When to update blades | Page 2 | Golden Skate

When to update blades

Agreed, Debut wouldn't be the best long term solution.

Advice for OP:
The other stock Jackson boot's have low cut models if they suit you, though they are slightly weaker (only very slightly) and are mainly designed for ice dance.

If you end up going for Jackson Elites, make sure they are nothing more or less than the perfect size for you. If you don't get exactly the right size for your foot shape, expect lots of blistering. Expect Blistering anyways, as in my experience they are much harder to break in than Edeas (which are relatively weak in my opinion).

Some adults genuinely require ice flies / piano's , and if you buy expensive boots it'd be a waste to buy cheaper blades for them (the blades will be worse than the boot - not that any adult doing single jumps needs anything more than Coronation Ace).
I have seen adults who overboot because the Ice Fly / Piano looks good, and they think it will make them good. Same with the adults who have revolution blades. You won't be able to tell if they actually need it, as everybody has separate personal requirements.

Bear in mind with gold seal you will need to adjust all your spins, but it will be natural after a short period of time (1week - 1month depending on the person). If, like you originally suggested want to go for Coronation Ace I say go for it. I don't personally think Coronation Ace would be a bad move for anybody on a blade below it, as the move to it will make spins easier to center. Gold seal spinning is even nicer, but Coronation Ace -> Gold seal only really impacts if you are already doing good spins in Coronation Ace.

When changing the blade you will always struggle to adjust originally, but long term worth it.
Which city is the fitter in?
Having trained in the UK I experienced fitters who gave a variety of boots to children, but generally speaking only fitted everybody higher in Edea's. If you'd go on any British ice rink you'd think everybody was sponsored by Edea. Most fitters / coaches use the backwards "1 size fits all" approach, par a few good ones.

Thank you that’s super helpful as I’m not too familiar with Jacksons. The original skate tech was based in Sheffield which is super disappointing because their facilities are great but the skate fitting was sadly not everything it should have been. I’m not going to say where the second fitter is based as I don’t want to damage their reputation should anyone find this thread as they were super helpful. But they did bake my Edeas which I’ve been told is a no go (I wasn’t aware until I posted in here). Again that could have been due to my circumstances and not something they would regularly do. If you know of any good skate techs that would be amazing! :)

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Thank you that’s super helpful as I’m not too familiar with Jacksons. The original skate tech was based in Sheffield which is super disappointing because their facilities are great but the skate fitting was sadly not everything it should have been. I’m not going to say where the second fitter is based as I don’t want to damage their reputation should anyone find this thread as they were super helpful. But they did bake my Edeas which I’ve been told is a no go (I wasn’t aware until I posted in here). Again that could have been due to my circumstances and not something they would regularly do. If you know of any good skate techs that would be amazing! :)

Of course lockdown will be an issue.
PM me and I can give you the name of a coach/skate tech from somewhere pretty close to Sheffield who I believe is good.
I've had a bad experience with Sheffield (blade sharpening).

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
All I have to add to the good advice here is a bit of recent experience with Edea Overture and Rotation blades. A friend is very unhappy with the fit of her Overtures and asked if she could try my Graf Dance (a lovely low cut!) as they are a wide fitting. Now, she's been on the ice for just over a year, is in her fifties and not the strongest or bravest of beginners and I did warn her about the toe picks on my Phantoms... Well, she skated off in my skates beautifully and came back with a huge smile on her face. Yes, she loved the boots (which are too broken down for me now) but - apart from the "terrifying toepick", she absolutely loved the blades. "They're so sleek and fast!" I tried her Overture/Rotation combination and was absolutely horrified. Genuinely could not skate in them. They felt like they just stuck to the ice. Quite how anybody learns in those, I don't know. Switch up to Coronation Ace (or MK Pro) and you won't look back.