2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 183 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad Karigov

On the Ice
Understanding why the federation moved Valieva from junior to senior tests is very simple, it is pure common sense. It is mainly a message for plushenko that no matter how many girls he catches from Tutberidze, there will always be more behind, secondly it is a show of support for Tudberidze of allowing him to show 3 skaters when the other coaches and plushenko will only have at most 2; And finally, it is pure publicity for the event, because it will be televised nationally for TV1, and while more Tutberidze girls are on the ice it is obvious that there will be higher ratings.

This is unpopular but it must be said. Seriously plushifans stop your envy. I know it is annoying to know that your gold coach has not won anything compared to Tutberidze, all by dedicating himself to removing skaters instead of training the few who want to train in their academy from childhood.

Honestly leave the envy, some comments are read bordering the hatred of Tutberidze for the change of Valieva from junior to seniors. If Plushenko had behaved as a coach the federation would not have come to this; the saddest thing is that so far Plushenko says nothing about Valieva, because he knows that the criticism would rain, i wish his fans would behave the same.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Understanding why the federation moved Valieva from junior to senior tests is very simple, it is pure common sense. It is mainly a message for plushenko that no matter how many girls he catches from Tutberidze, there will always be more behind, secondly it is a show of support for Tudberidze of allowing him to show 3 skaters when the other coaches and plushenko will only have at most 2; And finally, it is pure publicity for the event, because it will be televised nationally for TV1, and while more Tutberidze girls are on the ice it is obvious that there will be higher ratings.

This is unpopular but it must be said. Seriously plushifans stop your envy. I know it is annoying to know that your gold coach has not won anything compared to Tutberidze, all by dedicating himself to removing skaters instead of training the few who want to train in their academy from childhood.

Honestly leave the envy, some comments are read bordering the hatred of Tutberidze for the change of Valieva from junior to seniors. If Plushenko had behaved as a coach the federation would not have come to this; the saddest thing is that so far Plushenko says nothing about Valieva, because he knows that the criticism would rain, i wish his fans would behave the same.

We are already aware the federation prioritizes Eteri skaters. This has been no secret the past couple of years. And you are correct this situation is no exception, it was done as yet another maneuver to show support for Eteri's group over others. Where we differ is that you seem to think blatant favoritism bordering on corruption is ok simply because a coach has shown results. It is not.

Envy, hateful comments toward skaters perceived as threatening one's favorites, coaches not behaving as coaches. That's all pretty rich coming from that side.

colormyworld240

Medalist
But why we are seeing the test skates as something high pressured for the skaters, when in fact is not. I mean, i watched ice dance test skate already and many of the skaters were skipping their elements when they wanted to. It's not like people were competing there. It's all about the feedback for their programmes and elements, nothing more than that :confused2:

I think it's different with the senior ladies test because of the competition. Everyone will be comparing Kamila to the seniors and I'm sure it'll be all over the media. And because she is allowed this "special treatment" that the other juniors aren't, that will draw even more attention to her. Wasn't it 2018 test skates where Alina bombed Carmen and TAT & Co. were saying how she has lost her spark, the fire in her eyes, etc.? And everyone was saying she was a 1 season wonder who lost her jumps and only won the Olympics because she got lucky? Or when Evgenia fell at last year's and everyone was going on about her being was done, it was her second season with Brian and she still isn't consistent? If Kamila bombs, she'll be dragged. If she doesn't bomb, she'll be hyped up as the new Olympic champion and all the pressure will fall on her especially if she has a better showing than the seniors.

I don't see this as a privilege; maybe the federation does because they see it as a gift to be the only junior skating at senior test skates. I think it's more of a curse, especially given what Yulia and Alina have said about the pressure from prominent figures and the media (both were 15 when they blew up) and Kamila is even younger.

Kamila skating at this year's senior nationals is different (like Alysa skating at US nationals). She will not be the only one, other juniors can earn their spot. And that will be the last competition before she goes to seniors, so having the comparison with her against the senior girls makes sense because that's where she will be the following season. Anyways, the federation has made their decision and I hope the pressure doesn't eat her alive and she can maintain her confidence if the big Russian FS figures end up dragging her skating. I can already see it: "Can't jump like Sasha, skate like Alena, or emote like Anna".

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Kamila is special. My favorite skater whom I absolutely adore is actually someone else but even I can see that Kamila is special. And it seems like the judges thought so too last season.

From a speculative point of view I think Rusfed is (rightly) banking on Kamila. Yes Russia has other good juniors, seniors etc but I suspect they think Kamila is IT. The next upgrade in ladies figure skating. That combined with all the uncertainty of Covid perhaps they want to give her more experience, up the pressure, let her make any mistakes/have any meltdowns now, be under intense scrutiny now and get her familiar to all these feelings before the Olympic season. I don't think it's a bad strategy (if that is even what they're going for).

Better to blow up now with pressure than at the Olympics. And if she doesn't, if she does magnificently she can forge ahead and go "I've got this!"

Scott512

Record Breaker
lets not get ahea

Agreed.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I really don’t understand why is everyone so upset about Valieva being allowed to senior test skates. The test skates don’t really mean anything. I would understand with people being upset about her getting free pass to the nationals, but who cares when she shows her programs? One year Voronov and Radionova could not attend senior test skates, so they were allowed to show their programs at the junior test skates. No one made a big drama out of that!

I am more curious how they are going to sort out the qualification for the nationals. Recently they published that the Russian cups are the only way to qualify to the nationals this year. The problem with this is, only pairs were allowed to attend both junior and senior Russian cup events in one season. Singles had to choose, whether they want to attend junior events or senior Russian cup events; they were not allowed to attend both. Someone still could qualify and attend both senior and junior nationals, for example by having JGP event the skater qualified to junior nationals and then qualifying to JGPF or having good results at two senior Russian cup events would qualify the skater for senior nationals. But if the skater did not get JGP event, then they had to choose which nationals are more important and qualify through the Russian cups. This will cause serious problems to those who are planning to move to seniors next season (e.g. Valieva, Khromykh and Usacheva). They need to do junior Russian cup events to get to junior nationals to qualify for junior worlds, but at the same time they want to compete at senior nationals too because they want to be in top six to get to the main senior team, because of funding and assignments for the next season. So if they can’t attend both junior and senior Russian cup events, which events will they choose? What is more important, junior worlds or getting to senior national team for funding for the next season?

Maybe it will be something like "first three standings in the junior cup can attend also senior nationals, others only junior nationals" or something like that.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
I think it's different with the senior ladies test because of the competition. Everyone will be comparing Kamila to the seniors and I'm sure it'll be all over the media. And because she is allowed this "special treatment" that the other juniors aren't, that will draw even more attention to her. Wasn't it 2018 test skates where Alina bombed Carmen and TAT & Co. were saying how she has lost her spark, the fire in her eyes, etc.? And everyone was saying she was a 1 season wonder who lost her jumps and only won the Olympics because she got lucky? Or when Evgenia fell at last year's and everyone was going on about her being was done, it was her second season with Brian and she still isn't consistent? If Kamila bombs, she'll be dragged. If she doesn't bomb, she'll be hyped up as the new Olympic champion and all the pressure will fall on her especially if she has a better showing than the seniors.

I don't see this as a privilege; maybe the federation does because they see it as a gift to be the only junior skating at senior test skates. I think it's more of a curse, especially given what Yulia and Alina have said about the pressure from prominent figures and the media (both were 15 when they blew up) and Kamila is even younger.

Kamila skating at this year's senior nationals is different (like Alysa skating at US nationals). She will not be the only one, other juniors can earn their spot. And that will be the last competition before she goes to seniors, so having the comparison with her against the senior girls makes sense because that's where she will be the following season. Anyways, the federation has made their decision and I hope the pressure doesn't eat her alive and she can maintain her confidence if the big Russian FS figures end up dragging her skating. I can already see it: "Can't jump like Sasha, skate like Alena, or emote like Anna".

But we already know she can't jump like Sasha, skate like Alena and emote like Anna, however she can do all that things on a very high level.:confused2:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I've just seen the most charming russian lady skater :agree:
https://youtu.be/z35dX3EEGko?t=476
It's a bit of a documentary about Russia made by DW. I have some issues with that but this 79 y.o. Baikal skater Lyubov is charming and I very like her views of life.

Kittosuni

Medalist
Without any bias(unconscious or not) and by the use of just pure common sense, Valieva is skating at the senior test skate because she is one of major contenders realistically can make the Russian team for the upcoming olympics. Makes sense to group her with those ladies now. This practice is very common in other sports like gymnastics, diving etc. That’s it.

dlco

Rinkside
Without any bias(unconscious or not) and by the use of just pure common sense, Valieva is skating at the senior test skate because she is one of major contenders realistically can make the Russian team for the upcoming olympics. Makes sense to group her with those ladies now. This practice is very common in other sports like gymnastics, diving etc. That’s it.
Without any bias (unconscious or not) and by the use of just pure common sense I would say that this situation has nothing to do with the upcoming olympics which is in year and half (in the best case scenario).

Kittosuni

Medalist
Without any bias (unconscious or not) and by the use of just pure common sense I would say that this situation has nothing to do with the upcoming olympics which is in year and half (in the best case scenario).

Actually 2 years out before the olympics is usually where the wunderkids are slowly being integrated to the senior squad. Like I said pretty common in sport.

dlco

Rinkside
Actually 2 years out before the olympics is usually where the wunderkids are slowly being integrated to the senior squad. Like I said pretty common in sport.
Valieva, Usacheva, Khromykh, Muravyova and Osokina will be "integrated to the senior squad" at the RusNats, like Sinitsyna/Frolova were last year, and Trusova/Щerbakova year before, and like Zagitova before previous OG. Test skates have nothing to do with it.

Scott512

Record Breaker
But we already know she can't jump like Sasha, skate like Alena and emote like Anna, however she can do all that things on a very high level.:confused2:
She is a complete skater for 14. Let's see what she can develop into especially as she faces puberty the next 2 years.
There is a big fantasm around Team Tutberidze...it's boring....it's probably jealousy...
Yep.
I've just seen the most charming russian lady skater :agree:
https://youtu.be/z35dX3EEGko?t=476
It's a bit of a documentary about Russia made by DW. I have some issues with that but this 79 y.o. Baikal skater Lyubov is charming and I very like her views of life.
Thank you for that video. It was a great way to start the day. She is remarkable.
Agreed. Besides there are so many super talented girls between the age of 14 and 16 right now I really don't know who could beat in the finalists for the next Olympic team. I think kamila has a great chance. But we will find out in the next year or so.
Did Pluschenko start to poach CSKA skaters too?
Say it ain't so!

All these super talented and awesome girls that are leaving the teams that made them really good to great going to the Plushenko academy to get more attention and private coaching is going to get a little bit crowded on ice with talented girls. Oopsies! And to think Sasha thought she was going to be the only one. ;) That changed fast. Good luck to all the girls that have left their teams to go to Plushenko. Now the pressure is really on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.