Will Zagitova return? | Golden Skate

Will Zagitova return?

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
Do you think that Zagitova is going to return next season and why or why not? Now that Alexandra is no longer part of Eteri's camp, she can have even less success than in the 2019-2020 season. And Eteri needs another girl for podium sweeping.

Scott512

Record Breaker
H*'ll yes! The third spot will be wide open between Alina Sasha and Kamila. And by 2022 Russia will probably have seven of the top 10 in the rankings so then should be allowed at least for skaters in the next Olympics. Zhenya might be in the mix if she can learn a quad.

This is of course speculating that there will be a winter Olympics in less than two years and that's in doubt considering we're the Olympics take place. I know they moved the Summer Olympics to next summer in 2021 but I think those are even in doubt at this point because Japan has been hit so hard with Coronavirus.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Honestly I doubt it, but good for her if she does and just as good for her if she doesn't.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
I think that Alina has much better technique than Trusova and Shchervakova. Both Alina and Alyona have much better technique.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
And by 2022 Russia will probably have seven of the top 10 in the rankings so then should be allowed at least for skaters in the next Olympics.
They have never changed the eligibility rules in the past when one country was dominant in a particular discipline, and they aren't going to start now.

As to the OP, no, I would be extremely surprised if that happened. It would take a lot of work to revamp her jump technique for an adult frame, and that's something Sambo 70 isn't known for.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I don't think so.

Gosh at this point I'll be happy if Alena K makes it to the Olympics. The turn over in Russia is overwhelming.

sparklestan

On the Ice
I really hope she does!! She is a wonderful skater and it would be a shame for her not to compete. At this point I have no idea what her plans are, but if she wants to compete she should go for it.

GO ALINA!! :hap10::hap10:

Good Vibes Only

On the Ice
Yes!! I think that I remember her saying that she missed competing, so I am hoping that that means she wants to come back! I really hope that she comes back! Russian Nats wasn’t the same without her :(

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Has Alina ever beat Sasha? I don’t understand how anyone honesty believes she’s going to be the one that could get the Eteri sweep and keep Sasha from making the podium.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I hope but realistically don't believe it. But if her love with FS means more to her than the fame and she willing to work out her gut again, maybe. But she has no quad or 3A. Can she learn them?

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
It would be nice but i don't think so.

She doesn't retire only because russian skaters tend to get funding as long as they can (which i've feelings about it), Sotnikova retired only 2 months ago, she hasn't competed in the last 5 years and still was getting the money all these years.

2018-19 season she struggled at almost every competition but judges often gave her the benefit of the doubt, as Olympic Champion and she ended on a very high note at Worlds.

2019 GP you could see judges were already less forgiving on the mistakes, and the free program was less competitive with the frontloaded combo, while artistically both short and long were a bit better but there's still room for improvements there as well.

FayD

spring will come 🌸
On the Ice
I really hate the idea of that free skate at GPF being Alina's last competitive skate. Of course, she has nothing to prove to anyone, but she deserves to end her career on a better note for her own sake.

Plus, her short program this season showed a lot of growth in expression and maturity and I'd love to see her do more programs in a similar vein. Technically, she could still be relatively competitive if she skates clean.

Either way, it's her decision and she should do what makes her happy and is best for her. :)

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I hope so, but the choice lies with Alina. I will be happy with either choice, because at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is what Alina wants for herself.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I don't think so.

Gosh at this point I'll be happy if Alena K makes it to the Olympics. The turn over in Russia is overwhelming.

When you build a program on prepubescent girls and their anatomic quirks, you are at the mercy of anatomy. And anatomy is at the mercy of time. So relentless turnover is inevitable.