If Tonya Harding had been coached by Eteri, do you think she would hav | Golden Skate

If Tonya Harding had been coached by Eteri, do you think she would hav

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
I’ve been rewatching Tonya Harding competition videos, and I must say I think she had room for quads. Her triples were so easy. I wonder, had Tonya been coached by today’s quads coaches and had she had a more stable personal life, do you think she would have landed quads?

https://youtu.be/tIGoWGjetog

I was also very surprised with this recent video of her at Ellen. She does doubles very easily, spins very well, even in her current age and weight. It’s quite impressive. I wonder what she could contribute to the sport if she were given a second chance.

https://youtu.be/d_y1SI3caMU

Also, one last question: do you think it’s time to forgive her?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
No, she would struggle.
Eteri works with smaller bodies, tonya had totally the wrong build for the dudakov technique. Her coach had the right technique for her.

sparklestan

On the Ice
I think I read somewhere that Tonya was training (and landing?) 4Lo. It wouldn’t have been worth the risk to compete it during her era with that judging system.
Not positive that is completely true...I think it was mentioned during the documentary made on her around the time of I, Tonya.

But I agree that her coaches technique worked better for her than Eteris/Dudakovs would have.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
NO all around.

Tonya and Eteri would have clashed personality-wise as well.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
A Tonya-Eteri partnership probably wouldn't last a week. Eteri demands total discipline/dedication and Tonya never had either. Even the coaches who were like second mothers (Dodi I think?) to her couldn't get her to listen to them

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
A Tonya-Eteri partnership probably wouldn't last a week. Eteri demands total discipline/dedication and Tonya never had either. Even the coaches who were like second mothers (Dodi I think?) to her couldn't get her to listen to them

On the other hand Eteri helped her students with their housing and life situations, when they moved from other regions etc. and was accommodating to their needs so that they could train. Evgenia even lived in Eteri’s house for some time I believe. Maybe it would’ve helped Tonya, since I believe a lot of her problems in training came from her personal life being difficult.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On the other hand Eteri helped her students with their housing and life situations, when they moved from other regions etc. and was accommodating to their needs so that they could train. Evgenia even lived in Eteri’s house for some time I believe. Maybe it would’ve helped Tonya, since I believe a lot of her problems in training came from her personal life being difficult.

Evgenia has always lived with her mother. She did hang out at Eteri's house with Diana and Sima, I believe.

Arbitrary

Medalist
Did Tonya really smoke right during competitions, as shown in the movie?
TUT would personally spank her publicly.
(it may prevent the good old lungs cancer, you know)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I don't think. It depends on Tonya's personality and Eteri's method. Order, discipline, work

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I’ve been rewatching Tonya Harding competition videos, and I must say I think she had room for quads. Her triples were so easy. I wonder, had Tonya been coached by today’s quads coaches and had she had a more stable personal life, do you think she would have landed quads?

I think Tonya Harding and Surya Bonaly both had the physical capacity to rotate and land quads, and if they'd had access to today's resources and more developed training methods they might have stabilised the jumps done so successfully in competition (I know Bonaly attempted a quad in competition at least once; Harding trained the 4Lo but I don't think she ever attempted it in competition?). Bonaly might have added a 3A to her jump lineup too. But I also think that neither of them was a good physical match for the Tutberidze school's training methods, and Harding in particular was so damaged so young in so many ways that the environment of that school would have either destroyed her or rejected her very quickly. Both Harding and Bonaly would probably have done better with a latter-day Mishin style training environment.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I don't think I could see Tonya Harding being coached by someone three years younger than her.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
No.

Also, I know both of Tonya's coaches. They are both really wonderful people and great coaches. There were many issues at play in Tonya's situation. It's not fair to compare skating then to today.

noskates

Record Breaker
Wow, things are really getting boring in Figure Skating if a speculation like this becomes interesting.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow, things are really getting boring in Figure Skating if a speculation like this becomes interesting.

This is so random. I guess we might and what Yuna was coached by Eteri or... I tend to believe there would a personality clash and discipline issues. Eteris skater had that more aerodynamic approach. Tonya had power and muscle. She doesn't look llike she would be comfortable a miniature dog She would have a rifle.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
LOL Eteri and Tonya.. one of them would of really committed a murder at the rink..just not sure which one first.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
O actually suggested it sarcastically, because I know many people act like Eteri is the best coach ever [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. The simple thought of Tonya and Eteri made me laugh by the time I posted this thread. My intent was to check if more people thought Tonya would be able to jump quads if she was skating today, and disconsidering her personal problems, because her triples are amazing.

mrrice

Record Breaker
O actually suggested it sarcastically, because I know many people act like Eteri is the best coach ever [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. The simple thought of Tonya and Eteri made me laugh by the time I posted this thread. My intent was to check if more people thought Tonya would be able to jump quads if she was skating today, and disconsidering her personal problems, because her triples are amazing.

I agree with this. Most of you know that I saw Tonya live when she won Skate America back in 1991. She was tiny and her jumps were HUGE! She was built quite differently than the Eteri ladies that I have seen. She was muscular in both her lower AND upper body. When I compare her to Maria Butyrskaya who was quite slight in both her upper and lower body. It makes me think that Eteri selects a certain type of body frame and that Tonya would not have been to her liking. I don't think they would have been a match.