Over booting | Golden Skate

Over booting

FigureSkater2625

Rinkside
Country
United-States
What exactly does it mean to over boot? I have a general understanding of it that you might not weigh enough or your skill level is not high enough to qualify for that particular stiffness rating but what exactly does over booting do to your feet and/or legs? Does it make it impossible to bend, stroke properly, cause an excess of foot issues and pains? And how would this compare to under booting?

Sent from my iPhone using Golden Skate

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
What exactly does it mean to over boot? I have a general understanding of it that you might not weigh enough or your skill level is not high enough to qualify for that particular stiffness rating but what exactly does over booting do to your feet and/or legs? Does it make it impossible to bend, stroke properly, cause an excess of foot issues and pains? And how would this compare to under booting?

Sent from my iPhone using Golden Skate

A boot that is too strong for your skill level and weight. It can cause a plethora of problems including long term injury.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
^What Ic3Rabbit said.

Conversely, if you underboot, to put it bluntly, have fun on your broken ankle.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Depending on how overbooted, you might not even be able to bend your knees at all.

Underbooting can be deceptively problem-free. I was heinously underbooted for years with no idea. It messed up my ankles, fortunately in a way that was fixable.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I agree with everything said here. That's why it's so important to get skates from a reputable skate tech- that person will know what models in different brands are good for certain skill levels, ect.

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
Agreed. Getting the help of someone who knows what they're talking about can help you immensely picking the right boot and avoiding under/overbooting. Thanks to the magnificient advice from people like Ic3Rabbit, I've purchased skates that were actually much stiffer than expected (myself and some other people would've thought that this is "overbooting"). However, since I'm heavy and tall, the new stiffness has provided to me great benefit and a whole new feeling of "being able to do stuff" on the ice. I was technically underbooting for years, and I can only say it has probably held me back for a long time.

ParadiceSport

Rinkside
Best is to skate with your level skates. Over booting can cause pain. Under booting can make your ankles "soft" :)