Cold Turkey | Golden Skate

Cold Turkey

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Early on in the pandemic, I was watching old skating events and I asked my young friend A. , who is new to our sport, if she is doing the same? She can work from home and of course cant go skate or even meet with her coaches, but bought a nice pair of roller blades and is doing very well with them. She said to me that it was too depressing to watch past events. Now I have to agree with her so I have gone cold turkey and stopped watching. I am resigned to the fact that SkateAmerica may not happen nor even nats for spectators....if at all. Very sad to be sure, but......

To paraphrase Humphrey Bogart at the end of Casablanca, what we feel doesnt amount to a hill of beans compared to the misery others are feeling right now all around the world.

We will get through this...there will be vaccinnes, and there will be skating once again.

If anyone else has a way to resign themselves to what may come, let me know! I count my blessings....

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
At least we can be grateful that we live at a time when there is so much of the skating that's gone before available online. Sure, it's not at all the same as new competitions, but just 10 years ago, being able to rewatch and save the FULL Worlds for 2019, 18, 17, much of the last two Olympics, and with any luck many more in crystal clarity, having so many major skaters' key performances (and for the biggest stars, every performance/practice/interview) at our fingertips any time we want to see them, and all of this in HD and advanced camera angles)... well, it would have been a nice dream. Had a similar pandemic hit at any earlier time, not only would it have been worse, not only would ordinary life and work been not just difficult but downright impossible, but sporting fandom of any kind would have been.... a void.

The skaters can connect with us in a way unthinkable just a few years ago - the two NA fundraisers, the Japanese skating forward, all the instagram and twitter that they all (okay, with one really obvious exception, but even he did, umm.... two :laugh:) put up to reach out to fans.

The season, or a lot of it, may be a washout. International competition may be on hold for months. But we still have a lot of history to enjoy, and ithese young people, and their teams, who give us so much, are safe and well and hopefully come through to 2021, when what we get back will be all the more appreciated.

(....at least until the first WUZROBBED of the new world.)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
At least we can be grateful that we live at a time when there is so much of the skating that's gone before available online. Sure, it's not at all the same as new competitions, but just 10 years ago, being able to rewatch and save the FULL Worlds for 2019, 18, 17, much of the last two Olympics, and with any luck many more in crystal clarity, having so many major skaters' key performances (and for the biggest stars, every performance/practice/interview) at our fingertips any time we want to see them, and all of this in HD and advanced camera angles)... well, it would have been a nice dream. Had a similar pandemic hit at any earlier time, not only would it have been worse, not only would ordinary life and work been not just difficult but downright impossible, but sporting fandom of any kind would have been.... a void.

The skaters can connect with us in a way unthinkable just a few years ago - the two NA fundraisers, the Japanese skating forward, all the instagram and twitter that they all (okay, with one really obvious exception, but even he did, umm.... two :laugh:) put up to reach out to fans.

The season, or a lot of it, may be a washout. International competition may be on hold for months. But we still have a lot of history to enjoy, and ithese young people, and their teams, who give us so much, are safe and well and hopefully come through to 2021, when what we get back will be all the more appreciated.

(....at least until the first WUZROBBED of the new world.)

All true, if you can still enjoy the past skates. I cant. A. and I get depressed watching skating now. Better to not watch for us.
Ref: "Had a similar pandemic hit at any earlier time, not only would it have been worse, not only would ordinary life and work been not just difficult but downright impossible, but sporting fandom of any kind would have been.... a void."
(I am sure you are too young to remember the past epidemics of 1958 and 1968, and maybe even 2009, though the death count world wide of that one was only 100,000-500,000. There was no real quarenteen. No news hysteria, No stopping of business or sports. Life went on. )