I wanna quit because all of my friends are getting better than me | Golden Skate

I wanna quit because all of my friends are getting better than me

Moran demayo

Spectator
Hi I'm skating for sometime now and I got some friends to skate with me and they are improving way faster than me even my little brother is now better than me I'm so sad and I can't even land a stupid Tre flip I just came back from a session and got the trucks to my knees this is so depressing

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi I'm skating for sometime now and I got some friends to skate with me and they are improving way faster than me even my little brother is now better than me I'm so sad and I can't even land a stupid Tre flip I just came back from a session and got the trucks to my knees this is so depressing

Hello Moran Demayo.

You are talking about skateboarding it appears. This is a figure skating forum and I don’t think we would have the answers to those questions.
Good luck:)

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States

(a) If you quit, there's a zero probability that you will be as good as, or better than, your friends.

(b) If you persevere, there's a non-zero probability that you will be as good as, or better than, your friends.

(c) That said, why does it matter?

Snorlax

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
(d) If you really enjoy skating, is quitting just because someone else is better/progressing faster really a thing?

(e) Have you exhausted all your options? Many sports (regardless of whether you mean iceskating or skateboarding now) require different exercise as complementary support. For us ice-skaters that means off-ice training for example. Strength exercises, balance training, none of them necessarily done on actual iceskates but rather on 2 normal feet and a yoga mat or a wobble cushion. :) Maybe see how that applies to your situation!

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Ok first I thought you mean triple flip and not tre flip.. then I was thinking.. ok if you can land a triple flip..you're in VERY good standing with your skills.. but yea.. clearly you're talking about figure skating however the advice is for any sport and any athlete.. You need to keep doing it because you like to and you find joy and happiness in it. Thats all that matters in the end..

Also everyone has different rates of improvement and you can't get better if you quit.. you may one day excel and become better than all of them or maybe you might not but you wont know until you try your hardest. Do you have a coach? do you do this in the hopes to compete etc? Everyone has a different way of learning too. I had a coach for years and years and I could never get my double flip.. I stopped skating ( not because of that lol) and recently I came back to figure skating 15 years later with a new coach.. I landed the jump with in a week because she explained it and showed me a different way that jived with me and my brain understood it better. Dont get down on your self for having a bad session, it happens to literally everyone including Olympic athletes. If you want to quit skateboarding because you honestly just dont really like it that much or dont really care..that is a different story.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ok first I thought you mean triple flip and not tre flip.. then I was thinking.. ok if you can land a triple flip..you're in VERY good standing with your skills.. but yea.. clearly you're talking about figure skating however the advice is for any sport and any athlete.. You need to keep doing it because you like to and you find joy and happiness in it. Thats all that matters in the end..

Also everyone has different rates of improvement and you can't get better if you quit.. you may one day excel and become better than all of them or maybe you might not but you wont know until you try your hardest. Do you have a coach? do you do this in the hopes to compete etc? Everyone has a different way of learning too. I had a coach for years and years and I could never get my double flip.. I stopped skating ( not because of that lol) and recently I came back to figure skating 15 years later with a new coach.. I landed the jump with in a week because she explained it and showed me a different way that jived with me and my brain understood it better. Dont get down on your self for having a bad session, it happens to literally everyone including Olympic athletes. If you want to quit skateboarding because you honestly just dont really like it that much or dont really care..that is a different story.

A tre flip is a move in skateboarding and that's what they're talking about.

https://youtu.be/n_lgPml1ZoM

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
A tre flip is a move in skateboarding and that's what they're talking about.

https://youtu.be/n_lgPml1ZoM

I think jersey1302 realized that, but left a "not" out of their first sentence.

Anyway, that looks like a good instructional video. Perhaps the OP could learn from it, especially the part where he says "learn the other tricks first, it's a progression" or something along those lines.

Based on this, my advice for the OP is "learn the tricks in order. Don't try to run before you can walk. In figure skating terms, don't try to do a triple flip until you've mastered a double flip and a triple salchow.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I have no clue about skateboarding difficulty. You should try find a skate-board forum.
That being said, whenever I failed at something for a long period of time in figure skating I always asked myself "Why are you doing this?"
If you are doing it to be compared to other people, forget it.
If you are doing it to win, but also enjoy it then maybe consider taking a more recreational approach.
If you are doing it because you love it, then forget your friends even exist. focus on yourself, and enjoy doing it. Different people progress at different rates, and maybe you will never be a "famous skateboarder" or however the skateboarding community works - but you will have a lot of fun.

cl2

Final Flight
Some life advice, if you quit something just because others are getting ahead of you, then you're looking at a life of failure. Simply because there will always be someone better than you.

Instead, ask yourself why do you want to continue? Does it bring you joy? Do you enjoy the social aspect of hanging out with your friends (even though they are getting better than you)? Or is skateboarding taking away time from some other skill you could be learning instead? Are you a competitive personality and want to engage in activities only if you can achieve the highest echelons, and/or garner admiration and praise? There is no right answer, but if you are seeking some direction to go, you may find it helpful to think deeper about your motivations.

sparklestan

On the Ice
Not everyone’s progress is linear. It’s possible that if you keep working you’ll advance past them in some time.