Will Zagitova return? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Will Zagitova return?

SkateSkates

Medalist
All of this depends on how much of a season there is next year...

Before the crisis, I assumed she would come back for Test Skates, Japan Open and Rostelecom, but not sure beyond that. Now it’s hard to say with everything up in the air. If competitions will be held without spectators and there won’t be any shows then maybe this is more incentive for her to come back? But who knows.

Amei

Record Breaker
I don't always agree with you. But first 2 points are spot on.
If Alina learned something about herself past season, is that she wants to compete and win, she needs that competitive drive. Another thing she learned is that podiums even on big competitions are possible without ultra-C jumps.

What competition(s) are you speaking of? And of those competition(s) how many skaters were there competing the 'ultra-C jumps'? Fact is last year every gold medal at the top international level of the sport was won by a skater with an Ultra-C element, 4 out of the 6 grand prix events had 2 of the 3 podium spots won by skaters with an ultra-C element; GPF, European championships and Russian Nationals podiums (that she has to place very well at and likely podium to get to Europeans or Worlds) were swept by skaters with multiple ultra-C elements.

in an interview to Cosmopolitan she talked about her landing quads, so anything's possible. Fingers crossed.

The quad that's been mentioned by her in interviews is a bit strange, I'd be curious to know timing/condition of what quad she's talking about. We've seen clips from 2 seasons ago of her attempting quads on the fishing pole, that were under-rotated but technically she didn't end up laying on the ice so that could say it was a 'landed quad'. Because during the GP season there was an interview with her where she said she wasn't training the quad because she need to lose weight to do it safely; given that she spent December of last year and the first few months of this year traveling around doing show skating, I find it would be really odd if she was training a quad then, not only because she was traveling for shows but would she have risked injury taking her out of those shows.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
What competition(s) are you speaking of? And of those competition(s) how many skaters were there competing the 'ultra-C jumps'? Fact is last year every gold medal at the top international level of the sport was won by a skater with an Ultra-C element, 4 out of the 6 grand prix events had 2 of the 3 podium spots won by skaters with an ultra-C element; GPF, European championships and Russian Nationals podiums (that she has to place very well at and likely podium to get to Europeans or Worlds) were swept by skaters with multiple ultra-C elements.

The quad that's been mentioned by her in interviews is a bit strange, I'd be curious to know timing/condition of what quad she's talking about. We've seen clips from 2 seasons ago of her attempting quads on the fishing pole, that were under-rotated but technically she didn't end up laying on the ice so that could say it was a 'landed quad'. Because during the GP season there was an interview with her where she said she wasn't training the quad because she need to lose weight to do it safely; given that she spent December of last year and the first few months of this year traveling around doing show skating, I find it would be really odd if she was training a quad then, not only because she was traveling for shows but would she have risked injury taking her out of those shows.

What I mean is at GPF Sasha and Rika did not have Perfect skates, which, if clean, Alina could’ve beaten. Same happened at Rus Nationals and Europeans/4CC.
My point is, with those jumps it’s always a big gamble, since being consistent is very hard with quads and 3A, and there’s always a chance of making a podium without those jumps :)
I think she won’t speak about a quad until she consistently lands one. Her jumps also became bigger after the summer, which to me looks like they’ve trained one.

Fried

Final Flight
- Does she even want to compete, starve herself for elusive quad or will she say "eh, I get cosmetic contracts and movie roles even if I eat..." and just do shows and occasional gigs?

I have to itch my ear. Is there someone whispering to Plushenko?
😄😄😄

Finley

Record Breaker
Honestly I have no idea. I hope she does what is best for her and is happy with the outcome.

This. More than anything. It's her journey. Her one and only life. Even if she makes a 'mistake' (in some peoples' eyes) it's hers to make, and it's also part of her journey.

Maybe she wants to spend next season perfecting her needle-point. Or reading more biology books. Or just watching TV. Would that make me happy as a skating fan? No not really. But as an Alina fan I accept the fact that her life choices are not made for the sake of pleasing me. She is more than a skater, she is a human being.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Glad she and the other Khrustalniy skaters stay silent over Trusova's departure.

Best say nothing until the officials have spoken first.

No doubt, they all know more than each and everyone of us or the people interviewed by the press.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Sasha leaving will have nothing to do with whether Alina comes back. She may choose to on her own, or she may have some obligations to her sponsors to participate in some of the season. But when the season is so up in the air as it is, it doesn't even seem worth speculating at this stage.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I still think she will come back but I don't even know if we're going to have a season. Navka has coronavirus now so Alina should be checked because she was with her for so long.

Amei

Record Breaker
What I mean is at GPF Sasha and Rika did not have Perfect skates, which, if clean, Alina could’ve beaten. Same happened at Rus Nationals and Europeans/4CC.
My point is, with those jumps it’s always a big gamble, since being consistent is very hard with quads and 3A, and there’s always a chance of making a podium without those jumps :)
I think she won’t speak about a quad until she consistently lands one. Her jumps also became bigger after the summer, which to me looks like they’ve trained one.

Alina's highest FS score of the season was at GP France, she scored 151.14, she would have been off the podium in 4th place with that score and her SP score, even with Trusova's bad skate.

Difference of opinions, but I don't find it to be competitive to have to bank on not only skating flawlessly yourself but also have multiple skaters with ultra-C elements to mess up to get on the podium. Especially when 2 of them were very consistent with their ultra-C elements and another skater that while has some inconsistencies also has the tech content to absorb some mistakes.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It would be nice to have her in the mix, but I doubt she will be back. She's already won everything. Why would she put herself at risk for serious injuries or training another year with only a small chance of advancing to Euros/Worlds? In the 6.0 era I think it would have been easier because the programs and technical content weren't as taxing on the body, but now these athletes have to push themselves beyond their limits to keep up.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Alina's highest FS score of the season was at GP France, she scored 151.14, she would have been off the podium in 4th place with that score and her SP score, even with Trusova's bad skate.

Difference of opinions, but I don't find it to be competitive to have to bank on not only skating flawlessly yourself but also have multiple skaters with ultra-C elements to mess up to get on the podium. Especially when 2 of them were very consistent with their ultra-C elements and another skater that while has some inconsistencies also has the tech content to absorb some mistakes.

Yes, and there is no chance to beat own season's best, right? :biggrin:

Alina needed 153+ points to be on the 3rd place (while at JO she received 154+, not to mention her top scores), which she did many times. That's not about "difference of opinions".

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
It would be nice to have her in the mix, but I doubt she will be back. She's already won everything. Why would she put herself at risk for serious injuries or training another year with only a small chance of advancing to Euros/Worlds? In the 6.0 era I think it would have been easier because the programs and technical content weren't as taxing on the body, but now these athletes have to push themselves beyond their limits to keep up.

"Yes, you've won everything already, so thank you and do not hinder anymore." And then people come and complain there are no skaters with a long career. Or that Alina is "one-hit wonder".

How about winning something twice, why that couldn't be a motivation for Alina if that was a motivation for many other athletes before.

zounger

Medalist
I disagree about the third point. If she said she thinks about losing weight, well
a) don't take every word of teenager's mouth to heart (although Alina in generally responsible and careful about what she says, she too is a young girl).
b) what she feels is needed is up to her, and it doesn't mean that she planned starving herself at any point. All athletes maintain strict diets, maintain their weights, fat/muscle ratios - it's part of every athlete's life.
c) in an interview to Cosmopolitan she talked about her landing quads, so anything's possible. Fingers crossed.

VenusHalley has a history on comments what Alina eats, something like an obsession. But deep inside I think she is a big fan, more than some people here pretend to be.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I still think she will come back but I don't even know if we're going to have a season. Navka has coronavirus now so Alina should be checked because she was with her for so long.

Then it would have been the longest incubation period in the world, Sleeping Beauty's last performance was like 4 months ago.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
OK mrs Tarasova, we knew you just don't like Alina before...

https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1085487449.html

It's something like the alleged "go have kids", apart from that this is not the line invented by TSL, those are the real words.

Let me make some comparison.

Liza training quad: The reaction is like "that's so great adult lady is learning quads, that will keep her in the bussiness."

Alina learning quad: Just ignore that and send her making ads and shows.

There are many other ladies skaters who do not have 3A/quad, but Tatiana doesn't send them to retire.

But let's take int positively. This is exactly what can motivate Alina to turn into an Arnold mode: "I'll be back." She was always the best when people doubted her.

icetug

Medalist
"Yes, you've won everything already, so thank you and do not hinder anymore." And then people come and complain there are no skaters with a long career. Or that Alina is "one-hit wonder".

HOw about winning something twice, why that couldn't be a motivation for Alina if that was a motivation for many other athletes before.

Agree. Really wish her another OGM. I'm sure she can fight for it.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Of course she won't return. There's no way she can reclaim her past glory, nor should she have to run her body into the ground just for substandard results.

I just hope she finds a more productive way to lead her life than Oksana Baiul.

macy

Record Breaker
OK mrs Tarasova, we knew you just don't like Alina before...

https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1085487449.html

It's something like the alleged "go have kids", apart from that this is not the line invented by TSL, those are the real words.

Let me make some comparison.

Liza training quad: The reaction is like "that's so great adult lady is learning quads, that will keep her in the bussiness."

Alina learning quad: Just ignore that and send her making ads and shows.

There are many other ladies skaters who do not have 3A/quad, but Tatiana doesn't send them to retire.

But let's take int positively. This is exactly what can motivate Alina to turn into an Arnold mode: "I'll be back." She was always the best when people doubted her.

even with her previous technical arsenal of everything except for a quad or triple axel (which was still probably the most difficult of any senior lady without a quad or 3A), there is still a chance she can sneak in for medals and make teams. we saw how inconsistent quads were for ladies this season, and we have no idea if they will even keep them as they grow.

Alina knows who and what is coming down the line and she's a smart girl. i think she knows she can't have the level of success of a guaranteed podium finish every time like before, but she can still be in the mix just like Evgenia. if she thinks competing can still bring her happiness no matter the results, then there's no reason she shouldn't continue.

Scott512

Record Breaker

How about winning something twice, why that couldn't be a motivation for Alina if that was a motivation for many other athletes before.

Alina should come back for Grand Prix events a couple Challengers and if she makes the European or world team that's great if not that's okay. Like you pointed out if she goes away they'll say her coach cannot coach women and mature skaters. That is one reason why I want Alina to stick around a couple more years. She does not have to do quads and triple axles to be competitive with these skaters. If Alina is on she scores huge. And if history repeats itself when skaters leave Eteri their scores drop a lot and if that happens to Sasha there will be an opening for Alina and if there are injuries among the top girls in Russia which is possible there will be even more openings for Alina.

Do people want Liza to go away or Zhenya to go away? No let them skate and enjoy their careers and the same should be given to Alina who is about five years younger than Liza and about two and a half years younger than Evgenia. Besides Alina has major sponsors who pay her major money and if she wants that to continue she needs to continue being competitive in figure skating will keep her getting paid.

Again I think the reigning and defending Olympic and World Champion comes back next season if there is a next season and skates in a challenger or 2 and a couple Grand Prix events with a good chance to make the Grand Prix final. If she doesn't make the European or World team that okay. She doesn't necessarily have to be the best in the world anymore but I'm sure she has the eye of the tigress back and still wants to be relevant on the competition level.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Of course she won't return. There's no way she can reclaim her past glory, nor should she have to run her body into the ground just for substandard results.

I just hope she finds a more productive way to lead her life than Oksana Baiul.

There's a non-sequiter if I ever saw one.
Why the heck did you even put that 2nd line in there?

I "think" I know the clever insult you are trying for, but I'm not quite sure.
Besides, AFAIK, Oksana Baiul is doing just fine.
She had a small period of her life that spun out of control.

Good grief.