Road to the 2006 Olympics for the Canadian skaters (Fifth Estate) | Golden Skate

Road to the 2006 Olympics for the Canadian skaters (Fifth Estate)

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just came across this program from The Fifth Estate (like 60 Minutes in America) on the skaters trying out for the 2006 Canadian Olympic team.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5th+estate+edge+of+glory

Included are Emanuel Sandhu, Jeffrey Buttle, Chris Mabee, Joannie Rochette, Leslie Hawker

The Canadian Championships for 2006 can be seen on Heavenly Joy's site. You also get a sneak peek at a baby Patrick Chan.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDTIIkUyzJyNcwmSGejAU6Q/search?query=2006

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well that’s interesting. I did not know Emanuel Sandhu skated for Canada. Does anyone know when/why he switched to US?

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well that’s interesting. I did not know Emanuel Sandhu skated for Canada. Does anyone know when/why he switched to US?

Perhaps you are thinking of Johnny Weir? Johnny always skated for USA, he is from Pennsylvania I believe and Emanuel has always skated for Canada. They are both very creative, individuals with a flair for fashion and choreography. Both were never afraid to go their own way.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Sandhu never skated for the USA. Perhaps you are thinking of Keegan Messing who is from Alaska and has dual Canadian/US citizenship(his mother is Canadian by birth), he skated for the US in the early part of the last decade and then switched to represent Canada.

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sandhu never skated for the USA. Perhaps you are thinking of Keegan Messing who is from Alaska and has dual Canadian/US citizenship(his mother is Canadian by birth), he skated for the US in the early part of the last decade and then switched to represent Canada.

Ic3Rabbitt - I wonder if you would comment on the feature above. Was it fair to the skaters included or too much gossip? For the record I felt that all the skaters were very talented and I watched it hoping to learn more about them and their road to the Olympics. I am not trying to dig for gossip, just wanting to know how this program was received in Canada and by the skaters.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Ic3Rabbitt - I wonder if you would comment on the feature above. Was it fair to the skaters included or too much gossip? For the record I felt that all the skaters were very talented and I watched it hoping to learn more about them and their road to the Olympics. I am not trying to dig for gossip, just wanting to know how this program was received in Canada and by the skaters.

Sorry, no comment.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

i not a skater or part of the skating world... but I am Canadian... and have been following the sport for a long long time... I don't think there was anything too gossipy in this film. It is the first time I see it but at Nationals, we would hear about these stories : Leslie's siblings and her waiting tables, Emmanuel's night life adventures, Jeff' engineering degree.... etc I see no harm in trying to show how some athletes in the sport may come from better off families and others have to struggle to make it... or how some have more aptitudes than others...In my opinion, it simply aims at showing how anybody can reach out for their dreams, some succeeding.. others not. It democratizes the sport.
Finally : I don't think there was much gossip in there : the skaters revealed much of their own stories themselves... Now, would 14-15 later make a show like this one? 60 minutes? I think that some of the contents would irk people but if we ever got 60 minutes of skating fluff at this point, I'd be thrilled...

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i not a skater or part of the skating world... but I am Canadian... and have been following the sport for a long long time... I don't think there was anything too gossipy in this film. It is the first time I see it but at Nationals, we would hear about these stories : Leslie's siblings and her waiting tables, Emmanuel's night life adventures, Jeff' engineering degree.... etc I see no harm in trying to show how some athletes in the sport may come from better off families and others have to struggle to make it... or how some have more aptitudes than others...In my opinion, it simply aims at showing how anybody can reach out for their dreams, some succeeding.. others not. It democratizes the sport.
Finally : I don't think there was much gossip in there : the skaters revealed much of their own stories themselves... Now, would 14-15 later make a show like this one? 60 minutes? I think that some of the contents would irk people but if we ever got 60 minutes of skating fluff at this point, I'd be thrilled...

thanks for your comments. It just seemed a very unusual topic for a news show and I was just curious. I thought it seemed fair as well. I went back and watched the skaters again and found it did not change my opinions about their actual skating. Either way, I am glad they all reached national recognition for their talent and hard work. I found them all very enjoyable skaters.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm guessing it wasn't Emmanuel Savary in 2006 but instead his older brother Joel who competed around that time.

Joel went on to coach his brother Emmanuel and others.