2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 95 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
It would be interresting to see more renowned choreographers today to do their choreo together with the skater.

Fluture

Record Breaker
It would be interresting to see more renowned choreographers today to do their choreo together with the skater.

Well, they‘re not doing the entire step sequence together like Daniil and Aliona did but there‘s footage of Zhenya and Shae-Lynn creating Memoirs of a Geisha together.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B4MrXi1Ilv0/?igshid=1oj30l52kei7f

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B4MqHqBodzL/?igshid=1b5h5mr4jw7hk

I found it pretty interesting. In terms of the turns and steps, Shae definitely has Zhenya beat there but she was an ice dancer, so everything else would habe been very unexpected.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Aliona overshadowed Danil imo. His turns were sloppy,
and Aliona was sleek and modern. She truly has great skating skills. Choreographers usually have great skating skills that are on a different league from most active competing figure skaters, but I think she had him beat there.

It depends sometimes choreographers don't even show it, but they just tell you what to do or they have a skater to show it for them, like Lori Nichol, Tarasova also was like that.

If fans of skaters not nominated all boycotted, there would be no point of an award show. Seems maybe this will be the one and only time they do it. They can’t nominate every skater, and some fans got very very offended this year and it seemed to really impact their lives. I hope the ISU stops doing this for the sake of the fans

if someone got very offended by this because their favourite skaters didn't win, i think it's their problem and they should seek for help rather than ISU, no offense.

The nominees were chosen by either fans or coaches or federations depending on the category so they were all involved in the process.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Yikes that that... thing Bates was wearing beat Shcherbakova for best costume. Anna Shcherbakova's costume changes got +20k upvotes several times on Reddit and millions of views but okay then.

moriel

Record Breaker
It depends sometimes choreographers don't even show it, but they just tell you what to do or they have a skater to show it for them, like Lori Nichol, Tarasova also was like that.

if someone got very offended by this because their favourite skaters didn't win, i think it's their problem and they should seek for help rather than ISU, no offense.

The nominees were chosen by either fans or coaches or federations depending on the category so they were all involved in the process.

To be very honest, the decision process was very unclear to fans. I mean, they said who was involved, yeah, but there are literally 0 information on details, such as "skater A got X fan votes, and then coaches thought this, and federations though that, and then each decision had a weight W, so the final result is ... "

I actually quite understand why man fans are upset - because there was literall 0 transparency.

Specifically to me, quite a few decisions - both on nominates and actual awards - there seem more political rather than based on figure skating, to give something to all federations involved.

... give something to all federations involved.

I am sure that this was part of the ISU's consideration. They are consistently looking for ways to reach out to make figure skating a truly international sport.

Last edited:

Scott512

Record Breaker
Do we know if Masha ever trained a quad or a 3A? IMO, being taller or wider (though masha wasn’t wide at all) doesn’t necessarily mean a quad or 3A is an impossible feat; you may have to work a bit harder but I believe it’s possible. Tall Guliakova trained a 3A. Not-tall-but-not-tiny-either Midori and Tonya trained 3A.
It's really not possible or very low odds to do it at 5 ft 8 in tall ladies figure skating. Guliakova is almost as tall as Masha and she does a 3A in training but until she does it in a competition it doesn't count. Physics plays a role in all of this because it's harder to rotate your arms and legs the taller and longer you are and the thicker and wider you are.

Scott512

Record Breaker
To be very honest, the decision process was very unclear to fans. I mean, they said who was involved, yeah, but there are literally 0 information on details, such as "skater A got X fan votes, and then coaches thought this, and federations though that, and then each decision had a weight W, so the final result is ... "

I actually quite understand why man fans are upset - because there was literall 0 transparency.

Specifically to me, quite a few decisions - both on nominates and actual awards - there seem more political rather than based on figure skating, to give something to all federations involved.

Excellent points. There will never be a perfect awards show. I don't like anything the ISU does so I don't like their load show to begin with.

By the way I haven't seen you in ages it seems like years. ;) welcome back Moriel.

moriel

Record Breaker
Excellent points. There will never be a perfect awards show. I don't like anything the ISU does so I don't like their load show to begin with.

By the way I haven't seen you in ages it seems like years. ;) welcome back Moriel.

Hellor :)
Was kind of away because i live in a dummyland with a dummy president and sort of isolated myself from fellow humans to avoid accidentally commiting suicide by facepalm.

As for voting, I dont mind a show at all, but as a maths person, I would prefer clear criteria - it is something that brings me comfort regardless of results. I mean, as a Zagitova fan I am outraged that she didnt make the nominees because I know for a fact she has a huge fan base and Im sure tons of people voted on her. But if they had open fan voting results, did not add new athletes after the voting started, and stated clearly something like "fan voting counts as 10%, and skaters who are taking a break are not eligible" I would understand and be fine with that.
(and yeah, it would be good to make this clear beforehand)

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yikes that that... thing Bates was wearing beat Shcherbakova for best costume. Anna Shcherbakova's costume changes got +20k upvotes several times on Reddit and millions of views but okay then.

Just because your costume has a gimmick doesn’t mean your costume is the best stylistically. In fact, I preferred Anna’s SP dress to her FS dress this season.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Just because your costume has a gimmick doesn’t mean your costume is the best stylistically. In fact, I preferred Anna’s SP dress to her FS dress this season.

That's once again very subjective. I am a man, so I have probably slightly different opinion about what is beautiful, what suits women or what is "best stylistaclly" than many women or costume designers. Though as I can judge from the reactions of the women around me, they mostly appreciated Anna's "Firebird" costume very much. Also the reaction of the audience was always really very positive. I'm definitely sure that even with my minimal sense for fashion I will remember this dress for a long time. :)

Happy Skates

Final Flight

The award was not named "best stylistic costume", it was "best costume". Anna's "gimmick" was very popular, and enhanced the experience of the program for many people. I agree that Anna's sp dress was more elaborate and beautiful, but the award didn't specify that it had to be the style that was the best part of the costume. I don't know why people think the costume change is an illegitimate thing to be nominated for or win for. Her costume added to the program in a way that no one else's this season. If people think that her costume didn't deserve to win, fine, thats their opinion, but it doesn't make the opinion that it did deserve to win invalid. I personally think that the costume change was more unique and added more to the program than any other costume did stylistically.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
The award was not named "best stylistic costume", it was "best costume". Anna's "gimmick" was very popular, and enhanced the experience of the program for many people. I agree that Anna's sp dress was more elaborate and beautiful, but the award didn't specify that it had to be the style that was the best part of the costume. I don't know why people think the costume change is an illegitimate thing to be nominated for or win for. Her costume added to the program in a way that no one else's this season. If people think that her costume didn't deserve to win, fine, thats their opinion, but it doesn't make the opinion that it did deserve to win invalid. I personally think that the costume change was more unique and added more to the program than any other costume did stylistically.

I still enjoyed Anna’s costume change, don’t get me wrong! It certainly added excitement and suspense to her program! To me, it just wasn’t as beautiful stylistically as Chock/Bates. Although I preferred Chock/Bates costumes, Anna’s costumes were also two of my favorites last season. I was a bit harsh in my last post, I just thought the costume change still did not quite compare to Chock/Bates. Again, this is just my opinion, and since I’m not on the jury, my opinion doesn’t even matter! :laugh2:

Edit: this is also a reply to Flanker’s post, as Anna’s costume was not ugly, it was a beautiful costume, it just wasn’t my favorite Firebird costume (I really likeD Gracie’s). Again, this is all opinion based, I just liked Chock/Bates costumes better!

Amei

Record Breaker
I still enjoyed Anna’s costume change, don’t get me wrong! It certainly added excitement and suspense to her program! To me, it just wasn’t as beautiful stylistically as Chock/Bates. Although I preferred Chock/Bates costumes, Anna’s costumes were also two of my favorites last season. I was a bit harsh in my last post, I just thought the costume change still did not quite compare to Chock/Bates. Again, this is just my opinion, and since I’m not on the jury, my opinion doesn’t even matter! :laugh2:

Edit: this is also a reply to Flanker’s post, as Anna’s costume was not ugly, it was a beautiful costume, it just wasn’t my favorite Firebird costume (I really likeD Gracie’s). Again, this is all opinion based, I just liked Chock/Bates costumes better!

The Chock part of the costume was definitely interesting and her attitude with the performance is what made it dynamite; the Bates part reminded me of baby food.

Shcherbakova's costume change was nice and it was a dynamic way to note the music change, but it was 1 of those things where the first time she did it was really unique and cool looking but as the season went on it seemed she lost a bit of the spark in doing the change, almost like she was getting bored of it. I remember it was mentioned that the skirt was really heavy.

Shcherbakova's firebird costume is actually 1 of my favorite Firebird costumes in that I can remember of Firebird costumes because its not the stereotypical bird-esque costume that everyone seems to do with a Firebird program.

Resa

On the Ice
2020. What more can I say? :laugh:
Liza quite often skates to lyrical programs in my opinion. However, I don't think that this is her reals SP music. There is a cut in the middle of her performance, but the music keeps playing without disturbance, so I think it was just a "random" music overlay.

Status
Not open for further replies.