Will Zagitova return? | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Will Zagitova return?

The book mean girls is based on is actually called “queen bees and wannabees.” Def a generational thing but queen bee is often associated with mean girls who bully others.

That is exactly why the context is everyhing. It is ludicrous to say that Anna Shcherbakova is a bully (or Alina Zagitova).

Pointing that "star system" is not how TT works, therefore ...

I agree that this is how the phrase should be interpreted. Anna is not a bully or a mean girl. But she is seen now as the the star attraction of her training group. Possibly this characterization is inappropriate (Eteri gives equal attention to all her skaters), but it is not an insult to Anna to speculate that she is the headliner of the program now, Trusova and Kostornaia having departed. (Unless Zagitova still is. Or unless oit is Valieva. :) )

VenusHalley

Final Flight
This was my thought when entering this thread, too. Thank goodness for Russian test skates. It still give posters on this forum something else to argue about.

My two cents about the great expression connotation war of August 2020, Queen Bee can be either positive or negative (as is the case with many words) depending on the tone and context. It can be used in the "Mean Girls" context, but has also been reclaimed by women to refer to someone who others look up to. I don't think the original poster meant it as a pejorative.

Isn't Beyonce called Queen Bee? And I never thought it was meant as insult.

Some people seem to look hard for things to be offended about (while ignore the truly offensive stuff at the same time)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Some people seem to look hard for things to be offended about (while ignore the truly offensive stuff at the same time)

The amount of fuss and botheration and yes, I will say it, pettifogging nitpickery over two words has been... interesting, while the nitpickers completely miss or determinedly ignore the gist of the post. How not surprising.

I stand by said gist (which was a reply to another) by the way, and I hope Shcherbakova does well because if - if - any of the three of them even falter now, it's clearly going to get more ugly. I've wasn't around for the 2014 ugliness, but I've seen feral fannishness elsewhere, and I don't ever wanna see it like that again.

Scott512

Record Breaker
For explanation, the perspective itself of having a "dominant or favored position in the team" is wrong form the start, it never worked there this way even when other skater was in the position of the biggest potential scorer. There were Yulia, Zhenya or Alina in the position of the main medal contender, but never treated like "Eteri's little queen bee" (sounds really awfull :disagree:).

Eteri does not want to have a queen bee even with the phenomenal run she's had the last 8 years of all these fantastic lady skaters. The strength of the coach is that she treats everybody the same. But that also may be an issue and why the two great skaters left recently. Some semis they want more individual attention. I can only wish them well good health and much success.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Yes it's an insult it's a slight at a girl calling her a diva whatever. I doubt Tally really meant anything negative towards Anna. I'm sure Beyonce loves the term queen bee but she's an egomaniac. Anna is not.

And again the coaches sambo-70 does not allow the queen bee type of behavior everyone gets treated the same which is why she rode her two time World Champion hard. Zhenya was the ultimate example how everybody gets treated the same.

I think Beyonce is Queen Bey. ;)

A Queen B. is a feminist ball-breaker who was appointed Vice President of a big company because of affirmative action and who then uses her power both to humiliate men and also to prevent other women from getting the promotions that they deserve. :yes:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Wow this thread has really morphed something completely different. Kind of like the "telephone game".

Just to pull it further into the abyss
When I googled "Queen B", I saw this headline from June 25th....
"Beyoncé fans slam Britney Spears for calling herself ‘Queen B’: ‘You could never!’"

So I guess in some fandoms, being a "Queen B" is a good thing.
Meanwhile - I didn't even know that Britney Spears was still relevant.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think she will come back instead with quite determination.

But I wouldn't blame her if she decides that she has had enough and strikes out in a new life direction.

What direction at 18? College? Shows? Thankfully Alinas troublesome left knee is holding up just fine apparently that will enable her to continue her competitive career.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Wow this thread has really morphed something completely different. Kind of like the "telephone game".

"Beyoncé fans slam Britney Spears for calling herself ‘Queen B’: ‘You could never!’"

I guess to Beyonce fans queen b mean something.lol. to be sure Britney Spears was Queen B before Beyonce was. ;)

Fortunately these ladies skaters we follow are not very much like queen bees and they are Workaholics and true Warriors. I think everyone here respects all the skaters but we've probably all don't respect all the singers out there.

What direction at 18? College? Shows?
At 18 her life is just beginning. There are a thousand directions that her future might take.

Thankfully Alina's troublesome left knee is holding up just fine apparently that will enable her to continue her competitive career.

Still, I repeat -- I wouldn't blame her if she is ready to move on. I also wouldn't blame her if she continues in competition for the next ten years. The world is her oyster.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
At 18 her life is just beginning. There are a thousand directions that her future might take.

Given her level of fame and appeal (and the fact that the camera does love her) I can quite easily see a career in media opening up, now or later, depending on her choices.

Amei

Record Breaker

Well this is a byproduct of being an international forum, there are a lot of terms/gestures that in some cultures/countries it's perfectly acceptable and in another culture/country is completely offensive

Amei

Record Breaker
I hope we see film footage of Alina skating her new programs soon.

Well we are a month from test skates so we'll get them then, unless she gets sick or decides to skip this season. I wonder if Rozanov was the driving force on them being active on social media with posting videos of programs and jumps because they have been super quiet the whole offseason with posting on ice events (off the ice drama they are still active).

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
I wonder if Rozanov was the driving force on them being active on social media with posting videos of programs and jumps because they have been super quiet the whole offseason with posting on ice events (off the ice drama they are still active).

People need to stop trying to credit Rozanov for absolutely everything that happened at Khrustalny while he was there :gaah:

sparklestan

On the Ice
Well we are a month from test skates so we'll get them then, unless she gets sick or decides to skip this season. I wonder if Rozanov was the driving force on them being active on social media with posting videos of programs and jumps because they have been super quiet the whole offseason with posting on ice events (off the ice drama they are still active).
He might have been, at least in the beginning of the Team Tut acc. But Eteri and co weren’t shy about posting Kamila’s 4T+3T so surely they are able to post if they wish. My best guess is Eteri would prefer to keep their progress a secret then have the girls show up to test skates (or their first competition) with 3A and quads.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

People need to stop trying to credit Rozanov for absolutely everything that happened at Khrustalny while he was there :gaah:

The number of the videos and other materials from trainings at Khrustalnyi was significantly reduced last autumn, a long time before Rozanov left.

Amei

Record Breaker

Where was I trying to credit him for everything that happened at Sambo - I've noticed a decrease in the videos that get circulated this year so I said perhaps he was the 1 behind that. posting videos on social media is not some huge accomplishment to have to your name.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Where was I trying to credit him for everything that happened at Sambo - I've noticed a decrease in the videos that get circulated this year so I said perhaps he was the 1 behind that. posting videos on social media is not some huge accomplishment to have to your name.

I didn't mean to say that you specifically were crediting him for everything.
I just quoted you because of how lately everyone seems to be giving him all the credit for all kinds of things and it just doesn't make sense to me.

Scott512

Record Breaker

He arrived after TT was already a monster. But it's also possible young Sergey deserves more credit than we gave him for since a lot of TT kids think so much of him and have left TT to go to the academy where he now is working.