there is no recent new version. You stated that you previously skated OK on Gold Seal parabolics, until the blades were damaged due to improper mounting. Do you have a current competent tech? Looks like you need to check for manufacturing defects, proper sharpening, and proper mounting.

The version that I had previously had parabolic written on the back of the blades and the news ones that I got a couple months ago just have a P above the Gold Seal emblem. So I assumed they updated them and made them better. I emailed John Wilson a few weeks ago asking if the discontinued parabolics and they said that they haven't but no one advertises them anymore so I'm wondering if having parabolics is worth it at all of it is affecting my skating. The tech that I had issues with didn't even know they were bent and had no rocker, so I went to my current tech which is recommend by two of my coaches and it's where all their students get boots and blades. He is the one that pointed out my issues, i.e. bent blade, no rocker, and I had major drag on my blades. I also had to get a new boot because the bent blades were making my boots wear down in places they weren't supposed to.

rianataylor

Spectator
Yes there are elites that have parabolics. I have had parabolics and no problems.

Maybe gold seal just isn't the blade for you?

You need to tell us more of what your problem is so we can help. :)

I loved my old gold seals and landed all my doubles on them and was starting triples when I had to get them replaced. I bought my new pair expecting to have them be exactly the same with almost no break in time since they're the same size and same boot but everything went down hill. Edges aren't the same as they were and they feel like they're slipping all over the place. Spins are so off balance and my coach tells me I'm like a new born deer [emoji28] I can barely do a double sal let alone triple because I slip off the edge. I went and got them sharpened again just in case and I still fell on my sals, other jumps are almost fine but I slip off the right outside edge when I land almost half of the time. I get that I have to adjust to the new rocker since I was skating on no rocker for a while but the flat blade wasn't exactly helping my skating. I could try a pattern 99 but I'm not sure if I want to adjust to new blades again. If I am going to get new blades I would try the gold seal revs since that's what my jump coach recommended and most of my coaches skaters have them, or regular gold seals.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I loved my old gold seals and landed all my doubles on them and was starting triples when I had to get them replaced. I bought my new pair expecting to have them be exactly the same with almost no break in time since they're the same size and same boot but everything went down hill. Edges aren't the same as they were and they feel like they're slipping all over the place. Spins are so off balance and my coach tells me I'm like a new born deer [emoji28] I can barely do a double sal let alone triple because I slip off the edge. I went and got them sharpened again just in case and I still fell on my sals, other jumps are almost fine but I slip off the right outside edge when I land almost half of the time. I get that I have to adjust to the new rocker since I was skating on no rocker for a while but the flat blade wasn't exactly helping my skating. I could try a pattern 99 but I'm not sure if I want to adjust to new blades again. If I am going to get new blades I would try the gold seal revs since that's what my jump coach recommended and most of my coaches skaters have them, or regular gold seals.

You might just have a defective blade or set of blades. Or someone messed up with sharpening them or even mounting them.

That's the first thing I would look into.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I recently switched to Phantom Parabolics (wanted normal Phantoms but the Parabolics were a bargain at £200) and I love them. My take on Parabolics is that you need more kneebend rather than less and to really make sure that your weight is in the right place over the blade and then they are fabulous. They won't magically make your edges and turns better automatically, you do have to put the extra in to get the benefit or you'll find yourself thrown "off", if that makes any sense? Also, although Parabolics are available lower down the blade spectrum and I do see much less proficient skaters on them, it's interesting to note that if you don't have strong edges in the first place, they pretty much make no difference whatsoever to anything.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The version that I had previously had parabolic written on the back of the blades and the news ones that I got a couple months ago just have a P above the Gold Seal emblem. So I assumed they updated them and made them better. I emailed John Wilson a few weeks ago asking if the discontinued parabolics and they said that they haven't but no one advertises them anymore so I'm wondering if having parabolics is worth it at all of it is affecting my skating...
A change in graphics doesn't necessarily mean a change in design.

That's interesting e-mail you got from John Wilson. Thanks for the info. "No one advertises them" because John Wilson themselves don't even list them on their own website. For parabolics, they list only Coronation Ace (standard and Rev) and Coronation Dance. Peculiar marketing strategy. I always thought it weird that they would offer parabolics for intermediate blades, but not advanced blades.

rianataylor

Spectator
You might just have a defective blade or set of blades. Or someone messed up with sharpening them or even mounting them.

That's the first thing I would look into.

The last time I went to my tech, about a month, right before the whole pandemic thing, I asked him if they could possibly be defective because that's the first thing i thought of and/or they have some deformity to, and he doubled checked everything, said my ROH is the same as it was on my old blades and that they were perfectly fine. I can't really make the call myself and say they are defective if my tech says they're fine, so I guess getting a new pair of traditional gold seals wouldn't be a bad option to see if they are better/worse than the ones I have now.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The last time I went to my tech, about a month, right before the whole pandemic thing, I asked him if they could possibly be defective because that's the first thing i thought of and/or they have some deformity to, and he doubled checked everything, said my ROH is the same as it was on my old blades and that they were perfectly fine. I can't really make the call myself and say they are defective if my tech says they're fine, so I guess getting a new pair of traditional gold seals wouldn't be a bad option to see if they are better/worse than the ones I have now.

I have to ask the same thing that tstop4me (who is very competent in this) is asking. Are these the parabolics you spoke of in your first post that were damaged (bent)? or did you get another pair since?

I'm also starting to wonder, like them, if your tech is competent.

If you're that desperate go with the normal gold seal, but it's going to take some getting used to, and if that tech mounts them wrong again and ruins them it's not doing you any better than the ones you have.

good luck!

rianataylor

Spectator
I have to ask the same thing that tstop4me (who is very competent in this) is asking. Are these the parabolics you spoke of in your first post that were damaged (bent)? or did you get another pair since?

I'm also starting to wonder, like them, if your tech is competent.

If you're that desperate go with the normal gold seal, but it's going to take some getting used to, and if that tech mounts them wrong again and ruins them it's not doing you any better than the ones you have.

good luck!

I got another pair since the bent ones and I went to my current tech after my previous one messed up the mounting of my last pair. Most of the skaters in the 3 or 4 rinks that I go to go to the tech I'm currently going to be he's known to be very good, while no one seems to go to the tech that I previously went to, even though she is a coach herself she didn't know what she was doing. If I do get a new pair of blades I'm going to order them online instead of getting them from my tech, because it's cheaper and I'm wondering if the distributor he got my blades from gave me a bad pair ( it was the last parabolic gold seal in my size and they weren't getting anymore ) Maybe it was the last pair for a reason you know what I mean. Thanks for all your help!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I got another pair since the bent ones and I went to my current tech after my previous one messed up the mounting of my last pair. Most of the skaters in the 3 or 4 rinks that I go to go to the tech I'm currently going to be he's known to be very good, while no one seems to go to the tech that I previously went to, even though she is a coach herself she didn't know what she was doing. If I do get a new pair of blades I'm going to order them online instead of getting them from my tech, because it's cheaper and I'm wondering if the distributor he got my blades from gave me a bad pair ( it was the last parabolic gold seal in my size and they weren't getting anymore ) Maybe it was the last pair for a reason you know what I mean. Thanks for all your help!

Just FYI: It doesn't really matter where you order the new blades from, they could still come defective, it happens.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

From my limited experience Parabolic's should make edges easier to hold, not make you slip.
99% sure defective blade or bad mount.
Just curious how are you finding loop jumps? Loop is the one which tends to slip for many skaters, so if you are good with loop jumps right now (or at least before the lockdown) then that may indicate that 1 Blade is faulty and 1 is good, or maybe 1 is mounted incorrectly. Any Chance you can post pictures of birdseye of both blades side-by-side with boots directly next to each other for comparison?

yirumi

Spectator
My friend runs a figure skating shop and she said the JW blades are quite inconsistent. She herself had 2 pair of rev blades those are faulty, one after another. It is quite common for JW to either get the profile wrong or send a bent blade. While they get it right, it's great. while they get it wrong - you probably won't think about checking with them as you would assume they can do their job right after so many years . lol

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
My friend runs a figure skating shop and she said the JW blades are quite inconsistent. She herself had 2 pair of rev blades those are faulty, one after another. It is quite common for JW to either get the profile wrong or send a bent blade. While they get it right, it's great. while they get it wrong - you probably won't think about checking with them as you would assume they can do their job right after so many years . lol

Honestly, this can happen with any blade, any brand. This is why you check your blades when you get them and before mount. It happens.

yirumi

Spectator
Honestly, this can happen with any blade, any brand. This is why you check your blades when you get them and before mount. It happens.

It's hard to expect a skater to check blade profile, most coaches don't even know how to check profile or sharpening quality. That's why It's so important for blade manufacturers to do their in house checking before releasing the blades.
Imagine you buy a car and it has security issues but the car dealer expect you to do your own inspection. Unreasonable!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's hard to expect a skater to check blade profile, most coaches don't even know how to check profile or sharpening quality. That's why It's so important for blade manufacturers to do their in house checking before releasing the blades.
Imagine you buy a car and it has security issues but the car dealer expect you to do your own inspection. Unreasonable!

Actually, it is your job and the boot/blade techs job to check the blades. You learn how to do it. I am a pro and former elite, I know what I'm talking about here. I reassure you that most blades of most well-known and worn brands are usually good, but you do get ones that aren't, it happens.

ETA: If the coach doesn't know how to check blades, esp for sharpening (which is rare in my experience), then that is a coach you need to not walk, but run from.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

I can tell you than John wilson has the best quality of all blade manufactures. Sometimes mistakes can happen, but each blade has a lifetime guarantee ��

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I can tell you than John wilson has the best quality of all blade manufactures. Sometimes mistakes can happen, but each blade has a lifetime guarantee 😉
<<Emphasis added.>> Is that simply a naked assertion, or do you have actual field data (similar to what Consumer Reports collects for various products) to support that?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
<<Emphasis added.>> Is that simply a naked assertion, or do you have actual field data (similar to what Consumer Reports collects for various products) to support that?

No data, just going on what general consensus is.
But john wilson and Mk are both owned by hdsports. Have never heard of any world champions who didnt wear either of those blades, andjohn wilson tends to be predominantly used by most world competitors.