ISU plans for 2020 World Championships, Congress and follow up | Page 3 | Golden Skate

ISU plans for 2020 World Championships, Congress and follow up

ruga

Final Flight
I am personally convinced that the whole ISU awards thing basically cursed the whole season. It should be cancelled immediately if we want mercy from the skating gods.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Whether the GP can take place or not is up in the air, it may be cancelled.

Honestly, they should knock the GP and JGP on the head right now. The logistics of trying to organise two large multi-national events when some countries won't even have their borders reopened by the start dates (especially the early-starting JGP) are bad enough, but forcing the athletes and coaches to try tp plan their training and seasons around events that probably won't and definitely shouldn't end up happening when most of the countries involved don't even have ice available for choreography and training would be both stupid and, at best, callous. Aim for a few late Challengers and for most skaters to start their seasons at their Nationals.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just, selfishly, can't bear the thought of losing our 4CC. We waited so long, twenty years after France stole our last Championship event, it would be devastating if this stole our next Championship event.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just, selfishly, can't bear the thought of losing our 4CC. We waited so long, twenty years after France stole our last Championship event, it would be devastating if this stole our next Championship event.

I'm holding on to the fact that it's a later event, so has a better chance of happening...

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

It totally would be. But if the season can start in say November or December and then do the Universiade, Euros and Four Continents, even without in-person audiences, it would be something. With any luck, we'll get some skating, Sydney will get its FCCs (and we'll have a livestream running at reasonable hours for once!), the skaters will get to plan and won't get put at risk, and logistics won't be such of a nightmare because borders will be open again and airlines will be running more than skeleton services.

Fingers very, very crossed.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ahem. Not all of skating is big-country skaters.

Was it "shady as hell" when Katia and Harley were going back and forth, because Australia had no other pair? What of the Olympic season? They were cut out of the GP by trashy politics from the big countries and so were forced to go back to JGP - but under your rule, they would not have been allowed, and been forced into limbo, in the most important season of all? Should smaller countries constantly lose spots on the JGP because their only eligible skater skated in Seniors one time?

They already made it harder to go back and forth between juniors and seniors by making skaters meet the TES requirements separately. Skaters must get minimum TES for junior worlds at a junior competition(s), must get TES for 4CC/Euros/SrWorlds at a senior compeitions(s).

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I would hope that locations that lose events will be awarded the same event as soon as possible (the first slot that hasn't already been assigned).

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
i have a solution for you ISU, cancel this stupid thing, we're holding our own skating awards on the site, if you want we can dress up for the occasion :biggrin:

anyway it's too soon as for now to make plans for the fall, anything can or can't change, many countries in the world are working on a vaccine, the earlier test i know of will start at the end of this month in Great Britain

Excellent idea, I think we totally need to consider the results of our awards here the official ones. :hap10:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
No reason not to wear it. I mean, who said that default home attire must be jeans? Heh. The skating award show daily!

Jeans? Well, how la-di-da. I thought pjs and sweatpants were the attire du jour!

McBibus

On the Ice
I have mixed feelings. I don't think it would suck all the oxygen out of the room if the World Championship featured Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kostornaia AND Zagitova, Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva. I, for one, would watch.

Me too.
I don't car on nationality.
Dealing with federations and passport, while ignoring individual skaters is the original sins.

As I said there is an ocean bewteen "representing Russia" and "from Russia".
In the first case you introduce the skaters is an emanation of a "political" entity that could decide to leave him/her home even if he/she's the best in the world.
In the second case the skater represent himself along with everybody that helped him become a top skaters (trainers, family and federation that suppliend infrastractures and programs to help his developement)

I care of skaters, not flags

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Me too.
I don't car on nationality.
Dealing with federations and passport, while ignoring individual skaters is the original sins.

As I said there is an ocean bewteen "representing Russia" and "from Russia".
In the first case you introduce the skaters is an emanation of a "political" entity that could decide to leave him/her home even if he/she's the best in the world.
In the second case the skater represent himself along with everybody that helped him become a top skaters (trainers, family and federation that suppliend infrastractures and programs to help his developement)

I care of skaters, not flags

That, however, removes an incentive for a state to invest in the national athletic programs at entry level outside general fitness. Just see what happened with the results in the countries that stopped supporting a particular sport. We pretty much no longer have Germans and British in figure skating and they used to be quite prominent.

And let me be bland, but the more figure-skating relies on the intangible metrics that could be easily adjusted for a slight but significant variation in ranking, the more important the flag on a skater’s warmup jacket becomes.

That’s why I prefer Grand Prix, with less restrictions, but country they compete for matters in this small/niche sport.

Andrea82

Medalist
Challenger Series events announced

Beijing / CHN September 9 - 13, 2020
Oakville, ON / CAN* September 17 - 19, 2020
Bratislava / SVK September 16 - 19, 2020
Oberstdorf / GER* September 23 - 26, 2020
Espoo / FIN* October 8 - 11, 2020
Budapest / HUN October 15 - 17, 2020
Almaty / KAZ* October 29 - November 1, 2020
Warsaw / POL November 12 – 15, 2020
Innsbruck / AUT November 23 – 30, 2020
Zagreb / CRO* December 2 – 5, 2020

* denotes Events with Pair Skating.

The above calendar, same as the calendar of other ISU series, is subject to a timely normalization of the coronavirus situation allowing the safe organization of ice skating events this Autumn. While the Challenger Series events remain the property of the organizing ISU Members who remain the key decision makers for those events, the ISU is closely monitoring the respective developments with the expectation and hope that the situation will be restored to normal as quickly as possible. The ISU will inform ISU Members in case of any development or related ISU recommendations and/or decision.

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/r...l-16-2020/file

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
And no Lombardia either. It looks like they went for the 'safe' countries, though China and Germany have had quite high numbers. Ah well, we'll see if the Challengers take place in the end, what with the current travel restrictions.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
April 28 is ISU decision day for the coming GP season, right? JPG being first on the calendar is most at risk for outright cancellation.