2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 94 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fried

Final Flight
I think choices like Kostornaia's are the best way to get more public interested in FS, especially the young generation. Skaters tend to choose contemporary music for galas, but competitive programs are better for showcasing how FS goes with the times.
Then you should consequently say goodbye to all the glittering princess dresses. Aljona could lead the way with gray or blue colored hair and in a Billie Eilish style jogging suit. But I think that may be a little too much to ask. :laugh:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCeMxeaIxs5/

Alyona's free program music announcement!!!

Look's like three different version's of Billie Eilish and Khalid's 'Lovely', starting with an instrumental version, going on to the original, and then going on to a sort of remix version? The last part is whats in the video I think?

Not what I would've expected for her, but the step sequence looks promising?

I really like the choreography for the step sequence! Although, I was hoping for something classical, since Alyona skates to those so beautifully. But, she did a great job with Twilight last season so I’m sure she’ll sell this one too!:hap10:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Also, am I the only one who really enjoyed Daniil's skating in the clip? He really gave it his all and was fully into the choreo :)

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
Also, am I the only one who really enjoyed Daniil's skating in the clip? He really gave it his all and was fully into the choreo :)

He completely overshadowed Alyona - understandable since she's not in her top form yet after the quarantine (and exercising under Alina's instructions helped Daniil stay in better shape, it seems :biggrin:).

SkateSkates

Medalist
He completely overshadowed Alyona - understandable since she's not in her top form yet after the quarantine (and exercising under Alina's instructions helped Daniil stay in better shape, it seems :biggrin:).

He might’ve been giving it his all, but his turns in the 2nd cluster were a bit flat, Aliona had him beat there :) (and it was a perfect angle to show the depth of those turns)

This Stsq will require a lot of energy and commitment to pull off, especially at the end of the program. But I think Aliona will be up to it! Can’t wait to see how the 3 versions come together.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I‘m not watching the skating awards because I don‘t want them to continue for another year but I heard Aliona won Best Newcomers (no surprises there). Congratulations to her!! :)

brakes

On the Ice
My (controversial) two cents: I think Eteri didn't participate live in the ISU Awards out of respect to absent Alina and her fans.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Yeah, he should improve the illusion tho, and the last 2-3 seconds looked like random arms flailing so hope they'll rework that.

I hope the short is something more soft and lyrical: i don't mind modern songs given her age but she is also the best all-around skater of Sambo70.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
My (controversial) two cents: I think Eteri didn't participate live in the ISU Awards out of respect to absent Alina and her fans.

Possible, i just wish she toned down the beauty filters in that pre-recorded video.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I‘m not watching the skating awards because I don‘t want them to continue for another year but I heard Aliona won Best Newcomers (no surprises there). Congratulations to her!! :)

Same here :)
I think it would’ve been better if they included all those nominations for all 4 categories: men, ladies, pairs and ice dance.

+ mainly focused and rewarded choreographers for the best program, and designers for the best costume, not the skaters. I feel like awards should really go to people who are often in the shadows of the success of their skaters, they don’t really get recognition (perhaps other than standing at the boards), so it would’ve been nice if ISU showed appreciation to more of those people.

I feel like it wasn’t well thought through, but I’m still happy for all nominees and winners.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think choices like Kostornaia's are the best way to get more public interested in FS, especially the young generation. Skaters tend to choose contemporary music for galas, but competitive programs are better for showcasing how FS goes with the times.

They've had this around for like 5-6 years, still no remarkable improvement in public interest; I only remember seeing a few articles about Ivett Toth after her AC/DC at the Olympics.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Do we know if Masha ever trained a quad or a 3A? IMO, being taller or wider (though masha wasn’t wide at all) doesn’t necessarily mean a quad or 3A is an impossible feat; you may have to work a bit harder but I believe it’s possible. Tall Guliakova trained a 3A. Not-tall-but-not-tiny-either Midori and Tonya trained 3A.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
If fans of skaters not nominated all boycotted, there would be no point of an award show. Seems maybe this will be the one and only time they do it. They can’t nominate every skater, and some fans got very very offended this year and it seemed to really impact their lives. I hope the ISU stops doing this for the sake of the fans

Fluture

Record Breaker
If fans of skaters not nominated all boycotted, there would be no point of an award show. Seems maybe this will be the one and only time they do it. They can’t nominate every skater, and some fans got very very offended this year and it seemed to really impact their lives. I hope the ISU stops doing this for the sake of the fans

Well, yeah, but honestly, it‘s not all about that. My favorite two skaters did get nominated as well as others in the sport I appreciate. I still found the whole premise ill-advised at best and downright insulting at worst, considering the original plan had been to basically cheat ticket buyers at Worlds 2020 of their chance to see the Gala.

At the one big ISU competition I did attend, the gala was one of my favorite moments - it was great seeing the skaters just do their thing for once, without the whole pressure of medals and scores. The ISU wanted (wants?) to replace the Worlds gala - where we get to see many skaters we otherwise might not - with this... show. For someone who was planning on attending Worlds in the future, this is a slap in the face. Sorry, but I’ve got better uses for my money than throwing it after a lame, rigged popularity-contest-Oscars rip-off. And again, that‘s from someone whose favorite skaters/choreographers DID get nominated (and some won, too)

The only way I could see this working is if they either keep it completely online as a sort of off-season content or if the awards were honoring people in the sport that otherwise don‘t get as much recognition. For example, I wouldn‘t mind Ted getting one, or the actual dress makers, or hell, even the camera people or Zamboni drivers or whatever. Make it funny, make it a little thing to entertain the audience during ice-resurfacing break, I don‘t know. Just not... this.

I wish for Aliona (I do feel sorry for Sasha and Anna, though, especially the latter looked pretty disappointed) and the other winners to enjoy their award but I seriously hope that this was the last time we got to see something like this.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm with Fluture, I did not watch because I think the whole premise of it is stupid and watching it would encourage it.

I could make a lot of comments about that statement. :slink:

Hopefully like the stupid BV changes they made to the lutz, they will reverse course on keeping these awards. If they are going to continue it, I think they need to make some changes
A) the costume award is presented to the actual designer to give them a spotlight that they rarely get
B) be clear about the "qualifications" of skaters getting into the award ceremony; I've got no issue with Zagitova not being included, but had the rules/qualifications been clear at the beginning the ISU would have saved themselves some blowback from her uber-fans.
C) They change the "Short-list" of nominees to be 1 skater per discipline. IMO the biggest sham on the awards was the "Best Newcomer award" nominations when they were announced, the only logical reasoning that Shcherbakova was not included as a nominee when she beat Young You in multiple competitions and did much more "historic" things (holds the records for senior ladies quad lutz) is the ISU did not want the nominees to be all from 1 country - they could have had the nominees restricted to 1 skater per discipline and achieved the lack of domination by 1 country and it look less suspicious.

dhjh811

On the Ice

Aliona overshadowed Danil imo. His turns were sloppy,
and Aliona was sleek and modern. She truly has great skating skills. Choreographers usually have great skating skills that are on a different league from most active competing figure skaters, but I think she had him beat there.

Status
Not open for further replies.