2019-20 Best Costume: Senior Ice Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Best Costume: Senior Ice Dance

Seven Sisters

Medalist
He didn't have to bling - look at Sui/Han, he is complementary without being blah wallpaper. I find it with too many pairs and ice dance, the costumer has clearly gone all out (sometimes too out) on the woman's costume and then equally clearly gone... "oh, there's him too dammit, throw something together..."

Which seems to be fine for most viewers, but for me - it's lopsided, and spoils both.

Totally agree—for pairs and dance, both costumes must shine, and be complimentary, to warrant the award!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I will need to disagree with evaluating both costumes as it relates to the Snake Dance.

Although Evan could possibly have had one slightly sequined epaulette, or some such, I think if he had blinged out it would have looked ridiculous. (Although in Ice Dance "ridiculous" can definitely be a relative term;)). And once I did look, I did see the scales in his outfit, and the green matches perfectly, as in not exactly the same shade, but reflecting Madi.

I stand by my nomination for first place. They're a great combo, and really, what could they possibly have done to equal Madi's dress?:biggrin:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I think I will need to disagree with evaluating both costumes as it relates to the Snake Dance.

Although Evan could possibly have had one slightly sequined epaulette, or some such, I think if he had blinged out it would have looked ridiculous. (Although in Ice Dance "ridiculous" can definitely be a relative term;)). And once I did look, I did see the scales in his outfit, and the green matches perfectly, as in not exactly the same shade, but reflecting Madi.

I stand by my nomination for first place. They're a great combo, and really, what could they possibly have done to equal Madi's dress?:biggrin:

It’s such a cartoon-y dance though, they could have really had some fun with the costuming. What about Evan decked out as a nerdy herpetologist, in a sort of safari suit? We need more fun in dance IMHO. :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
He didn't have to bling - look at Sui/Han, he is complementary without being blah wallpaper. I find it with too many pairs and ice dance, the costumer has clearly gone all out (sometimes too out) on the woman's costume and then equally clearly gone... "oh, there's him too dammit, throw something together..."

Which seems to be fine for most viewers, but for me - it's lopsided, and spoils both.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It’s such a cartoon-y dance though, they could have really had some fun with the costuming. What about Evan decked out as a nerdy herpetologist, in a sort of safari suit? We need more fun in dance IMHO. :)

The thing is, it's not a comic dance. It may come across as cartoony to you, but I wouldn't bet any money that was the intent behind it. And then putting Evan into a costume like that, in this particular dance, would have changed the tone in a way I think would have been detrimental. This is actually a great example of why costuming in ice dance is so important. Sometimes I feel like the only team who really gets that is Piper and Paul, whose costuming is usually spot on and adds to the dance.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Madison's dress is superb. No question. Well, not to me. And also to me, Evan is perfect just as much. He's the one meeting the extraordinary snake woman...no bling necessary for him. He should be as ordinary as possible, and be confronted with this wonderful snake. A perfect combo. I love their combination (and of course their enjoyment is no part of the costume, but it helps). Their costuming adds, and not just hers.

rabidline

Final Flight
Madison's dress is superb. No question. Well, not to me. And also to me, Evan is perfect just as much. He's the one meeting the extraordinary snake woman...no bling necessary for him. He should be as ordinary as possible, and be confronted with this wonderful snake. A perfect combo. I love their combination (and of course their enjoyment is no part of the costume, but it helps). Their costuming adds, and not just hers.

This is exactly why they get my #1 vote, that and I think costumes with interesting fabric treatment get dismissed and underappreciated too easily just because they lack bling, while costumes with bling gets credit just because they have bling. It's one thing if Evan's shirt is a plain green turtleneck, but the treatment it got that gives it texture and visual interest is something I appreciate. I think the only wish I had about it was for his shirt's color to be one of the fresher greens to tie it with her dress, but then again I get how their story need him to have a color palette of the traveler as opposed to the snake's.

rain

Record Breaker
1. Madison Chock FD dress (obviously)
2. Gilles/Poirier FD (peach/nude)
3. Smart/Diaz RD (could she look more like Olivia Newton-John?)
4. Papadakis/Cizeron RD (the most entertaining part of the entire program)
5. Fournier-Beaudry/Sorenson FD

SteamedEggplant

Rinkside
1. Papadakis + Cizeron / RD Fame :cheer:
2. Gilles + Poirier / FD deep red version
3. Wang + Liu / FD - more men in eyeliner please
4. Komatsubara + Koleto / FD - especially her green dress
5. Chock + Bates / FD - again her dress steals the show, his is alright (I do think his green is a little too dingy)

FayD

spring will come 🌸
On the Ice
1. Stepanova/Bukin RD
2. Hawayek/Baker FD
3. Chock/Bates FD
4. Komatsubara/Koleto FD
5. Gilles/Poirier RD

dancelion21

On the Ice
1. Chock/Bates FD
2. Stepanova/Bukin RD
3. Gilles/Poirier (Red) FD (I didn't care for the peach version, but I'm in love with the deep red color. Such a shame that we only got to see it once at 4CC)
4. Fear/Gibson FD

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
1. Stepanova/Bukin RD
2. Gilles/Poirier FD burgandy version
3. Smart/Diaz FD
4. Popova/Mozgov RD
5. Madison Chock FD (well.. compared to Madison, Evan's attire looked rather frugal though :scratch2:)

honorary mention - Hawayek/Baker Ex :biggrin:

humbaba

Final Flight
... I think costumes with interesting fabric treatment get dismissed and underappreciated too easily just because they lack bling, while costumes with bling gets credit just because they have bling.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

I think the only wish I had about it was for his shirt's color to be one of the fresher greens to tie it with her dress,...

I love Evan's shirt and think he looks great in it. The muted olive green compliments his coloring so well. The person who picked that color for him has a very good eye.

My only quibble is I wonder if something a bit more interesting could have been done with the pants. I appreciate there's already a lot going on with the dress and the shirt; but did the pants have to be plain black?

I'm nitpicking, though. Madi and Evan had the best costumes of the season.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Evan was appropriately dressed. It was the snake dance - the focus should be on the snake. When you see classic ballroom dancing (not my favorite sport) you see lavish dresses on the women and formal attire on the men. At least these days in ice dance you don't see those hideous ballroom dresses on the women that went down to their calves keeping you from seeing the movement of their legs and feet. I, too, stand by placing Maddy and Evan in first place for the year.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
1. Charlène Guignard / Marco Fabbri FD
2. Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sorensen RD
3. Betina Popova / Sergey Mozgov RD
4. Tiffani Zagorski / Jonathan Guerreiro FD
5. Sara Hurtado / Kirill Khaliavin RD

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
1) Chock/Bates. USA - FD
2) Komatsubara/Koleta. JPN - RD
3) Min/Eaton. KOR - FD
4) Chock/Bates USA - RD
5) Smart/Diaz. SP - RD

selene16angie

Rinkside
1. Madison Chock/Evan Bates - FD
2. Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen - RD
3. Gilles/Poirier - FD reed
4. Lila/Fear/Lewis Gibson - FD
5. Stepanova/Bukin - RD

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
1. Maddie Chock & Evan Bates - clearly there's no point in nominating anybody else :biggrin:
2. Chock & Bates RD
3. Papadakis/Cizeron RD
4. Papadakis Cizeron FD
5. Stepanova / Bukin RD