2020 Peggy Fleming Trophy contingency plan as "virtual" competition | Golden Skate

2020 Peggy Fleming Trophy contingency plan as "virtual" competition

ice coverage

Record Breaker
2020 Peggy Fleming Trophy contingency plan as "virtual" competition

From the official web page:

Peggy Fleming Trophy – UPDATE April 23

2020 Peggy Fleming Trophy Is On!
Enter Now!
Live Competition July 1
or
Virtual Competition On a Future Date​

The third annual Peggy Fleming Trophy will be held by one of two options listed below. The final decision on which format will be announced on or before May 20, 2020. The two options are:

A live, in-person, competition as part of the 2020 Broadmoor Open on July 1, 2020 if our return to sport occurs in the next few weeks.
If not, and pro-actively responding to the current uncertainties and in support of our skating community, the Peggy Fleming Trophy will change to a new format, a virtual competition.
If a virtual competition, all entrants will submit their program digitally and approximately 3-4 weeks after major ice arenas have re-opened. This submission deadline will not be earlier than June 26, 2020.

The competition production details are still being completed. Our message today is to enter now, continue your off-ice training, and pre-plan your Peggy Fleming Trophy (3:30 min.) competition program.

If the event becomes a virtual competition, instructions will be sent to registered athletes. Videotaping can occur at your home training facility.

If the competition is virtual, there will be no entry fee and your credit card will not be charged. ...

With our best wishes for continuing safety and health,

Peggy Fleming and Gale Tanger

As for 2020 Broadmoor Open:

... Covid-19: Due to these uncertain times, please DO NOT purchase your airline tickets until after the competition deadline of May 20th. At that time, depending upon entries & current health recommendations, we will evaluate whether this event should be cancelled or postponed. ...

As of now:

If (???) Broadmoor Open does go forward, it would be the first NQS comp of the season for singles and pairs.

As of Apr 10, USFS already had decided to "pause" the NQS for the month of June.

The Competitions Committee will review the status of the 2020 NQS on Monday, May 18, and take any additional actions at that time, if necessary

last year's competition was great. Jason Brown won with Andrew Torgachev 2nd and Karen Chen 3rd (men and women competing together).

For this event I think a video competition makes sense, since it is mostly about choreography and presentation. The only thing that might take the edge off is that skaters would have do-overs if they missed their jumps. That is, they could do their routines several times and send in the best.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
last year's competition was great. Jason Brown won with Andrew Torgachev 2nd and Karen Chen 3rd (men and women competing together).

For this event I think a video competition makes sense, since it is mostly about choreography and presentation. The only thing that might take the edge off is that skaters would have do-overs if they missed their jumps. That is, they could do their routines several times and send in the best.

The Peggy:) https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...vE-UDsKnkDU9wnXdnckMbLkUpWgCbO0ZQSvCD3nUGVyNk

I don’t agree that it makes sense, regardless of whether this competition focuses on choreography and presentation. The whole point of a competition is that all competitors are judged by the same panel under the same circumstances. Part of performing is your success in reaching an audience. Part of competing is being able to handle your nerves.

What you’re talking about - where someone can record over and over or pick favorable camera angles to disguise weaknesses in rotation, a lack of speed or poor SS, etc. - is akin to audition tapes used to select students for conservatories or in the earliest rounds in a competition. Basically, I think you can use video to make a rough cut or iif you’re just looking at potential - but unless they’re proposing a live comp where they jump virtually from rink to rink, I don’t think it’s a good way to determine who wins a competition.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I don’t agree that it makes sense, regardless of whether this competition focuses on choreography and presentation. The whole point of a competition is that all competitors are judged by the same panel under the same circumstances. Part of performing is your success in reaching an audience. Part of competing is being able to handle your nerves.

What you’re talking about - where someone can record over and over or pick favorable camera angles to disguise weaknesses in rotation, a lack of speed or poor SS, etc. - is akin to audition tapes used to select students for conservatories or in the earliest rounds in a competition. Basically, I think you can use video to make a rough cut or iif you’re just looking at potential - but unless they’re proposing a live comp where they jump virtually from rink to rink, I don’t think it’s a good way to determine who wins a competition.

Of course it’s not the best. I’m sure they would prefer a live competition. But this is called making the best of a bad situation. This is better than not having it at all. And considering it is an artistic competition it makes more sense than a technical competition would. We will have to think of judging each skaters best performance in this instance rather than the performance on a particular day. Personally I am looking forward to anything at this point. It may be a while before any sports return in full force so I am looking forward to any alternative ways of doing things.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Of course it’s not the best. I’m sure they would prefer a live competition. But this is called making the best of a bad situation. This is better than not having it at all. And considering it is an artistic competition it makes more sense than a technical competition would. We will have to think of judging each skaters best performance in this instance rather than the performance on a particular day. Personally I am looking forward to anything at this point. It may be a while before any sports return in full force so I am looking forward to any alternative ways of doing things.

We’re all eager to see skating again. But whether or not a virtual competition is “better than nothing,” I don’t agree with the argument that it’s okay here because it’s “just” an artistic competition. Leaving aside the fact that there are 8 required technical elements in this competition - and having attended it live a couple of times I can tell you that plenty of people flubbed at least one of them - it’s pretty difficult to give a compelling performance of something until you’ve mastered the necessary technique.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I’m sure they would prefer a live competition. But this is called making the best of a bad situation. ...

My gut reaction (mostly in agreement):

I would not want even a JGP or Glacier Falls, for example, to be held as the type of virtual competition that is proposed for 2020 PFT.

But under the extenuating circumstances of the pandemic, I do not think that a virtual version of PFT this year would do any harm. Every year, PFT already is in a separate category of its own.
Because of PFT's non-standard rules and scoring system (such as fixed BVs, non-standard criteria for GOE and components, etc.), an apples-to-apples comparison never can be made between PFT scores (even from live competition) and IJS scores anyway.

Whether PFT ends up being live or virtual this year, I think its overarching mission will continue to be to encourage and celebrate artistic expression from all skaters (even moreso than to determine three medalists).

Plus ... although bragging rights and a limited amount of prize money are at stake, PFT results/scores do not directly "count" for anything else -- not for NQS rankings, for example, or as any step in the qualification pathway for Nats. (Nor do I believe that addition to the ISP could depend on PFT scores, which are not total scores [SP + FS].)

Also, PFT is a relatively new competition, and the rules still are evolving year by year. In 2020, nine elements are required.
Avoiding potential loss of a year in the event's development perhaps was a consideration.​

... This is better than not having it at all. ... Personally I am looking forward to anything at this point. It may be a while before any sports return in full force so I am looking forward to any alternative ways of doing things.

I would venture to guess that some skaters would agree and would want to fill quite a few of the eighteen slots?

Skaters opposed to a virtual format of course would be free to not take part. A choice that would have no downside for those individuals.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Updates:

- 2020 Broadmoor Open now has been cancelled, per its event page.

- Plans for virtual format for 2020 Peggy Fleming Trophy are going forward.

2020 Broadmoor Open Competition
CANCELLED
After careful consideration of the Colorado “Safer At Home” guidelines/restrictions, and our concern for the health and safety of skaters, officials,
volunteers, our members, and the employees of the Broadmoor World Arena, the Board of the Broadmoor Skating Club has decided to cancel
Broadmoor Open 2020. We ask everyone to stay safe and please plan on joining us in 2021 for Broadmoor Open.

June 28 – July 2, 2021

Please Note: We are still moving forward with the Peggy Fleming Trophy (PFT) using a virtual format. If you are a Senior level skater and
would like to enter, please see the updated PFT page for details and registration link. Register by May 20th.

macy

Record Breaker
My gut reaction (mostly in agreement):

I would not want even a JGP or Glacier Falls, for example, to be held as the type of virtual competition that is proposed for 2020 PFT.

But under the extenuating circumstances of the pandemic, I do not think that a virtual version of PFT this year would do any harm. Every year, PFT already is in a separate category of its own.
Because of PFT's non-standard rules and scoring system (such as fixed BVs, non-standard criteria for GOE and components, etc.), an apples-to-apples comparison never can be made between PFT scores (even from live competition) and IJS scores anyway.

Whether PFT ends up being live or virtual this year, I think its overarching mission will continue to be to encourage and celebrate artistic expression from all skaters (even moreso than to determine three medalists).

Plus ... although bragging rights and a limited amount of prize money are at stake, PFT results/scores do not directly "count" for anything else -- not for NQS rankings, for example, or as any step in the qualification pathway for Nats. (Nor do I believe that addition to the ISP could depend on PFT scores, which are not total scores [SP + FS].)

Also, PFT is a relatively new competition, and the rules still are evolving year by year. In 2020, nine elements are required.
Avoiding potential loss of a year in the event's development perhaps was a consideration.​

I would venture to guess that some skaters would agree and would want to fill quite a few of the eighteen slots?

Skaters opposed to a virtual format of course would be free to not take part. A choice that would have no downside for those individuals.

agree! if this were a qualifying competition it would be a huge issue, but i'd assume the participants don't view it as a really serious and stressful competition, and rather something more fun with a bit of money up for grabs. artistic focus competitions are generally a way different atmosphere and much less stressful.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The updated PFT event page as of May 14 has me wondering whether the public will have access to streaming of the virtual competition?
(Maybe even free streaming?? :pray: :popcorn:)

2020 Peggy Fleming Trophy Will Be Held
By
A Streamed Virtual Competition
Enter Now!
The Competition is Limited to 18 Senior Men and Ladies
The 2020 Peggy Fleming Trophy (PFT) has changed to an exciting new format, a virtual competition.

There is NO Entry Fee. There IS prize money.

Entrants will video their competition programs at their home arenas (or arena of your choice) and then upload their program digitally.

Video submission deadline is Friday, July 10, 2020. ...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In a similar vein, today USFS announced cancellation of 2020 U.S. Collegiate Championships, which were scheduled for July 26-29 at IceWorks in Aston, Pennsylvania.

A virtual on-ice competition is one of the options now being explored.

... An alternative to the Collegiate Championship Award Program for collegiate athletes at the junior and senior levels will still be made available.

A virtual on-ice competition and off-ice options are being explored. Final information about the Collegiate Championship Award Program opportunity will be posted late in July on the U.S. Collegiate Championships website (
www.uscollegiatechampionships.com).

Off topic, but some good changes for 2020 (already made before today): (1) the total amount of scholarship money for top skaters at Collegiates is increased to $17,000; (2) it will be divided equally between men and ladies; (3) it will be spread out among a greater number of skaters: both for men and for ladies, the top three seniors and top two juniors.

In past years of Collegiates, a total of $13,500 in scholarship money was awarded only to the top three senior ladies and to the senior men's champion.

ETA (on Jul 29):

Yesterday's follow-up to the Jun 12 announcement of the cancellation of 2020 Collegiates:

July 28 - After announcing the cancellation of the 2020 U.S. Collegiate Championships, U.S. Figure skating planned to announce an alternative opportunity for the Collegiate Championship Award Program in late July. Given the continuing spread of COVID-19 across the country, the committee will now review alternative options and provide an update in Winter 2020-21. Information will be posted to the Collegiate Championships website once it becomes available.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
For me, if everyone isn't competing under the same conditions (same rink, same day, etc.) it isn't a real competition and would be impossible to judge fairly. There are a ton of things that would be hard to assess if you aren't viewing the athletes in person.

For me, if everyone isn't competing under the same conditions (same rink, same day, etc.) it isn't a real competition and would be impossible to judge fairly. There are a ton of things that would be hard to assess if you aren't viewing the athletes in person.

It won't be the same as a "real" figure skating contest. But I can see the concept of a video competition as being cool as something completely different.

The whole team would be judged, including the videography, choreography, sound effects, etc. Who can put on a big show. It wouldn't b so much about who did the biggest jumps, etc., but, as I say, a different kind of comptition and experince for the fans.

Last edited:

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Why can’t they do it on zoom? There could be a starting order and the judges click on each skater’s screen, they do their program, etc

ice coverage

Record Breaker

If you're talking about PFT, my thoughts on concerns like yours are in post #6 above.
Part of my thought process: If skaters during a pandemic are willing to enter an already non-traditional (even in a normal year) competition with the knowledge that they will not be skating in the same rink on the same day and that the format will be virtual, is it acceptable (although not 100% ideal) for the competition to be held? For me, the answer is Yes.

If you're talking about the possibility of Collegiates as a virtual competition, my reply would be similar. Plus as I mentioned above, USFS is planning to give scholarship money to ten of the top Collegiates competitors this year. I think it would be a shame if the entire 2020 competition were completely cancelled and the scholarship money could not be awarded to anyone.

Why can’t they do it on zoom? There could be a starting order and the judges click on each skater’s screen, they do their program, etc

I think you are asking why PFT is not going to have live skating on Zoom?
(Given that nothing has been decided yet for Collegiates.)

I do not know the answer, but for one thing: If PFT were held live on Zoom, then within the same span of two hours or so, eighteen skaters each would need to secure a chunk of ice time at their respective rinks (potentially eighteen different rinks). Perhaps easier said than done? What if hockey sessions are scheduled during that time span at some rinks, and skaters have no nearby alternatives?

Each PFT skater would not need to reserve ice for the full two hours, but maybe something like fifteen minutes? In case of unforeseen delays and/or connectivity issues that could throw the schedule off.
ETA (on Jun 13):
Late withdrawals are something else that could throw the schedule off, unless everyone would be happy to patiently wait in front of their screens during the time already allotted to a skater who withdraws at the last minute (e.g., for injury during warm-up, heaven forbid).​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Big update :hap85::

The likes of Tim Dolensky :luv17:, Jason Brown, Camden Pulkinen, and Starr Andrews will take part in the previously announced first-ever virtual PFT.

USFS will stream the virtual competition on Fan Zone on Fri Jul 17 at 7 pm ET.

Tim D was the winner in the inaugural year of PFT, which was 2018.
Camden placed second.

Jason was the winner last year.

ETA:

BTW, for those who are hoping for non-virtual competition this summer:

At least as of now, Glacier Falls (Aug 20 - 23) and Golden West (Sep 4 - 6) are planning to go forward.​

ETA:
I forgot to mention Mid Atlantics (Sep 10 - 13) as another competition possibly going forward, with possible adaptation of its format.
But AFAIK, it does not have a history of being streamed.

ETA (on Jul 25):
Cancellation of Mid Atlantics was announced today. :(

ETA (on Jul 7):
And I forgot that Skate Wilmington (Sep 1 - 6) for now is going forward, rescheduled from its usual earlier timeframe.​

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am very curious about how this event will work, and what it may mean for other more "high pressure" (that is to say any pressure at all) comps.

And Jason returns to defend his title :hap10: I only hope that the silver medalist from last year, Andrew T., returns as well.

And my man Timmy D.:clap: Quite a surprise, considering he only debarked from his cruise ship on April, (and sooner than expected due to world events). I've seen those cruise ship rinks, and practicing full-on programs I can't imagine. But he can practice that headless scratch spin anywhere:)

Exceedingly curious also to see what the programs will be....

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm just so happy that there will be some figure skating to watch. When will we know the full list?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Per the Jul 8 update on the event page (and on Facebook):

The [videotaped] programs will be evaluated by a world-class group of judges and officials and then formatted by U. S. Figure Skating for worldwide broadcast starting on July 17, 2020 at 7 p.m. ET on US Figure Skating Fan Zone.

So in case anyone else was wondering, the judging of the videos will not be done in real time during the streaming.

Also, the pre-announced maximum number of entries was eighteen, and indeed: "18 U.S. Senior Level nationally and internationally ranked Men and Ladies figure skaters" are competing this year.
Which means that interest from skaters in the virtual event was sufficient to fill all slots. The field of eighteen evidently is willing to accept the non-ideal conditions of the virtual format.

Torgashev and Karen Chen (who last year placed second and third, respectively) are in today's promo video.
Also, Tomoki and Pooja.
And ... Peggy Fleming herself. :bow:
(Jason, Camden, and Starr appear again.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just can't wait to see what Jason is skating to for it!