2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 91 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
I have a feeling that in Russia, Eastern Europe people grow up and become adults faster than in Western Europe. It’s just my personal observation, no scientific evidence :)
Someone at the age of 25 in Russia and say Austria would be at completely different stages of their lives. 25 in Austria - probably still a young boy and a student, who’s taking his time to figure out what he wants to do next in life.
25 in Russia - an full grown adult, who’s ready to put a down payment for an apartment, buy a car, already considering a family and ready to provide. Being a student until you’re 30 and depending on your parents would look hella weird in Russia, but in Germany it wouldn’t be that socially unacceptable, because a lot of people like to travel and explore their opportunities in their 20s.

Hence, probably, that’s why they marry earlier as well.

Not written to offend anyone in Europe or with any ill will :) I think it’s good to take your time, if you have an opportunity for that.
I also feel like Americans generally tend to grow up faster as well, they start taking responsibility for themselves really early.

I think growing up is too generalized.
In my country, people are considered grown ups when they graduate from college and start living by themselves, around 25+. But people just get married here around 35+. In terms of capitalism/consuming patterns, people in my country prefer to have kids when they are at the top of their careers, with lots of money. I disagree with that, but even so, with my future profession, I guess I won’t be able to get married before I finish all the residency and fellowship years, and get some money for at least 1-2 years before the wedding. So, yeah, before 32 for me will be almost impossible. Whenever someone gets married before 30 here, it’s an anomaly.

Culturally, when I read about skaters having babies and getting married at my age, it’s quite a shock. But it’s more of a cultural aspect, rather than a “grown-up” aspect in my opinion.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
Seriously! That and practice videos. Updates have been oddly lacking lately.

https://youtu.be/xcDfgjTsP58

Since you’re talking about that, and I’ll start this new vibe of being more positive - to show that I can, and also because I want to share the feeling, here is a compilation video (not an update, but it was uploaded this week) of Anna’s. The interview part is the cutest ever. Anna is the type of girl I would like to have as a daughter - strong, determined, polite, and sweet/cute. Ok, it sounded kinda creepy, maybe I’m hormonal and my uterus wants to have a baby right now. Among Anna/Aliona/Sasha, I guess she’s the easiest to like as a person, although the other two are lovely as well. Sasha, when she’s laughing because she’s shy is the most relatable person ever, this is probably her cutest moment. And Aliona is at her most likeable moments when she’s being funny talking about tv shows and how people have to stop her from seeing the competitors before her with weird gestures.

Before anyone points out I’m fake - I’m not talking about technique here. I’m talking about their personality.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
I have a feeling that in Russia, Eastern Europe people grow up and become adults faster than in Western Europe. It’s just my personal observation, no scientific evidence :)
Someone at the age of 25 in Russia and say Austria would be at completely different stages of their lives. 25 in Austria - probably still a young boy and a student, who’s taking his time to figure out what he wants to do next in life.
25 in Russia - an full grown adult, who’s ready to put a down payment for an apartment, buy a car, already considering a family and ready to provide. Being a student until you’re 30 and depending on your parents would look hella weird in Russia, but in Germany it wouldn’t be that socially unacceptable, because a lot of people like to travel and explore their opportunities in their 20s.

Hence, probably, that’s why they marry earlier as well.

Not written to offend anyone in Europe or with any ill will :) I think it’s good to take your time, if you have an opportunity for that.
I also feel like Americans generally tend to grow up faster as well, they start taking responsibility for themselves really early.
I wonder if these young athletes get married (and have kids) younger than most because they already have jobs and careers so don't have to wait to "settle down" or anything. Just my thoughts.
I'm happy for Maria and her post was beautiful.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
This. Physical beauty is something highly admired by society, but it has nothing to do with someone's athletic performance. There is a huge double standard seen between the discussion of female and male athletes, and also between sports that are more performative in nature vs. those that are dependent only on time, height, goals scored etc...

The physical beauty or lack of it that any figure skater has nothing to do with their athletic or artistic skills. These young ladies are serious hardworking athletes and should be admired for that, not for the shape of their noses.

I don't really understand why this topic is being brought up here.
Did I miss a post where someone said that this or that skater is only worth admiring because they're pretty? :scratch2:

Finley

Record Breaker
I don't really understand why this topic is being brought up here.
Did I miss a post where someone said that this or that skater is only worth admiring because they're pretty? :scratch2:

I don't understand it either, but I'm deleting all my posts related to the subject. I've also asked Mathman twice now to delete the sentence he quoted out of context in his post (#1805) taken from one of my deleted posts. It no longer makes any sense. Whether he ever deletes it or not, hopefully everyone will just disregard it.

When someone asks the question: "is Usain Bolt famous for his speed or face?" I can't tell whether that person is joking or being so incredibly condescending it doesn't deserve a response. Either way that's it for me.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I don't understand it either, but I'm deleting all my posts related to the subject. I've also asked Mathman twice now to delete the sentence he quoted out of context in his post (#1805) taken from one of my deleted posts. It no longer makes any sense. Whether he ever deletes it or not, hopefully everyone will just disregard it.

When someone asks the question: "is Usain Bolt famous for his speed or face?" I can't tell whether that person is joking or being so incredibly condescending it doesn't deserve a response. Either way that's it for me.

You didn't say anything to be ashamed of.

Azikin

Medalist
That video reminded me how much I miss watching competitions :(
And how adorable Anya is. One of my favorite moments was when she was trying to hold her giant bears' head up, while answering questions in English :biggrin:

Don't even start... I especially miss local Russian competitions... the season when Anna returned from her injury is probably my favourite ever, it's been incredibly emotional.. and yes, she's one one of the most adorable persons I've ever met... :luv17:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Don't even start... I especially miss local Russian competitions... the season when Anna returned from her injury is probably my favourite ever, it's been incredibly emotional.. and yes, she's one one of the most adorable persons I've ever met... :luv17:

I should have been there with you in Bratislava 2018 :(

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Could Finland take it over instead of China like two years ago? Situation there is good.
(Just don't wanna give up so soon :) )

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I wonder if these young athletes get married (and have kids) younger than most because they already have jobs and careers so don't have to wait to "settle down" or anything. Just my thoughts.
I'm happy for Maria and her post was beautiful.

Since these athletes get married usually after they retire from competition, wouldn't the opposite be true because it's a major life change and they now have to figure out their post-sports career (which may involve a period of studying/retraining in a different field)? Of course if they've already planned out their career before retirement (especially if it involves building on their sports experience by becoming coaches/officials), your point makes a lot of sense.

I was also wondering if the relatively early marriage could be due to religion... Many American/West European people cohabit as couples for years (including those in their early twenties) without being legally married. Perhaps cohabitation is frowned upon in the Orthodox church? That doesn't explain why skaters have a lower than average marriage age though. Plus, the population average age of ~25 years (thanks, flanker) is quite normal and comparable to many Western or Asian countries.

PS I wonder if we could split up some of the things discussed in RLT into other threads? It would make it easier to access certain topics of general interest e.g. age of marriage of Russian skaters including men, cancellation of competition events held in China etc. Or even have a separate thread for Russian Ladies News, so it doesn't get buried by prolonged debates (which are inevitable here, but have been rather repetitive in the last few months)?

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Could Finland take it over instead of China like two years ago? Situation there is good.
(Just don't wanna give up so soon :) )

Don't think so. Finland has still very strict traveling rules because of the virus, e.g. people from Sweden are still not allowed to travel to Finland. So far they only allow visitors from countries with very low infection rates. If Finland was to organize a GP event, they would probably not allow e.g. American athletes to come to Finland.

Status
Not open for further replies.