2020 Peggy Fleming Trophy contingency plan as "virtual" competition | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2020 Peggy Fleming Trophy contingency plan as "virtual" competition

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Bravo to all the skaters. Congratulations to Jason for such a beautiful, emotional, perfect program!

The score breakdown: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/2020PFT/CAT001SEG001.html
Judges detail scores: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2020/2020PFT/SEGM001.html

A few of the skaters had time violations (Karen Chen, Sierra Venetta) and a few (Camden Pulkinen, Starr Andrews, Sierra Venetta) received no points for the step sequence.

ETA:
If anyone has a problem with the the links I posted above (they work for me sometimes), the link to the results is at the bottom of the competition page:

https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/s...mpetition.aspx

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I confess this was the first time I took a full interest to watch this event, due to the complete deprivation, and I wasn't disappointed. Of course I am partial to Jason and was driven to tears even from the point where he assumed the starting pose, and continued to gush the river of tears until he finished - it was yet another masterpiece from the team J-Ro :luv17:
But Torgashev and Dolensky were also stunning. I "mildly" liked them previously, but this was the first time they fully got my intense attention and wowed. It was IMO the clear effect when the program is not focused on ultra C jumps, and it brings out so much more richness in overall performance. I can't help but wonder how many skaters can shine in a whole different light when their minds aren't caught up over the jump requirements. I think this competition offers something to consider definitely for future competitions, or option for different kind of competitions apart from the jump oriented ones.
I still dislike the definition of "artistic program" though. It sounds as if there is less technique required. IMHO carrying off a program packed with choreography, intricate footwork and transitions with minimum of "just skating around" equally requires a high level of skills, technique and strength, though in a different way from an execution of ultra C jumps. I do understand the possible sticking point though when it comes to scoring, it's much less clear-cut than a jump technique, and easily swayed by subjectivity. Perhaps they can incorporate the judging standard of ice dancing?

removof

On the Ice
It's so fun to see again figure skating!

Virtual figure skating is the future because with the covid19 ISU must to adapt his sport.

*Tomoki Hiwatashi it's so energetic i love his program!

*i love rise the song of Katy Perry skate by Karen Chen is modern, powerful!

*Pulkinen is bewitching so nice this program

*i like Savary program is refined and melancholic

*I don't like Dolensky program i find it's boring.

*I love Torgashev is so modern so spectacular so innovative! It's a real pleasure to see him!

*i love Brown is so magical he's in an artist and so melancholic

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
It was so nice to watch new skating! I really applaud them for trying this out and I hope some other competitions will do this as well, I think it went really well especially considering it was the first of its kind. Also, this was my first time watching the Peggy Fleming Trophy and I really enjoyed it, I'd love to see more competitions with unconventional rules.

Jason Brown unsurprisingly completely stole my heart with this program <3. I can't get over how amazing he was.

I like that we kind of got to see everyone at their best due to the video format. I really enjoyed nearly everyone. That being said PERSONALLY my favorites were Jason, Tomoki, Emmanuel, and Starr. I LOVED Tomoki's music choice, and I'd never seen Emmanuel before and am definitely a new fan.

Me too, I've never seen Emmanuel before but am a new fan - gorgeous skating.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It was so great to see some new skating! :) I thought that the video quality was quite good overall, given the circumstances (although I wished that they had shut the doors going onto the rinks - They were open in most videos).

I thoroughly enjoyed Tomoki's program and music. I just wish that he would perform facially a bit more.

Jason's performance was the standout for sure. He is made for competitions like this. Everything that he does so well is emphasized and valued.

I also really enjoyed Emmanuel's program. He has lovely arms and spins well.

It was also nice to see some skaters whom I did not know. I quite liked Sonja's program, as it had some interesting moves.

Hopefully there will be some more virtual competitions this year. :)

Did you notice the program where there was a Zamboni sitting on the ice (in a corner, so it only showed a couple of times)? Also, in one video someone was doing jumps on the floor just beyond the boards. But I agree with you that the video quality was very good overall.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Did you notice the program where there was a Zamboni sitting on the ice (in a corner, so it only showed a couple of times)? Also, in one video someone was doing jumps on the floor just beyond the boards. But I agree with you that the video quality was very good overall.

Yes, that was Dolensky in Atlanta with the Zamboni. In many rinks they will put the zamboni partially onto the rink to let the skaters know to get off the ice, it's time for ice resurfacing, putting in onto the ice was more than likely due to where and how vacant Tim's rink was.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes, that was Dolensky in Atlanta with the Zamboni. In many rinks they will put the zamboni partially onto the rink to let the skaters know to get off the ice, it's time for ice resurfacing, putting in onto the ice was more than likely due to where and how vacant Tim's rink was.

The first time I saw it, I thought I was imagining it. I looked for it next time he went into that corner, and it really was there. It didn't interfere with his program at all.

The first time I saw it, I thought I was imagining it. I looked for it next time he went into that corner, and it really was there. It didn't interfere with his program at all.

The skater could use it as a prop in the choreography!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The skater could use it as a prop in the choreography!

Fortunately it was just a square white "thing" sitting in the corner. If it had been festooned with ads, it would have been more intrusive.

I noticed that some of the rinks had just re-painted their boards. It was a real step up from the usual excessive ads (major comps) or puck-marked dirty white (minor comps).

Dr. Jenn

Medalist

Yes, I totally saw that! I thought that I was imagining things at first too. :p

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I found Jason's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbGO8rXM53g
The way the music is overlaid makes it too distracting to me to be able to judge the choreo in full currently, but I like that moment where he traces a circle while transitioning from a fan spiral to a kerrigan, on a back outside edge. The ending as he starts building into a spiral into a slide though... nah. It's a bit longer than the length of an SP (unless I scrolled through the video incorrectly), so maybe it will be dropped - the ending after the combo spin (with speed variation in time with the music!) at about 3:45 is more open. Or maybe it will look better on competitive ice, it's a rather unique ending to an SP. (Or is it a long program lol, that would make more sense)

ETA: This has the men but not the women: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2dgm0xEU7N587U1fuaYh9Q

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I found Jason's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbGO8rXM53g
The way the music is overlaid makes it too distracting to me to be able to judge the choreo in full currently, but I like that moment where he traces a circle while transitioning from a fan spiral to a kerrigan, on a back outside edge. The ending as he starts building into a spiral into a slide though... nah. It's a bit longer than the length of an SP (unless I scrolled through the video incorrectly), so maybe it will be dropped - the ending after the combo spin (with speed variation in time with the music!) at about 3:45 is more open. Or maybe it will look better on competitive ice, it's a rather unique ending to an SP. (Or is it a long program lol, that would make more sense)

ETA: This has the men but not the women: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2dgm0xEU7N587U1fuaYh9Q

The programs for Peggy Fleming have a different time requirement than SPs or LPs; I believe the point is to allow more time for transitions, choreo sequences, or step sequences, or any elements other than jumps.

"Melancholy" is one of two potential SPs that Rohene has choreographed for Jason. Presumably, as an SP, it will meet more of the traditional requirements. And meet the time requirements :). This article talks about Jason's programs vis à vis Peggy Fleming and his SPs.

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/s...-virtual-figure-skating-peggy-fleming-trophy/

I also miss the sound of blades on ice with the "one channel" overlaid music, but I think the organizers are to be commended just putting this together. The "one channel sound" has also done in junior events and some challengers, IIRC. Hopefully, if the ISU truly looks at putting on virtual events, maybe we can have more complete sound.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I got that it was probably a program. He was doing level 4 footwork in it. But then I wish they had modified it in a better way, make the footwork unleveled, and changed the ending (stolen from Schindler's List) if it was simply supposed to be artistic - hope the competition sees entirely different programs choreograhed specifically for it in the future, if possible. I get maybe not possible with Covid around, and he was the only one I even got anything out of, but jarring ending for me.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
... changed the ending (stolen from Schindler's List) ...

I am afraid I do not understand this particular point.

Jason ends Schindler's List in a crouch on the ice. He ends "Melancholy" (at least this version) staring up at the sky. Now, both are "sad" endings I guess, but they are different positions. :confused:I also highly doubt Rohene is looking to David Wilson for choreo, but you never know;)

If anything, I thought Andrew T.'s ending pose, in a crouch on the ice, was too reminiscent of Jason's Schindlers.