ISU plans for 2020 World Championships, Congress and follow up | Page 4 | Golden Skate

ISU plans for 2020 World Championships, Congress and follow up

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
In the best case scenario when a second or third wave does not appear globally or is minimal, and limited travel is allowed, would it be possible for the ISU to hold both GP and JGP during the same period? JGP starting this summer is out of question I'd say.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We definitely don't get a JGP this year, or at least not one at the normal time. I don't think we'll get the first few Challengers either.

It's hard for me to predict. I have to remember that not everywhere managed to squash the curve like Australia and New Zealand.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
In the best case scenario when a second or third wave does not appear globally or is minimal, and limited travel is allowed, would it be possible for the ISU to hold both GP and JGP during the same period? JGP starting this summer is out of question I'd say.

The same disclaimer applies. ISU might decide now wether or not to go ahead with certain events, but the ultimate decision lies with the local authorities, wether ISU 'owns' the event or not.

People are in need of diversions in sports, arts and entertainment, I doubt figure skating competitions for children and youths are high on the priority lists.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
April 28 has passed and no news from ISU concerning JGP?

NaVi

Medalist
I'm a bit baffled by the ISU calendar. There's little chance that all the grand prix events are going to be able to go ahead as scheduled. This is why I said it would be much easier to just put on Worlds in the fall than it would be to try to do the Grand Prix. I understand not going that route, but there seems to be little indication about how to mitigate issues with the Grand Prix. They seem to be just coasting on contractualism.

It would be prudent to assume the fall grand prix can not go forward in a normal fashion... and it would have been a good idea to push the events in the 2nd half of the season back a couple months.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm a bit baffled by the ISU calendar. There's little chance that all the grand prix events are going to be able to go ahead as scheduled. This is why I said it would be much easier to just put on Worlds in the fall than it would be to try to do the Grand Prix. I understand not going that route, but there seems to be little indication about how to mitigate issues with the Grand Prix. They seem to be just coasting on contractualism.

It's probably better to plan an event and cancel if needed, rather than not planning an event at all then later realizing it would be safe to hold it (with precautions). I think everyone understands that there is a lot of uncertainty, but it is a little comforting to see that skating is at least trying to get back to normal.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's probably better to plan an event and cancel if needed, rather than not planning an event at all then later realizing it would be safe to hold it (with precautions). I think everyone understands that there is a lot of uncertainty, but it is a little comforting to see that skating is at least trying to get back to normal.

There may also be insurance implications for the organising federations - if they're told to schedule an event by their international body and then have to cancel because of overriding factors/local government decisions, it might leave them in a better financial place.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has Uzbekistan ever had an event before? Except for Japan, most of these events won't have a large audience, so some social distancing would be possible.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
There may also be insurance implications for the organising federations - if they're told to schedule an event by their international body and then have to cancel because of overriding factors/local government decisions, it might leave them in a better financial place.

Claiming insurance money is always a great incentive? Not! No insurer in his right mind will insure any public event with the pandemic not under control. So no, unless you have a solid guarantee, the LOC is losing the money. Otherwise it would be a corporate sponsor or the tax payer.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
ISU has taken decisions: https://isu.org/inside-isu/isu-comm...cisions-of-council-meeting-april-28-2020/file

Main decisions:

Any JGP event is subject to cancellation 10 weeks before the announced scheduled date. First deadline June 15 for the Canadian event.

Any GP event us subject to cancellation 12 weeks before the announced scheduled date. First deadline August 1 for the Skate Canada event.

A task force has been assigned to monitor developments, including sufficient ice time in preparation for all contenders.

ISU Skating Awards 2019/20 will be digital/virtual, a 2020/21 edition is under consideration to take any shape or form.
-----
They just won't give up on these accursed Awards, won't they? Zakaryan has so much power over ISU?

ruga

Final Flight
ISU has taken decisions: https://isu.org/inside-isu/isu-comm...cisions-of-council-meeting-april-28-2020/file

Main decisions:

Any JGP event is subject to cancellation 10 weeks before the announced scheduled date. First deadline June 15 for the Canadian event.

Any GP event us subject to cancellation 12 weeks before the announced scheduled date. First deadline August 1 for the Skate Canada event.

A task force has been assigned to monitor developments, including sufficient ice time in preparation for all contenders.

ISU Skating Awards 2019/20 will be digital/virtual, a 2020/21 edition is under consideration to take any shape or form.
-----
They just won't give up on these accursed Awards, won't they? Zakaryan has so much power over ISU?
What's the point of awards for 2019/20? How can you determine the best coach or the most valuable skater without the most important competition of the season?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
What's the point of awards for 2019/20? How can you determine the best coach or the most valuable skater without the most important competition of the season?

"Further details will be provided in due course." :dev2: ... meaning when Zakaryan's/the money has been tallied? :dev2:

They still might want to try and spoil an eventual Exhibition Gala of the Grand Prix Final with a silly 'Oscar and Grammy' style ceremony.

We should be more concerned over compulsory quarantine in isolation without ice before the event or ice time in general for the young Russian skaters, the main medal contenders. Since the Covid-19 situation is far from under control in Russia, with infection rate and spread still on the rise. That assigned task force's task is far from easy.

ruga

Final Flight
"Further details will be provided in due course." :dev2: ... meaning when Zakaryan's/the money has been tallied? :dev2:

They still might want to try and spoil an eventual Exhibition Gala of the Grand Prix Final with a silly 'Oscar and Grammy' style ceremony.

Goodness me, we will be lucky if we even get GPF. I don't dream about Galas, it's best for everyone if skaters do not have contact with any people who are not their direct competitors or coaches. And what's the point of a Gala if the arenas will likely be empty?

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

Main decisions:

-----

how many times do we have to tell them? we have it already on GS!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Oh for....

Is he going to expect the skaters to dress up in their loungerooms and zoom in? Best of luck with that for guys like Yuzu and Nathan Chen, mate :hopelessness:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, for crying out loud. They're just making a logistical stick to beat their own backs with at this point. For the JGP and GP, for reasons of equity, if they're not not going to bite the bullet and suspend the competitions for the season the rule should be that if the first event in the series is cancelled, they all are. Challengers, there's less of an issue with having gaps because nobody is competing for access to a final tournament, but no matter how they fiddle the numbers to try to compensate for gaps in the JGP and GP, somebody is going to howl and they'll be right to.

And the awards can go hang. They were a stupid idea to start with and nobody cares.

SteamedEggplant

Rinkside
Fine, host the awards show digitally, I guess it gives everyone something new to lament :laugh: But another awards show for the next season??? Why... I suppose at least next time people who buy tickets will know in advance that they're not purchasing regular gala tickets, hopefully.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
JGP Kosice and Nepela Mememorial officially cancelled.

Possibly prudent, or maybe they lack the money for such events right now, but very dispiriting for me. It was the most affordable and most easily accessible competition of the season for me. :(