2019-20 Best Music | Golden Skate

2019-20 Best Music

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A poll will be created in the future for the top 5 Finalists in this category. Don't forget to sign up for the GS Newsletter so we can let you know when it's time to cast your vote after the Finalists have been selected.

Please list the best music choices (among all figure skating categories) starting with your absolute favourite. Take into account the music cuts, matching with the skater's style, personality or sensitivity, original or surprising music choice, interpretation, etc. (Seniors Only)

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
1. Schindler's List for Jason Brown - Yes, it happened. Even with all those SL programs out there (some iconic, some great, some not so great) David Wilson and Jason made something so pure of soul and emotion that it stands out as a work of art to be mentioned in the list of the best SL programs ever. The violin solo with Jason's signature camel spin is to die for.
2. The Fire Within for Cha Junhwan - Bias alert, but honestly. Shae-Lynn Bourne made me repent my doubting her before the program was announced over and over, it was a program to perfectly accentuate my darling's musicality and heighten his interpretation. And the music cuts are excellent.
3. The Matrix for Sakamoto Kaori - Benoit Richaud keeps doing her good. The program let her branch out yet not too far from her comfort zone, and her performance abilities grew immensely through each performance.
4. The Hardest Button to Button for Tomono Kazuki - I know the program was polarizing, but in my case I was busy :bow: to Phillip Mills. It was unexpected and unique at least to his repertoire yet not that far from his alley as a performer, and although it took the whole season for him to skate the program clean I loved it with all my heart.
5. The Question of U for Kevin Aymoz - Prince has been done to justice before, I know, but Kevin Aymoz and Prince were like peanut butter and chocolate. Prince put out his soul in his music, Kevin bares his soul as he skates/dances through the program. I swear he did every beat justice, and oh yeah he did a cartwheel for an ending (and I will never not be in love with that).

rabidline

Final Flight
1. Dancing on My Own (FS) / Shoma Uno
2. Bird Set Free (SP) / Wakaba Higuchi

- I'm not really a lyric-focused person, but my top 2 of the Best Music choice are there because there is something special about music choices that turn out perfectly fitting each skaters' personal journeys in the season. Also their respective music cuts are seamless and well-structured, which is what I look for when dealing with skaters using lyrics.

3. The Hardest Button to Button (SP) / Kazuki Tomono
4. Both Sides Now (FD) / Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier
5. Great Spirit (SP) / Shoma Uno

This is an EX but Satoko Miyahara's Gnosienne/Metamorphosis was the best music choice of the season. It makes me want a full Satoko program to Phillip Glass music.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
1. Yuzuru Hanyu, Seimei.... what? It fits the criteria, it was in a competition in the season and come on, at least one person (me) has to vote for what would be a contender for most iconic music programs of the decade if not the millennium...
2. Rika Kihira, Breakfast in Bagdad - I may be the only one who likes it (and it took a couple of listens) but I do, I really really do. I mean, we all say we want something fresh and different but when we get it... no? I will say, however, while I think the music and her program worked a treat for me, what she wore always seemed to work against it, which may have been part of the problem for people to appreciate it.
3. Yuzuru Hanyu, Origin - I don't care if it's from last year, I don't care if Plushy did it, I don't care if you all groan and roll eyes. The whole thing still gives chills...
4. Junhwan Cha, The Fire Within - not as utterly memorable as Junliet, but oh so gorgeous and complements his romantic strengths and sensitivities so well.
5. Shoma Uno, Dancing on My Own - I might have liked a slightly different cut, but I looooove this song and for me, it and Shoma are a wonderful match.

With a special shout out to Brendan Kerry for Puttin' on the Ritz-Mah-Na, Mah-Na, because it might not have worked as well as he'd hoped, but the simple fact is that it is the Puttin' on the Ritz and Mah-Na, Mah-Na and therefore by definition awesome. So there.

ruga

Final Flight
1. Rika Kihira, 'International Angel of Peace' medley in her FS. A great example of cutting music where one cannot exactly distinguish when one piece ends and the other starts.
2. Kevin Aymoz FS 'Lighthouse'
3. Papadakis/Cizeron FD 'Find Me'
4. Bradie Tennell SP 'Mechanisms, Chronos'
5. Jason Brown FS 'Schindler's List'

Also, agree with Satoko's Gala music choice being the best this season

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
1. Kevin Aymoz SP: The Question of U. Outstanding match of music and skater.
2. Keegan Messing SP: Perfect. Same reason.
3. Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen RD. Bonnie and Clyde OBC Recording. Effective selections of music from a very bad musical to create a very good program.
4. Papadakis/Cizeron RD: Fame medley. Great narrative development across the selected pieces.
5. Jason Brown FS: Schindler's List. Hugely effective choice to make some less-used selections from this score the emotional centre of the program in a way no other skater could do.

ana

On the Ice
Jason Brown - Schindler's List
Eunsoo Lin - Somewhere in Time/Sabrina
Bradie Tennel - Cinema Paradiso
Yuzuru Hanyu - Chopin Ballade No. 1/Seimei
Nathan Chen - La Bohème

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
1. Gilles/Poirier FD (Both Sides Now)
2. Reed/Ambrulevicius FD (AURORA)
3. Kevin Aymoz (The Question of U)
4. Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen RD (Bonnie & Clyde) - I know a lot of teams used it, but I like the music and I think they did it the best
5. Alex Krasnozhon (Dracula) - perfect program choice for him, and there were a lot of music cuts but I don't remember it doing awkward
6. Nicolas Nadeau SP (Don't Fall In Love)
7. Anna Shcherbakova SP (Perfume)
8. Denney/Frazier FS (The Lion King)
9. Jason Brown FS (Schindler's List)
10. Satoko Miyahara (Egyptian Disco)

Skatefan15

On the Ice
1. Yuzuru Hanyu FS (Seimei)
2. Jason Brown FS (Schindler’s List)
3. Evgenia Medvedeva FS (Memoirs of a Geisha)
4. Bradie Tennell FS (Cinema Paradiso)
5. Shoma Uno FS (Dancing On My Own)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I like a lot of music (yeah often enough even war horses), sometimes even with not so wisely chosen cuts, but my 5 choices are those when music and skate together made me all emotional, sometimes even crying. That doesn't mean I didn't like/enjoy any others (I loved the Snake dance music for example, of course Ground control to Major Tom, Fame, James Bond and many more).

1. Jason Brown FS Schindler's List, especially the performance at his Nationals. But he got me sniffing every time I watched and listened.
2. Kevin Aymoz SP The question of U. Don't know why it moved me so, but it did.
3. Keyvin Aymoz. Lighthouse. As this is one of my favourite music choices for S/M (apart from La Terre Vue du Ciel), I expected it not to work but it did. Totally inspired.
4. Evgenia Medvedeva Memoirs of a geisha. Loved it.
5. Keegan Messing SP Perfect. Another moving one.

Zamin

Rinkside
1 - Ksenia Sinitsyna SP - Alfonsina Y El Mar. Perfectly chosen song, and perfect choreography to match it. Tender. Fragile. Almost elegiac, beautiful.
2 - Papadakis/Cizeron FD - Find Me. I know it was divisive. I thought it was glorious and enjoyed every single one of their skates to it. (Yeah, even Euros)
3 - Kazuki Tomono SP - The Hardest Button to Button - that was definitely out there in terms of originality. Breathtaking choreo, all around great, and if Philip Mills could continue to do programs for Tomono, we're in for a treat.
4 - Wakaba Higuchi SP - Bird Set Free. Lyrics perfectly matched with the choreo.
5 - Evgenia Medvedeva FS - Memoirs of a Geisha. The music was great, and the music cuts were coherent and cohesive. All around well structured.

Also I want to join everyone who has mentionned Satoko's Gnossienne EX, which was imho the best thing Satoko ever skated to.
Also I want to mention Hubbel/Donohue's Oats in the Water EX. Nothing extraordinary, but I love that song.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
1. Shoma Uno - FS - Dancing On My Own
2. Evgenia Medvedeva - FS - Memoirs of a Geisha
3. Wakaba Higuchi - SP - Bird Set Free
4. Fournier-Beaudry/Sorensen - RD - Bonnie & Clyde
5. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - SP - Drumming Song

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
1. Wakaba Higuchi SP - Bird Set Free
2. Jason Brown FS - Schindler's List
3. Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov SP - Bolero
4. Madison Chock/Evan Bates FD - Snake dance
5. Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabri FD - David Bowie medley

rain

Record Breaker
1. Gilles/Poirier Both Sides Now
2. Moore-Towers/Marinaro Carry You
3. Shoma Uno SP Great Spirit (love!)
4. Fournier-Beaudry/Sorenson Bonnie and Clyde
5. Sui/Han Rain in Your Black Eyes

Ulrica

On the Ice
1. Yuzuru Hanyu-Seimei
2. Rika Kihira-Breakfast in Bagdad (Now this is interesting and different in a glorious way)
3. Evgenia Medvedeva-Memoirs of a Geisha
4. Elizabeta Tuktamysheva-Drumming Song
5. Rika Kihira-International Angel of Peace

cabres

On the Ice
1. Schindler's List/Prelued in C Sharp Minor (Satoko Miyahara FS; Roman Sadovski FS)
2. Lacrimosa by Mozart; (Daniel Grassl SP)
3. Both Sides Now ( Gilles/Poirier FD)
4. Schindler's List (Jason Brown FS)
5.The Question of U ( Kevin Aymoz SP)

Gourlie

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
1. Peng/Jin - FS - Cloud Atlas
2. Sui/Han - SP - Blues Deluxe
3. Anna Shcherbakova - SP - Perfume
4. Shoma Uno - SP - Great Spirit
5. Wakaba Higuchi - SP - Bird Set Free

LisaS

On the Ice
1. Both Sides Now - Gilles and Poirer FS
2. November Rain - Keegan Messing FS
3. Great Spirit - Shoma Uno SP
4. Hallelujha - Mariah Bell FP
5. Carry You - KMT and MarinaroFS

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Gracie Gold's LP music - She Used to be Mine
2. Keegan's SP music - Perfect
3. Alexa & Chris's short program music, At Last
4. Wakaba Higuchi SP Bird Set Free

chanchan

On the Ice
1. Shoma UNO - SP - Great spirit (another version of shoma)
2. Nathan CHEN - SP - La boheme (beautiful music, aweful costume:palmf:)
3. Kseniia SINITSYNA - SP - Alfonsina (she is a senior skater!!!)
4. Sara HURTADO/Kirill KHALIAVIN - FD - Orobroy & Puerta del Sol (fresh n modern flamenco)
5. Maria Kazakova/Georgy Reviya - FD - In the end (so cool)