Japan's success reason? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Japan's success reason?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I'd be interested to see a study about our response in the context of the plague's beginning overlapping with the end of the worst fire season in history, and how that affected our response. Was it easier because Australians were naturally more alert, anxiousness heightened after a summer of disaster? Or was it harder because Australians were so tired and heartbroken? Was it easier because many Australians had already bought masks to protect from the smoke? Or was it harder because the mask supply chain was messed up because of the smoke? Were we saved by the tourism drop because of the bushfires? Or is it simply that we are an island and you can't get in if we close the borders (as long as any idiots don't let cruise ships dock)?

I'm surprised more folks aren't interested in us, given that, as far as I know, we are the only country to have come into this directly on the back of a major, national natural disaster. Two, actually, if you also count February's flooding as a natural disaster, which it was.

I would hope and imagine that since we havent had anything this big for awhile, there will be many books/ TV speicals/in depth articles written about many different countries and their response, or lack of response, to the pandemic and prepping for the next one. My biggest fear is that the research will not be done or refused to be printed as it is so politically charged, at least in my country, when in reality, there is pleanty of blame here to go around with all politicians of the last 17 years. It is high time that the American people take responsiblility for their own preparedness and make sure their elected officials at the county, State and Federal level have their feet held to the fire till they get off their bottoms and create and carry out plans for the future like Korea did. This is NOT the last pandemic the world will ever see, and WWI was NOT the war to end all wars.

ParadiceSport

Rinkside
Japanese people are using mask long before Covid-19. Also They have in general social distance. They don't shake hands or hug that much. Respect and discipline.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
The Country with the Best Covid-19 Response? Mongolia.

If you compared numbers of Japan within G7 nations, it looks success story.
But if you saw within Asia (excluding West Asia) and Oceania it just something like 'passing mark'.

Original poster is a person from Sri Lanka.
He or She is very harsh on Western Nations about COVID-19 responses.

well you have to take into consideration the population density of Mongolia though (and the test run)

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
well you have to take into consideration the population density of Mongolia though (and the test run)

Original article mentioned about it.
Density
It’s true that Mongolia is the least densely populated nation on Earth. As a nation, they’re pretty socially distant by default. However, their capital Ulaanbaatar has an urban population of 1.5 million people. That’s quite enough for COVID-19 to snack on.

In fact, Ulaanbaatar (307 people per km²) has a similar density to Bergamo, Italy (400 per)— the epicenter of the outbreak in Italy; one of the worst-hit places in the world. Low density didn’t save Bergamo. On its own, it won’t save anybody.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Original article mentioned about it.

again i don't know how it works in Mongolia (i remember a user from there, maybe he/she can enlighten us), but even if Ulaanbatar has the same density as Bergamo, there are other factors in place, like te population mobility, and you have to take into consideration how close to each other are towns in italy. how far is the closest city to Ulaanbaator?

Interesting. Montana and Mongolia are both doing very well.

the sicret is in the Mon- :biggrin:

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Jason Kottke who introduce Indi Samarajiva's original article conclude it
Mongolia listened to the experts, acted quickly, and kept their people safe.
and followed as
Much of the rest of the world, especially the western world — the so-called first-world countries — failed to act quickly enough and hundreds of thousands of people have needlessly died and countless others have been left with chronic health issues, grief, and economic chaos.

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Why we do not pay attention on Slovakia (5.14 death / 1 million population)
instead of Germany (105.34) or Sweden (463.22) in Europe ?

It is even better than Japan (7.27) and they are part of Schengen Area where "officially abolished all passport and all other types of border control at their mutual borders".
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Apparently they can't explain clean reasons about themselves like Japan.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/05/06/slovakia-coronavirus-pandemic-public-trust-media/

Last edited:

denise3lz

On the Ice
Country
Japan
The WHO Saved Us This Pandemic (said by Indi Samarajiva)
https://medium.com/@indica/the-who-saved-us-this-pandemic-f628257ee56b
"Dumb, rich countries are blaming the messenger. Most of the world did fine"

The WHO helped save our asses this pandemic. By us, I mean people like me. People in Sri Lanka, Asia, in Africa, in the Caribbean, the COVID underdogs, the nations that somehow defended ourselves while the west was drinking bleach and blaming China. You know, most of the world.
Most of the places that depended heavily on the WHO did well. The places that ignored or fought the WHO are doing terrible (UK, Europe; US, Brazil). How can you say that the WHO failed? Y’all failed yourselves. Don’t shoot the messenger.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
and with "the places" he means "the place", as far as i know in Europe nobody doubted WHO, we certainly underestimated the desease at the beginning this much is true, but nobody here blamed China (well yet, let's wait for elections) or the WHO itself and nobody suggested to drink disinfctant, the other side of the Atlantic is another pair of shoes.:biggrin: