Synthetic ice and blade damage | Golden Skate

Synthetic ice and blade damage

ellenvel

Rinkside
Hello,

what is your opinion on synthetic ice regarding blades? Will they get damaged? I mean not just get dull but will there also be any change to a SPIN ROCKER? Will a blade profile be affected somehow? What exactly does it do to the blades? And which parametres? Thank you so much.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello,

what is your opinion on synthetic ice regarding blades? Will they get damaged? I mean not just get dull but will there also be any change to a SPIN ROCKER? Will a blade profile be affected somehow? What exactly does it do to the blades? And which parametres? Thank you so much.

First of all, there are many threads on this topic here. Just put "synthetic ice" in the search box at the top right corner of the forum.

Secondly, you have to know if it's newer developed synthetic ice or the old stuff. There are multiple generations of synthetic ice and what they do to your blade depends on that. Some can be "resurfaced" and some cannot. Some will wreck your blades and some will only dull them. It really depends on multiple factors.

ellenvel

Rinkside
It is a newly purchased product called funice that is made in Slovenia. Do not know much about it.

SmallAminal

On the Ice
FWIW, Karen Chen posted on Instagram recently about Polyglide Ice. I have no idea whether its better/worse than the other products when it comes to dulling your blades, but here it is anyway:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-uj52ago5o/

I checked their website out of curiosity - this stuff is not cheap!