Differences in Jump Technique - common variations? | Golden Skate

Differences in Jump Technique - common variations?

SmallAminal

On the Ice
I was curious what are the most "common" current and established practices for jump technique today?

For example, I note that there are variations in the arm positions (not counting 'Tanos and Rippons) during the jump. I learned the other day that my skater uses the "seatbelt" technique (did not know it had a name). I also see that some people put their arms in more of a "mummy pose". Another one looks more like a cross between a mummy pose and a very tight "chicken wing" (no idea how else to describe this but its like you are doing the Chicken Dance and your arms are tight close to your body). Are there other common variations on this?

I also note that the legs may look different during the rotation phase of the jump. Some have their ankles glued together the whole time (like Bradie Tennell) and others start with the free leg more bent and wrapping higher up along the landing leg, and then snapping down mid-jump (presumably to generate more rotation?) like Alina Zagitova. Do either of these techniques have names?

I was also re-watching 2019 US Nationals (hello, Pandemic boredom) and Johnny Weir was saying that Yaroslav Paniot has a very "old Soviet technique" to his jumps, with a wide swinging free leg - I did notice it looked different than most others, but not sure what the "Soviet Technique" is.....LOL

And when exactly did skaters start jumping with their legs crossed? That must have been a huge "innovation" in skating.

gkelly

Record Breaker
And when exactly did skaters start jumping with their legs crossed? That must have been a huge "innovation" in skating.

I'm not sure when it was first done. David Jenkins (late 1950s) seems to be one of the earlier proponents of this technique, and one of the early consistent triple jumpers.

When I was skating in the 1970s, it seemed that coaches taught the crossed position but didn't insist on it. For lower level skaters, whatever got you two rotations on the doubles seemed to be accepted. Judges probably preferred neater positions. The elite skaters who were trying triples mostly used the crossed position.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I believe dick button "pioneered" the modern rotation position, or at least an earlier version of it.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
SmallAnimal - I think you covered every arm position known to skaters! And yes - "chicken wing" is a good way to describe some of the skaters techniques.
Nathan Chen uses the "seat belt" arms in his jumps. My current coach does not feel that one size fits all and as long as her students have a good technique she lets them use whats works for them.

When I was finally able to take lessons in the early 80s the legs crossed position was *the way*.

When I changed rinks, I started with a coach that told me she wanted the legs together position when jumping because "That's how divers spin in the air." I parted ways with her the next day.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
SmallAnimal - I think you covered every arm position known to skaters! And yes - "chicken wing" is a good way to describe some of the skaters techniques.
Nathan Chen uses the "seat belt" arms in his jumps. My current coach does not feel that one size fits all and as long as her students have a good technique she lets them use whats works for them...

I fully agree on your coaches stance of teaching rotation. I was used to be made to do the crossed arm position and I could never break the barrier that allowed me to jump triples. Then I switched to the seat belt position and adjusted my takeoffs slightly to find a more efficient rotation position (seat belt) that I could get into quicker, stay in for longer, and then keep in for as long as possible before landing. On the flip side, some people who try the seatbelt position struggle to maintain upright stance in the air and are flung sideways. This is why its best to let a skater experiment and find the best position - or even multiple positions with different ones for different jumps (I have my arms more to the right of my body on loop) - as it will eventually long term yield the best success.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Some of the variation is also anatomic and strength differences in the skaters.