Will Zagitova return? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Will Zagitova return?

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Why don't we wait and see with this. There is no point trying to predict what she will do, as she has not been public with her decisions.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When you build a program on prepubescent girls and their anatomic quirks, you are at the mercy of anatomy. And anatomy is at the mercy of time. So relentless turnover is inevitable.

and on top of that, with the lack of training and competing right now, the young teenagers will grow faster as it is proven that heavy training slows down puberty and growth in young girls...

it will be interesting to see where everyone is after the break.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
When you build a program on prepubescent girls and their anatomic quirks, you are at the mercy of anatomy. And anatomy is at the mercy of time. So relentless turnover is inevitable.

I wish there wasn't so much fear over girls going through puberty. It is a natural thing and becoming a woman shouldn't been seen as the end of your career.

Finley

Record Breaker
I wish there wasn't so much fear over girls going through puberty. It is a natural thing and becoming a woman shouldn't been seen as the end of your career.

I'm just following you around agreeing with your posts today.

This! Growing = being alive. I wish there was more 'normalization' of this in ladies FS. Sometimes it can come across as if their bodies need to be frozen in time. With no regard for future consequences. :(

Maybe what I am trying to say is that I wish there was more support and enthusiasm for skaters developing normally. Instead of 'Well here are. It was unavoidable. Now you will have to work twice as hard to do what you used to do.' I know this is a reality, but maybe lean into the silver lining a little more? Find the positive?

macy

Record Breaker
with Sasha's departure from Eteri, i wouldn't doubt shes at least considering it and giving it some good thought (if she hasn't made a decision already)

Amei

Record Breaker
Depends what you mean by 'return' - is she going to come back like she did last season where she was content to just go out and skate and let the chips fall where they may, or is she going to return and fight to be competitive and a contender for being National champion and European/World team caliber?

Her interview where she said she was just talking about taking a break for the rest of the season sounded a lot like retirement - I don't remember a previous instance of a figure skater or any athlete doing a TV interview to announce they were taking a break for the rest of the season unless it was for some serious reason beyond being 'tired'. BUT at the same side she said it was just a break, so until we get to the point where there are multiple breaks from competition/injuries, I'm taking her at her word that she is going to come back to competition skating.

The problem I can see for her as well as for Medvedeva (Zagitova was likely several weeks longer) is that the COVID-19 situation that's taking everyone off the ice and out of serious training is likely going to be harder to come back from since just based on the bit of details we do know since they were both in shows for the first few months of the year it seems unlikely that they were doing hardcore competition training before the rinks got shutdown. It will likely make it harder to gain a quad and/or a triple axel, which is what is going to be needed to beat Shcherbakova/Kostornaia/Trusova.

Finley

Record Breaker
Depends what you mean by 'return' - is she going to come back like she did last season where she was content to just go out and skate and let the chips fall where they may, or is she going to return and fight to be competitive and a contender for being National champion and European/World team caliber?

Her interview where she said she was just talking about taking a break for the rest of the season sounded a lot like retirement - I don't remember a previous instance of a figure skater or any athlete doing a TV interview to announce they were taking a break for the rest of the season unless it was for some serious reason beyond being 'tired'. BUT at the same side she said it was just a break, so until we get to the point where there are multiple breaks from competition/injuries, I'm taking her at her word that she is going to come back to competition skating.

The problem I can see for her as well as for Medvedeva (Zagitova was likely several weeks longer) is that the COVID-19 situation that's taking everyone off the ice and out of serious training is likely going to be harder to come back from since just based on the bit of details we do know since they were both in shows for the first few months of the year it seems unlikely that they were doing hardcore competition training before the rinks got shutdown. It will likely make it harder to gain a quad and/or a triple axel, which is what is going to be needed to beat Shcherbakova/Kostornaia/Trusova.

I think it is an uphill battle for everyone at this point. But if some skaters have hills to climb other skaters have mountains. It is what it is and they all have to overcome whatever obstacles are put in front of them.

macy

Record Breaker
i think Alina's chances of being "competitive" are much higher than they would have been because of quarantine and also Sasha leaving. everyone is going to have a lot of catch up to do when training resumes, and Alina can be right there with them.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

No, it shouldn't but single's skating is all about the jumps now. And anatomy has a definite bearing on an individual's ability and timing with those jumps. Unless skating reorganizes its priorities in terms of scoring, I don't see this as anything but The New Normal.

Gabby30

On the Ice
For all the people who like to predict (esp. Alina's fate), this is the result of the local predictions of the winner of the last year's worlds:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=605&d=1553043772&thumb=1

Let's be more careful in our predictions :biggrin:

When people were claiming that Zagitova is going to win automatically just by showing up ( worlds 2018) or that Trusova is unbeatable and is going to win everything, nobody was saying that we should be "more careful in our predictions"... It only happens when there is ( justified) doubt about certain skaters. Interesting....

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I think she'll be coming back. I should make a fun bet with someone.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
When people were claiming that Zagitova is going to win automatically just by showing up ( worlds 2018) or that Trusova is unbeatable and is going to win everything, nobody was saying that we should be "more careful in our predictions"... It only happens when there is ( justified) doubt about certain skaters. Interesting....

Who are these "people" you claim said that? And how do you know that no one said "we should be more careful in our predictions" in those cases?
I am always suspicious of unnamed "people" and such. At least the post you referenced showed an actual thread about predictions for 2019 Worlds.

Where are the posts that said "Zagitova is going to win automatcially" in 2018. Sure, she was the favorite, but automatic - I think not.
Also Sasha Trusova's teammates had beaten her in Juniors, so why would Seniors be any different?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Nobody said that, it's simple. This is just useless confrontation.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
There are few things to consider:

- Alina claimed last season she will compete for fun. But will she ever become that type that can compete for fun and she "geee, I fell on a jump and popped another... but by spins were on the point and I had fun, screw the scores, I have the medals already". She was not that the person last year, even after "proving herself" by winning worlds. Perfectionism is something that eats up a person whole life in many cases.

- But I think the lockdown sorta equalized everybody. Yeah, maybe some girls are jumping quads in their backyards in tennis shoes. But nobody is on ice. Maybe some went through puberty. Maybe we will see lower TES overall next year and Alina did develop her artistry and feel for the music. Of course it all depends on type of programs she gets and what state of mind is she in. Olympics is too far away... would her OGM champion PCS still be with her?

- Does she even want to compete, starve herself for elusive quad or will she say "eh, I get cosmetic contracts and movie roles even if I eat..." and just do shows and occasional gigs?

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
There are few things to consider:

- Alina claimed last season she will compete for fun. But will she ever become that type that can compete for fun and she "geee, I fell on a jump and popped another... but by spins were on the point and I had fun, screw the scores, I have the medals already". She was not that the person last year, even after "proving herself" by winning worlds. Perfectionism is something that eats up a person whole life in many cases.

- But I think the lockdown sorta equalized everybody. Yeah, maybe some girls are jumping quads in their backyards in tennis shoes. But nobody is on ice. Maybe some went through puberty. Maybe we will see lower TES overall next year and Alina did develop her artistry and feel for the music. Of course it all depends on type of programs she gets and what state of mind is she in. Olympics is too far away... would her OGM champion PCS still be with her?

- Does she even want to compete, starve herself for elusive quad or will she say "eh, I get cosmetic contracts and movie roles even if I eat..." and just do shows and occasional gigs?

I don't always agree with you. But first 2 points are spot on.
If Alina learned something about herself past season, is that she wants to compete and win, she needs that competitive drive. Another thing she learned is that podiums even on big competitions are possible without ultra-C jumps.
How every athlete comes out of this lockdown is a big mystery. Bodies will change, muscle memory will be lost - these two combined are very unpredictable on all athletes out there.

I disagree about the third point. If she said she thinks about losing weight, well
a) don't take every word of teenager's mouth to heart (although Alina in generally responsible and careful about what she says, she too is a young girl).
b) what she feels is needed is up to her, and it doesn't mean that she planned starving herself at any point. All athletes maintain strict diets, maintain their weights, fat/muscle ratios - it's part of every athlete's life.
c) in an interview to Cosmopolitan she talked about her landing quads, so anything's possible. Fingers crossed.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Honestly I have no idea. I hope she does what is best for her and is happy with the outcome.