2006 Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy videos | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2006 Olympic Winter Games - Torino, Italy videos

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Thank you for responding Blades - I always enjoy reading your opinions. I too think that there was a lot of interesting choreography and meaningful footwork.

A funny thing to add about the spin criteria I was talking about, Ilia Klimkin actually did a camel spin in both directions and with change of edge on both feet (the only person to ever do all those things in a spin, as far as I know), but since he didn't have difficult variations or a backward entrance, it was still not enough for Level 4, LOL! Shows how the level calls aren't a completely accurate measurement of difficulty. There was actually a level criteria at the time that nobody utilized, "balance in regards to the amount of revolutions in each variation and on both feet", and I would give that to him, because he did very nearly the same amount of rotations and variation on each foot, but apparently the caller wasn't looking for it. This lovely spin is definitely more difficult than the lackluster catch-foot positions and such that people do to obtain their levels - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVwI_501TUs&t=117

Imagine

Medalist
They finally did it. They finally uploaded the one I've been waiting years to see...the crown jewel. Full HD and no annoying commentary too.

tenor.gif

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plushenko won by such huge margin but all American commentators agreed he shouldn’t have medaled at all!
I remember the first time I saw this US commentated performance on YouTube, it was like "I don't know what those guys just watched."

I was pretty offended by "It's not a program" Oh, did I just imagine the jumps, spins and step sequences? Same when during the 2010 Olympics Jaime LeSale (I think) said "I don't believe in his skating". What does that even mean? Did we just collectively hallucinate Plushy? And the less said about Sandra B on NBC that year the better.

It was a perfect demonstration of how commentary can colour a performance, if you closed your eyes and listened to the US guys first and then... well, pretty much every other country's commentary (I know our Aussie one was very positive) you'd never guess it was the exact same program.

Dick Button was just a cranky old coot here to the point it wasn't even funny.

Ahem, I went off on a rant there, but on topic, Irina Slutskaya's unitard was fabulous! And Barbara F-p's stare...iconic. :laugh2:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Plushenko deserved to win here,

But I didn't like the program much. It was more his skating than the choreograhy.

2004 RN tribute to Nijinsky was the best program he ever had, and the one I enjoyed the most by far.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I was pretty offended by "It's not a program" Oh, did I just imagine the jumps, spins and step sequences? Same when during the 2010 Olympics Jaime LeSale (I think) said "I don't believe in his skating". What does that even mean? Did we just collectively hallucinate Plushy? And the less said about Sandra B on NBC that year the better.
I don't really see why it matters. Most don't remember who won gold in 2010, and almost everyone does in 2006.

And I'm sorry if someone thought the winning 2010 LP was good. There are much more subtle ways of exposing an utter lack of taste. Not that subtlety would mean much in that case.

mrrice

Record Breaker
:laugh: No. They criticised him but didn't say that. Read the comments under the NBC video.

"The commentators were obviously watching another person, than me and the audience..."

We didn't heard their voice because of the crazy audience. Otherwise I have seen many versions of the Godfather. This was the worst in choreographically, I beleive this was the result of Mishin's coaching tactic.
I was so happy for Plushy to get this win. I thought he was going to win in 2002 and was so happy he kept skating and got this win. I was already a huge fan but this win special because it meant so much to him.

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
Sasha Cohen's LP here is an all time masterpiece. It just doesn't matter that she fell.
She saved it from being a total disaster, and it had many nice elements. But masterpiece? With 3 major errors? And her opening jump in the short got a negative GOE. I guess it speaks to the overall low level of the competition that she won Silver. Arakawa basically won Gold by not making a major error besides popping one jump. She avoided triple/triple combos, unthinkable in 2021.

Last edited:

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just rewatched the pairs event and am still puzzled by some of the results. I thought the Polish couple deserved better scores as did Pang & Tong. I love Shen & Zhao and know he was coming back from an achilles injury, but thought that overall they made too many mistakes and should have been off the podium. I know the Zhangs throw was downgraded and a deduction applied for the fall, but is there a deduction for an extended delay for stopping the program due to injury? Just not sure of the rules. I am thinking how different the rules seemed when Jeremy Abbott took his terrible fall, could he have stopped and walked off his fall and restarted after a delay?

On a brighter note, I was amused to see Tatiana Volosozhar (with Stanislav Morozov) and Aliona Savchenko (with Robin Szolkowy) both had the same music for the free skate.

Also, the sound is way off with the music starting before skaters started and ending before the skaters finished. Not fatal, but not as professional as I would have expected. I wonder if that is why the dance events are being delayed, you have better have them skate to the beat!