Are all 8 foot rockers created equal? | Golden Skate

Are all 8 foot rockers created equal?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I have Ultima Mark IV blades, since I returned to skating a year ago. (I haven't been on the ice in three months though). I didn't realize at the time I chose between them and the Mirages that the Mark IV sizes are in thirds of an inch instead of quarters, so they are actually ever so slightly too long for my boots (9 2/3 when I should have 9 1/2).

I've also had on going alignment issues due to my pronation, and have not been able to satisfactorily have them moved to where I want. (Mostly by the tech, last time I loosened the heel screws myself but didn't remove them to see how much I could move them). I can't move them any more without drilling new holes.

My idea now is to have the tech plug the holes and start over with different blades - MK Galaxy, which are in quarter inches. The screw pattern on the plates also should match the pattern on MK Pros, which would be the next blade up, to get someday.

But MK Pros are 7 foot rockers, and MK Galaxy is an 8 foot, and I'd prefer to stay with an 8 foot rocker for now. One of the things people say about entry level Ultima blades is how flat the profile is. Do you think that's just a function of the 8 foot rocker, or do you think the MK Galaxy profile might have better spin rocker despite also being 8 feet? I'm not really asking people to guess so much as asking for experience on different rocker profiles with the same main rocker size.

Bonus question: Anyone have experience plugging holes on a Jackson boot with a fusion (not leather) sole? I'm wondering if that will be problematic.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I have Ultima Mark IV blades, since I returned to skating a year ago. (I haven't been on the ice in three months though). I didn't realize at the time I chose between them and the Mirages that the Mark IV sizes are in thirds of an inch instead of quarters, so they are actually ever so slightly too long for my boots (9 2/3 when I should have 9 1/2).

I've also had on going alignment issues due to my pronation, and have not been able to satisfactorily have them moved to where I want. (Mostly by the tech, last time I loosened the heel screws myself but didn't remove them to see how much I could move them). I can't move them any more without drilling new holes.

My idea now is to have the tech plug the holes and start over with different blades - MK Galaxy, which are in quarter inches. The screw pattern on the plates also should match the pattern on MK Pros, which would be the next blade up, to get someday.

But MK Pros are 7 foot rockers, and MK Galaxy is an 8 foot, and I'd prefer to stay with an 8 foot rocker for now. One of the things people say about entry level Ultima blades is how flat the profile is. Do you think that's just a function of the 8 foot rocker, or do you think the MK Galaxy profile might have better spin rocker despite also being 8 feet? I'm not really asking people to guess so much as asking for experience on different rocker profiles with the same main rocker size.

Bonus question: Anyone have experience plugging holes on a Jackson boot with a fusion (not leather) sole? I'm wondering if that will be problematic.

Ultima blades are just flatter in the rocker territory (profile): That is just how they are. It has nothing to do with 8ft or 7ft rocker. I skate on 8ft rockers in my JW P99s and the rocker is NOT flat at all, a little less than the Gold Seal but definitely not flat like an ultima. Same with MK blades, even though 7ft rocker...the Gold Star and Phantoms (the latter being a previous blade of mine), are not flat rockers.

Also, please leave it to the pros to drill and move your blades.

My biggest question for you is has the tech gone to the ice and watched you skate on them to make a proper assessment to how the blade needs to be moved?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Ultima blades are just flatter in the rocker territory (profile): That is just how they are. It has nothing to do with 8ft or 7ft rocker. I skate on 8ft rockers in my JW P99s and the rocker is NOT flat at all, a little less than the Gold Seal but definitely not flat like an ultima. Same with MK blades, even though 7ft rocker...the Gold Star and Phantoms (the latter being a previous blade of mine), are not flat rockers.

Also, please leave it to the pros to drill and move your blades.

My biggest question for you is has the tech gone to the ice and watched you skate on them to make a proper assessment to how the blade needs to be moved?

Of course I would have my tech deal with my blades. I don't have the equipment to make measurements or drill holes.

No, unfortunately my tech's shop is not attached to a rink. When he does visit the rinks to do mass sharpenings, he doesn't do any on ice adjustments. I did make a video to show him very early on when I had a private lesson, but after that it was just discussion. He could clearly see in the shop, when I first got the skates, that I have pronation. His solution was to move the front of the blades to the inside, but the heels were actually just outside of the 'seam' that runs down the back of the heel (it's a fusion sole, I know leather heels don't have this seam), and they were all kinds of wrong. He moved the fronts to the center, what I really need is the heels to be centered or just inside. I've had several visits to him, and sometimes he likes to argue a bit (like about how I shouldn't have a 1/2" ROH). But I know how they feel, and I'm the one that has to skate on them.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm not really asking people to guess so much as asking for experience on different rocker profiles with the same main rocker size.
Blades with nominally the same main rocker radius can have different spin rocker profiles and heel lifts. Paramount has some informative videos: https://www.paramountskates.com/videos. [Caveat: Paramount essentially says there's no substantive difference between a 7' and an 8' radius main rocker. I don't agree with that. I've skated on both; and I did notice a difference.]

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Blades with nominally the same main rocker radius can have different spin rocker profiles and heel lifts. Paramount has some informative videos: https://www.paramountskates.com/videos. [Caveat: Paramount essentially says there's no substantive difference between a 7' and an 8' radius main rocker. I don't agree with that. I've skated on both; and I did notice a difference.]

That's good news. The MK Galaxy certainly looks more curved than the Mark IV does in pictures.

Anyone have experience getting holes plugged on fusion/non-leather soles?

annetter

Rinkside
I am interested in information about the MK Galaxy spin rocker (profile) - as I am considering acquiring it - I have got the impression that the spin rocker further to the back of Coronation Ace (relative to MK Professional) might be suitable for me due to my foot shape.

nomi darling

On the Ice
That's good news. The MK Galaxy certainly looks more curved than the Mark IV does in pictures.

Anyone have experience getting holes plugged on fusion/non-leather soles?
Hi there! I know this is a late reply so it's likely irrelevant by now, but I plugged my Fusion sole holes. As noted above, it's not necessarily recommended, but I am happy to relate my experience. I used lengths of leather shoelace to fill them, cutting some pieces at an angle to shim them so that they filled the hole completely. I fixed them into the holes with epoxy of some sort - perhaps E6000? Can't recall, but seems about right. Trimmed the ends with an Xacto knife to level them with the sole. Covered the sole with Sno Seal once the adhesive was fully cured.

My fitter later prodded them while installing my new blades and expressed his surprise that someone as ignorant as myself had managed to do a decent job. Note, I did this as a complete n00b, plunging ahead with the unearned confidence that only viewing a YouTube tutorial is capable of instilling.

Whether I averted disaster by chance, I'll never know, but I CAN assure you that getting out of those Mark IV blades (I actually had Mark II blades on my first kit) is going to change your life (or at least your skating) for the better in uncountable ways. Best of luck!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The main difference I notice is that 7' main rockers make the blade rip soooo loudly. My coach told me to make sure I don't rip my edges during the first half of the program because my music was calm and quiet and it's almost impossible now that I switched to a 7' (which has been my experience with all 7' rockers).

nomi darling

On the Ice
The main difference I notice is that 7' main rockers make the blade rip soooo loudly. My coach told me to make sure I don't rip my edges during the first half of the program because my music was calm and quiet and it's almost impossible now that I switched to a 7' (which has been my experience with all 7' rockers).
Ah, but what a delightful sound it is! :love2: