Figure skaters: Height comparison. A very cool video... | Golden Skate

Figure skaters: Height comparison. A very cool video...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad they had the inches and feet on the right hand, although I had to keep looking. So 1.7 meters is 5'6" and 1.8 is 5'9"?

And to have the tallest on the left and the shortest on the right was completely confusing to me:laugh:

But it is cool:)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That Kevin Reynolds is 177cm (nearly 6 feet!) absolutely astonished me, I guess it's his hobbity look (which I love!) which always made me think he must be very short.

Interesting picking out the ones who IMO have a hugely dominating aura on ice, and how many of them are to the right side :laugh:

(PS - they are all, even Kevin and Shoma, still well and truly taller than midget me)

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
mirror mirror on the wall who's the shortest of them all? :laugh: also nothing is as distracting as Lambiel's shirt...:biggrin: for some reasons i believed Fernandez taller than he actually is!

Seven Sisters

Medalist
And then there are the gentlemen who, ahem, appear to have overstated their height a bit in their official bios (which I assume is what was used) That the info which was used may be a bit “enhanced” did bring a smile to my face.

But still, a fun video to enjoy in challenging times. Thanks for posting it!

icetug

Medalist
I was watching it after having read a thread about pair skating, so my first thought when I saw height difference between Evan and Shoma was: "They would make an excellent pair":laugh:.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Boston Worlds 2016 I caught sight of Javier Fernandez and Jin Boyang and was stunned at how tiny they were!! :biggrin:

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Cha and Aymoz were surprising ones for me as well. I pretty much expected Uno to be the least tall.

I wish they would do the same for the ladies :)

mdr19

Rinkside
Aside from the ones already mentioned, I am also a bit surprised by Robin Cousins being 183cm. I knew he is not short, but did not expect him to be this tall.

I am also curious regarding the reasons why some skaters seem a lot taller than they actually are, while for others it might be the other way around. For example, do boyish good looks tend to make people think some skaters are shorter? I guess maybe lines, proportions, costumes, and perhaps even how one moves could be factors as well.

1111bm

Final Flight
I am also curious regarding the reasons why some skaters seem a lot taller than they actually are, while for others it might be the other way around. For example, do boyish good looks tend to make people think some skaters are shorter? I guess maybe lines, proportions, costumes, and perhaps even how one moves could be factors as well.

it's just proportions i.e. length and width/circumference of the head, limbs, torso etc. in relation to each other.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have actually seen Evan a couple of times and he grew a lot following his Junior career. I saw Evan and Johnny at Junior Worlds and they were both tiny and VERY thin. It wasn't until Worlds in 2009 where there was a noticeable change and Evan was clearly the tallest man in the event.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Aside from the ones already mentioned, I am also a bit surprised by Robin Cousins being 183cm. I knew he is not short, but did not expect him to be this tall.

I think it maybe also whom we often see next to one another, and how long they had been around since their last growth spurt. After a while, I think, one will be able to notice if they fall out of the ball-park 170-180 cm range one way or another.

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Because of that height and his marvelous postureand gorgeous lines, Robin has a striking, noble presence on the ice. One of my favorite skaters ever to watch, he commanded your attention.