2019-20 Best Costume: Senior Ice Dance | Golden Skate

2019-20 Best Costume: Senior Ice Dance

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A poll will be created in the future for the top Finalists in this category. Don't forget to sign up for the GS Newsletter so we can let you know when it's time to cast your vote after the Finalists have been selected. (Seniors Only)

heartyxo

On the Ice
1. Chock/Bates FD- her dress obviously wins it all and the eye makeup is AMAZING :luv17: Evan's shirt is kinda weird but at the same time I dig it.
2. Papadakis/Cizeron RD
3. Gilles/Poirier RD
4. Stepanova/Bukin RD
5. Guignard/Fabbri FD- again weird but I like.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
1. We all know this is going to win, Madison Sexy Snake Chock's magnificent dress for their FD. It's truly magnificent, really. :bow:
2. Gilles/Poirier, FD **merlot** version. NOT the ones with Paul's ugly trousers.
3. Fear/Gibson, FD
4. Papadakis/Cizeron, RD
5. Gilles/Poirier, RD

Honorable mention to Charlene Guignard's lovely blue RD dress before they changed to Grease

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Adding my nomination for Madison Chock's snake costume. Even her hair was perfect!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Popova/Mozgov Cabaret RD.

Just so perfect, both of them. Amazing costumes that truly conveyed the concept of the dance.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
1. Fear/Gibson FD
2. Papadakis/Cizeron RD (IDF to GPF version)
3. Guignard/Fabbri FD
4. Reed/Ambrulevicius FD
5. Friend/Badaoui FD

Ionan

Spectator
Chock/Bates: Her costume especially, but his also gives off the "scaly" snake vibe

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There was a surprising lack of imagination this year IMO, but there were some good things.

1. Fear/Gibson FD - she managed to look totally Madonna on what I imagine was not a huge budget, his shirt matched the bling factor. Love it.
2. Papadakis/Cizeron, FD - oh so Franch, oh so chic, oh so the visual mirror or that, err interesting soundtrack....
3. Chock/Bates FD - if there was a single, multidisciplinary prize for costume, I might even have voted for her above Yuzu and Satoko, but his is such a fifteenth place let down beside it.... still gets in just on the strength of her brilliant B-movie bling.
4. Stepanova/Bukin RD - ballroom elegance done right, and they can carry it.
5. Popova/Mozgov RD - different, kitschy, but I've decided like it

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1,2,3,4 and 5: Chock/Bates.

I mean really, Madi's total look is stunning and actually, Evan's look is fine too, because it's all eyes on the sexy snake. Including the other skater;)

rabidline

Final Flight
I feel like there's a runaway winner in this category :agree:

1. Madison Chock/Evan Bates, FD
2. Betina Popova/Sergei Mozgov, RD
3. Piper Gilles/Paul Poirier, FD (4CC Version)
4. Kaitlyn Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker, FD
5. Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabbri, FD

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
1,2,3,4 and 5: Chock/Bates.

I mean really, Madi's total look is stunning and actually, Evan's look is fine too, because it's all eyes on the sexy snake. Including the other skater;)

I can see that, but I just don't care for partners where one is so obviously an afterthought.... they could have made him a backdrop for her in any number of wonderful ways, but it seems couldn't be bothered.

I hope they bring it back next season though, Maddie the snake could easily become iconic.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can see that, but I just don't care for partners where one is so obviously an afterthought.... they could have made him a backdrop for her in any number of wonderful ways, but it seems couldn't be bothered.

I hope they bring it back next season though, Maddie the snake could easily become iconic.

I understand; maybe just a little tiny bit of bling on Evan would have made it look like they tried. I believe I did read that his shirt is supposed to reflect scales, which I never noticed :)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
1. Chock/Bates FD
2. Gilles/Poirier FD (merlot version)
3. Papadakis/Cizeron RD (either version)
4. Wang/Liu FD
5. Fear/Gibson FD
6. Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen RD
7. Wang/Liu RD
8. Stepanova/Bukin RD (after they toned down her skirt)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
There was a surprising lack of imagination this year IMO, but there were some good things.
3. Chock/Bates FD - if there was a single, multidisciplinary prize for costume, I might even have voted for her above Yuzu and Satoko, but his is such a fifteenth place let down beside it.... still gets in just on the strength of her brilliant B-movie bling.

First statement gets a huge :agree: from me. There was a real lack of understanding that "pretty dress and bland male" does not equal 'costume.'

The second...hmm. Well there's a reason that men's formal clothing in the West has been predominately all black or all white since the early 19th century. I believe the most appropriate phrase would be "pulling focus." If Evan were blinged out it would definitely not only pull focus, but would be de trop. Marie-France knows her fashion (she and Carol Lane are consistently the two most chic coaches in ID season after season).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
First statement gets a huge :agree: from me. There was a real lack of understanding that "pretty dress and bland male" does not equal 'costume.'

The second...hmm. Well there's a reason that men's formal clothing in the West has been predominately all black or all white since the early 19th century. I believe the most appropriate phrase would be "pulling focus." If Evan were blinged out it would definitely not only pull focus, but would be de trop. Marie-France knows her fashion (she and Carol Lane are consistently the two most chic coaches in ID season after season).

He didn't have to bling - look at Sui/Han, he is complementary without being blah wallpaper. I find it with too many pairs and ice dance, the costumer has clearly gone all out (sometimes too out) on the woman's costume and then equally clearly gone... "oh, there's him too dammit, throw something together..."

Which seems to be fine for most viewers, but for me - it's lopsided, and spoils both.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
1. Madison Chock/Evan Bates FD
2. Alexandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin RD
3. Charlene Guignard/Marco Fabri FD
4. Betina Popova/Sergei Mozgov RD
5. Lila/Fear/Lewis Gibson FD