Stars On Ice Cancelled | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice Cancelled

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well no big surprise here, Elvis just announced the 2020 Stars on Ice is cancelled. I wasn't going this time anyway, but do wish all the skaters and their families the best and hope they stay safe.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Here's the actual press release with information about ticket refunds: https://www.starsonice.ca/articles/stars-on-ice-2020-tour-cancelled

I worry about how this will affect the skaters and sponsors financially. I believe some of these skaters use the money to finance their careers and this will be devastating. Do they have insurance for this type of thing? When I was touring we had 2 weeks worth of sick or show cancelation pay and that was it.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Do they have insurance for this type of thing?

They may be covered by local stimulus packages. I don't know the details of what's been passed in the US and Canada, but here in Australia sportspeople are eligible for the newly announced wage subsidies, even if they are 'self-employed' rather than members of a team eg cricket or footy. There might be something similar available to skaters up north.

noskates

Record Breaker
I agree with Mr. Rice. I would guess that for a few of those skaters this might have been their major source of revenue this year.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Actually our PM - Justin Trudeau announced a wage subsidy for all Canadians just the other day. This is for people who are self-employed as well and even people who have no means of support.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I worry about how this will affect the skaters and sponsors financially. I believe some of these skaters use the money to finance their careers and this will be devastating. Do they have insurance for this type of thing? When I was touring we had 2 weeks worth of sick or show cancelation pay and that was it.

For many of us, yes it would have been as would other shows overseas.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Stars on Ice Yokohama NOT Cancelled....

It's been officially postponed to April 2021, with - as I have gathered from fan translations - the cast to be announced late this year, followed by a period where tickets can be returned and refunded, and then resold.

https://twitter.com/TBS_figure/status/1249609281793445888

There is, I also imagine, a lot of money already paid and tied up in the shows in Yokohama, more than most :scratch: I wonder if any other of the big shows will try the same idea...