2020 Peggy Fleming Trophy contingency plan as "virtual" competition | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2020 Peggy Fleming Trophy contingency plan as "virtual" competition

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Maybe if you and I were organizing a skating event we would do it differently. (I'll put up my half of the money if you will. ;) )

Only if we somehow get Yuna Kim and Mao Asada as the judges. And give the person who did a quad an automatic win ;)

gkelly

Record Breaker
Considering that they scored triples and doubles with the same base value, they could also have allowed quads but scored them with the same base values as the triples and doubles.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course. We all are. :yes:

[quoteWhat credibility do I assign to the organisers who can't recognize the entirely different looks on the ice I can get out of quads?

I am pretty sure that the organizers recognize that quads give entirely different looks, They didn't want those looks for this competition. Maybe if you and I were organizing a skating event we would do it differently. (I'll put up my half of the money if you will. ;) )[/QUOTE]

Just jumping off from your post, Peggy Fleming did put up her name, and at least the money for the sculpture, and I think she knows from quads.

And she decided, for the competition that bore her name, that they should not be worth more than any other kind of jump.

My kind of gal:agree:

^ I look at it this way. To paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt, it is the person in the arena who counts, not the critic who stands to the side and points out where the doer of deeds could have done better.

This was a fine event, conceived and carried out under challenging conditions. I tip my hat to all involved.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Well, then I suppose it's time to start ignoring American skating yet again. Absolutely nothing good ever comes out of it for me. I'll be that critic who left the room to visit a trendy restaurant instead, and maybe eventually all the other critics in this judged sport will join me - though of course, that's how it seems American skating is usually judged anyway, with no one present to watch.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Appreciation of quads tends to be obsessive to the exclusion of all else in figure skating, or, at least they tend to overwhelm a program. I am not against quads and am the last to say they aren’t artistic but they take up a lot of energy to perform, are most often not successfully realized so the art or dance of skating is lost. This may be changing... there are a very few skaters who can pull off a quad in an exquisite program and make it art, Trusova & Sherbakova & the newest Russian junior KV coming up in the ranks cases in point; even Takahashi, a true ice artist, managed a quad occasionally in his programs without in the least sacrificing artistry. But in the current stage of development quads do tend to take center stage in programs; the PFT’s focus is on skating as pure art and skate-dance which Jason achieved so well in this most recent outing. Skating in this form is just as legitimate as quad filled competitions. I enjoy both but it will be a long while before a marriage of the two becomes the norm.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I *did* actually say this was fine with COVID around. But really, if people were going to take what I said as specific criticism for Brown and tell me I was wrong and cite multiple sources I find incorrect, am I expected to just shut up, and then see a mixtape version of "screw the haterz lolz"...? But it's ok. I expect peaceful co existence with fans of American skating hereon. Much like say "stars on Ice" and "people who don't attend" peacefully coexist.

Well, then I suppose it's time to start ignoring American skating yet again. Absolutely nothing good ever comes out of it for me. I'll be that critic who left the room to visit a trendy restaurant instead, and maybe eventually all the other critics in this judged sport will join me - though of course, that's how it seems American skating is usually judged anyway, with no one present to watch.

I look at it this way. Not every skating event has to be the Olympics or the Worlds Championships. Sometimes we can do something just for fun.

This was fun, something a little different. The skaters enjoyed performing. The fans who watched on-line enjoyed the performances. It gave us a little window on how a "virtual" competition might be organized in case the covid restrictions linger. To me, it was all good.

As for the demise of American skating, this off-the-mainstream entertainment/competition is not really a factor one way or another. Nathan Chen will still practice his quads, Alysa Liu will try her best to catch up to the young Russian ladies, the USA ice dancers will contend for medals in ISU competition. Something for everyone. :yes:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I enjoyed this competition a lot. I had the feeling the skaters enjoyed performing too. As usual Jason made me cry (he's such a wonderful performer) and it offered the possibility to watch some wonderful skaters I didn't know beforehand. Of course, I didn't 'get' the scoring. Did it matter? Not to me. After being starved of skating for some time, this was just wonderful. And...the more I become involved in the sport, the more I wish the skaters to enjoy themselves as well. There's too much heartbreak among (very) young people in the official circuit, and this competition was joyful. And that's how it should be. Well, to me that is.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

American skaters overall, but particularly the women, haven't done a good job adapting to the post-6.0 judging system. From the perspective of producing enjoyable programs, I think they have largely kept up. Ashley W, Karen C, and Mariah have had some great performances. Obviously, they haven't produced the results internationally because jumps and complex choreography are more important than ever, but programs I rewatch from a competition and programs I think deserved to win that athletic event often are different. I still like the American women as much as ever.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoyed this competition a lot. I had the feeling the skaters enjoyed performing too. As usual Jason made me cry (he's such a wonderful performer) and it offered the possibility to watch some wonderful skaters I didn't know beforehand. Of course, I didn't 'get' the scoring. Did it matter? Not to me. After being starved of skating for some time, this was just wonderful. And...the more I become involved in the sport, the more I wish the skaters to enjoy themselves as well. There's too much heartbreak among (very) young people in the official circuit, and this competition was joyful. And that's how it should be. Well, to me that is.

Well said! I enjoyed it more than I thought I would and it was a nice touch to have each skater introduce their program and mention what their "highlight" was. There were a few of the ladies I had never seen before of varying quality. Of the ladies, I really liked Courtney Hicks's program which surprised me because she's been very hit or miss for me. I'm glad she is still training and competing. Karen also looked amazing but I didn't like the Katy Perry song she chose.

Everyone else has been kvelling over Jason and I won't add anything to that other than he was the well deserved winner.

I hope to see similar competitions in this format while we are still dealing with CV19.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Today Fan Zone has a new article looking back at PFT, with reaction and new quotes from Jason Brown and from Courtney Hicks (lady with highest placement):

Skaters Relish In The Ability To Work Toward A Goal Again With The Sport’s First Virtual Competition

7/27/2020 6:00:00 AM
by Brandon Penny

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...ith-the-sports-first-virtual-competition.aspx

ETA (on Aug 7):

Broadmoor Skating Club's recap page for 2020 PFT has the mini-bio graphics (from the competition video) for all seventeen competitors. It's a handy-dandy resource for future reference. Hometown, training town, club, and coach are listed.

http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/2020-peggy-fleming-trophy-recap/

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Looking ahead to summer 2021:

For 2021, the virtual format of Peggy Fleming Trophy will be used again -- per announcement on Jan 28, 2021.

It once again will be a streamed event.
Top three skaters will receive the same prize money as before, and "additional prizes are under development."

The event now has its own social media accounts: