Will Zagitova return? | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Will Zagitova return?

Nothing TallyT said about either Alina or Anna is objectionable. Calling someone the "queen bee" or the "golden-haured girl" or "king of the hill" can be used sarcastically, but it is pretty mild even then. Medvedeva is the Queen of Orser's group (the queen Cricket, if not the queen bee). These threads give the impression that the mob is just lying in wait hoping for someone to hint at an imaginary slight to Tutberidze's group so they can rise up in high dudgeon.

Anyway, Eteri Tutberidze is the queen bee of the figure skating coaching hive. (No insult, no praise, just fact.) :)

After the controversial departures of Sasha and aliona Alina will come back breathing fire next season.

I think she will come back instead with quite determination.

But I wouldn't blame her if she decides that she has had enough and strikes out in a new life direction.

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Nothing TallyT said about either Alina or Anna is objectionable. Calling someone the "queen bee" or the "golden-haured girl" or "king of the hill" can be used sarcastically, but it is pretty mild even then. Medvedeva is the Queen of Orser's group (the queen Cricket, if not the queen bee). These threads give the impression that the mob is just lying in wait hoping for someone to hint at an imaginary slight to Tutberidze's group so they can rise up in high dudgeon.

Anyway, Eteri Tutberidze is the queen bee of the figure skating coaching hive. (No insult, no praise, just fact.) :)

Nothing? Clearly some people are uncomfortable with it if they bring it up. These metaphors sound kind of arrogant.

I would not want to be called queen bee. Hive implies a lack of uniqueness. Hive mind. Certainly not respectful of the coaches.

Fact:
Eteri is the top ladies coach. Anna is her highest ranked senior skater, who is also 2-time National Champion in the most dominant country.

Isn’t Rika at Orser’s?

Fact:
Eteri is the top ladies coach. Anna is her highest ranked senior skater, who is also 2-time National Champion in the most dominant country.

To me, that is the important point. Fans of Tutberidze and of Anna should be happy about the facts, not ready to go off on a hair trigger.

About the term "queen bee," it is sometimes used to describe a lady boss (particularly in a business setting) in a position of authority that is usually reserved for men. It can also mean a lady who holds court surrounded by a flock of male admirers. In this present context, "little queen bee" carries the somewhat negative context of teacher' pet.

But my goodness -- you would think that that poster said "Anna, that horrible full-blade assisting under-rotating excuse for a human being, should be be boiled in oil," judging by the over-reaction that this casual remark aroused. It's like a religious cult.

Last edited:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Nothing? Clearly some people are uncomfortable with it if they bring it up. These metaphors sound kind of arrogant.

I would not want to be called queen bee. Hive implies a lack of uniqueness. Hive mind. Certainly not respectful of the coaches.

Fact:

Isn’t Rika at Orser’s?
Rika is still in Switzerland at Lambiel's camp since Canadian borders are still closed for non-essential workers. There have been some Japanese articles appearing the past few weeks with speculations that she may not switch to Orser due to travel restrictions etc.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Fact:

Isn’t Rika at Orser’s?

I don't think that the metaphor sounds arrogant, as that is a matter of opinion. I prefer not to take offense where none is meant.

From what I know, "Hive" is the highest form of fandom in many places. Anna could do far worse than to have her fans, at least, referred to as a hive.:) I don't see why the training camp would be any different.

The "BeyHive", for Queen Bey, (Beyoncé) is one of the most well known fandoms in the world. There is a KHive for Senator Kamala Harris (no comments please on politics, I am just listing as a famous "Hive") and in the Philadelphia sports world, we have the Mike Scott Hive, the fandom for Philadelphia 76er Mike Scott.

Queen Bee Anna is quite the compliment, and long may she reign for her fans in the S-Hive.:hap10:

Last edited:

colormyworld240

Medalist
I don't think that the metaphor sounds arrogant, as that is a matter of opinion. I prefer not to take offense where none is meant.

From what I know, "Hive" is the highest form of fandom in many places. Anna could do far worse than to have her fans, at least, referred to as a hive.:) I don't see why the training camp would be any different.

The "BeyHive", for Queen Bey, (Beyoncé) is one of the most well known fandoms in the worlds. There is a KHive for Senator Kamala Harris (no comments please on politics, I am just listing as a famous "Hive") and in the Philadelphia sports world, we have the Mike Scott Hive, the fandom for Philadelphia 76er Mike Scott.

Queen Bee Anna is quite the compliment, and long may she reign for her fans in the S-Hive.:hap10:

:eek:topic: It's interesting those are the examples you think of for "queen bee". So it's definitely cultural/generational. For me, the examples that come to mind are Regina George from Mean Girls and Sharpay Evans from HSM. No one would want to be compared to those girls. Well, at least no one I'd want to know.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:eek:topic: It's interesting those are the examples you think of for "queen bee". So it's definitely cultural/generational. For me, the examples that come to mind are Regina George from Mean Girls and Sharpay Evans from HSM. No one would want to be compared to those girls. Well, at least no one I'd want to know.

You are right, context is everything. I’ve never seen Mean Girls or High School Musical:eek:: I agree that Queen Bee can be used as a negative, but I would think of the other examples first. if someone says that they didn’t mean it that way, well, I’m OK with that. As a Jason fan, for example, there are enough straight-out negative comments on his jumps and how he is scored that I just lead the charge on those and forget about the rest. So that’s my default :laugh:

:eek:topic:

Kittosuni

Medalist

Grew up in Asia, went to international school in the Middle East with predominantly Arab with mixed European/South American students and currently living in the US and I tell you, you don't want to be associated with the word queen bee.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I said let it rest there. You appear (to coin the obvious phrase) to have a bee in your bonnet about anyone who even inadvertently or in passing impugns your version of your beloved team, but for goodness' sake, get a grip.

Pointing that "star system" is not how TT works, therefore there could be hardly anyone called "Eteri's little queen bee", is not coming from some blindness, it's pretty known fact, though I see that the easiest way is to accuse the opponent of "having beloved team" or so (and everything that's coming from that). :noshake:

There wouldn't be anything that would require to "let it rest", if people wouldn't project particular wrong concepts and ideas onto the completely wrong place. As well as when there wouldn't exist that double standard and perpetuous changes in narrative that are related to everything about TT.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
To me, that is the important point. Fans of Tutberidze and of Anna should be happy about the facts, not ready to go off on a hair trigger.

About the term "queen bee," it is sometimes used to describe a lady boss (particularly in a business setting) in a position of authority that is usually reserved for men. It can also mean a lady who holds court surrounded by a flock of male admirers. In this present context, "little queen bee" carries the somewhat negative context of teacher' pet.

But my goodness -- you would think that that poster said "Anna, that horrible full-blade assisting under-rotating excuse for a human being, should be be boiled in oil," judging by the over-reaction that this casual remark aroused. It's like a religious cult.

TBH there is a particular number of people I honestly suspect precisely of this. :biggrin: Maybe I'm too much into this but on my defence I would say that there is about as big number of people who I guess suspect me of thinking the similar way about Zhenya for instance, which among other things I can judge from the reactions when I sometimes use her simply as a comparison in something, where it is in no way meant as personal thing, truly just as an example. And this is once again an example.

This started because I truly see calling Anna "Eteri's little queen bee" as urging a picture of some spoiled brat who is just trained to one purpose - Eteri's vengeance to the world who betrayed her, similarly to what Ms. Havisham wanted to create of Estella in Great Expectations.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Does anyone have a clip of her practicing the 4F in a harness?

Would like it if Zagitova continues to compete, if she wants to. She’s talented enough to offer so much more artistically, I believe.

It's a sobering thought that she is currently the same age as kids in quite a few countries (like ours) who are making their very first life/career decision as they leave school. And yet, she has achieved - and she has given - pretty much everything there for the elite in our sport. And equally yet, you're right, like so many of them, she has more to offer and more to achieve if she wants to.

I can't say I wish her, or any of them, to have no regrets, because regrets are a part of any life (and when you think of it, these girls in all countries have fifty, sixty or more years of hopefully rich full and happy life after their sporting retirement). But I do wish them all as few regrets and as much content as the rest and the best of us.

The original question was 'will' she return. It could - though I doubt correctly - have been 'should' she return. Seems to me that despite 13 pages and 360 odd posts, the answer is still in those four words. If she wants to. Because the simple question, whether it's "why should she?" or "why shouldn't she?" can't really be even touched by anyone else, can it?

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
Are people really arguing about the term queen bee? Oh my. The skating season needs to start ASAP, otherwise people will be arguing over usernames.

readernick

Medalist
Are people really arguing about the term queen bee? Oh my. The skating season needs to start ASAP, otherwise people will be arguing over usernames.

This was my thought when entering this thread, too. Thank goodness for Russian test skates. It still give posters on this forum something else to argue about.

My two cents about the great expression connotation war of August 2020, Queen Bee can be either positive or negative (as is the case with many words) depending on the tone and context. It can be used in the "Mean Girls" context, but has also been reclaimed by women to refer to someone who others look up to. I don't think the original poster meant it as a pejorative.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
This was my thought when entering this thread, too. Thank goodness for Russian test skates. It still give posters on this forum something else to argue about.

I think the forum will explode because of the test skates. Im predicting a lot of fire after it.. and Queen Annabee cult is always ready to fight :biggrin:

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
It’s funny you mention mean girls, that’s exactly where my mind went too. The book mean girls is based on is actually called “queen bees and wannabees.” Def a generational thing but queen bee is often associated with mean girls who bully others.

readernick

Medalist
I think the forum will explode because of the test skates. Im predicting a lot of fire after it.. and Queen Annabee cult is always ready to fight :biggrin:

Anyone who has been on this forum is aware of the power of the Anna cult. Anna certainly does seem like someone who deserves devotion. Seems like a delightful girl.
Anyway, I really did enjoy the test skates today and I don't feel any inclination to argue more about obscure terms:laugh: