2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Pairs' figure skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Interesting info about Vasilieva! I think someone mentioned a while ago that she was among those who could reasonably expect a GP assignment. Or do I misremember?

You're remembering correctly! :)

She was within the top 24 on the SB list, so she would have had a guaranteed GP spot had her name been submitted for consideration.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
National team is updated above.

Interesting notes:
Vika Vasilieva moved to pairs.
Dmitry Ialin is a memeber of a senior reserve team, but has no partner currently, Polina Kostiukovich is not listed.

:eeking: i didn't see this coming!

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
We all know that Vasilieva had a pretty successful career as a singles skater in juniors, but I don’t know much about her partner? What is his background? Is he a former singles competitor as well, or is has he done pairs before?

Exciting to see this change, I think Vasilieva will also show lots of promise in pairs!

hanca

Record Breaker
We all know that Vasilieva had a pretty successful career as a singles skater in juniors, but I don’t know much about her partner? What is his background? Is he a former singles competitor as well, or is has he done pairs before?

Exciting to see this change, I think Vasilieva will also show lots of promise in pairs!
It seems that she will skate with Volodin. Volodin used to be at JGP with Ustimkina. Then he paired up with Atakhanova, who was often injured and eventually retired. Then he paired up with Sobinina, a girl who has been new to pairs (and quite new to skating generally; but she was an acrobat from a circus school and learned skating including some triples very fast). Unfortunately, after one season she got injured too. Volodin is ageing out of juniors, so it will be not only Vasilieva learning a new discipline, but also their join debut in seniors.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

There were times when ladies who didn't jump well went to pairs. Now the competition in russian ladies is so intensive, that even skaters with good jumping technique (that could be team leaders in many countries) choose pairs where their chances are higher. Though, during the last years we can see that competition in russian pairs is starting to be very intensive as well. Russian ladies and pairs could easily supply two or three other countries with top skaters.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Me neither. She is a good single skater .. and pairs isn't less competitive than ladies ... at least she can do difficult jumps and that can be an advantage

it's also true nobody does difficult jumps in pairs (well, almost nobody), so it would be interesting and game changing if she and her partener could do sbs 3flips or 3lutzs. we know she can do them, what about him?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
it's also true nobody does difficult jumps in pairs (well, almost nobody), so it would be interesting and game changing if she and her partener could do sbs 3flips or 3lutzs. we know she can do them, what about him?

The new young pairs are starting with flips (Pavliuchenko/Khodykin) and lutzes (Mukhametzianova/Mironov), I bet in a few years it will be necessary to do those hard jumps even in pairs.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
The new young pairs are starting with flips (Pavliuchenko/Khodykin) and lutzes (Mukhametzianova/Mironov), I bet in a few years it will be necessary to do those hard jumps even in pairs.

i said almost :biggrin: (i couldn't remember the names)

hanca

Record Breaker
Maybe. A few years back Gainedtinova/Bich did side-by-side triple lutz, and then it disappeared for a long time. Duhamel-Radford had them, then they retired and again no one else... now it is about three or four Russian junior pairs who are landing (more or less successfully) triple lutz or flip (or both), but I don’t think the whole pairs field is ready to start learning those jumps yet. Look how the ladies developed - it was triple axel very occasionally, always only one person (maybe two) in the world at any time. At that time having seven triples FS and being able to do triple-triple was enough to win, so there was no ‘need’ to have 3A or quads. They perhaps ‘wanted’ them, but they didn’t need them. Only when the rest of the field caught up, the majority ladies have triple-triple in the SP and seven triples in the FS, there is the pressure to do harder jumps to beat their competitors. So in pairs, my guess is, while skaters still can get the points by increasing their levels on other elements, they don’t need to risk harder jumps. When far too many pairs have the highest levels on their other elements, the only way to get the edge will be landing harder triples or doing quad throws or twist.

Artemisa

Final Flight

That I think will be the problem .. I can't remember if he was a single skater before pairs ... that would be the ideal because if he was even a moderate skater in man he would have almost all the triples

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
That I think will be the problem .. I can't remember if he was a single skater before pairs ... that would be the ideal because if he was even a moderate skater in man he would have almost all the triples

i guess will see:biggrin:

hanca

Record Breaker
I love the optimism, but I don’t think Volodin can do triple flip or lutz.

icetug

Medalist
Does anybody know what's going on with Polina Kostiukovich right now? While Dmitrii is in the national team as a senior (with no partner, what's quite strange), she's not in any team and it seems she hasn't returned on the ice yet. Hope she doesn't want to retire...

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
While Dmitrii is in the national team as a senior (with no partner, what's quite strange)

That just means official break-up of Kostiukovich / Ialin duo. The same was about Miroshkin after his splitting with Lina Fedorova when he first was on the national team alone.
I don't know anything about Polina at the moment and hope she will find a partner to continue.

hanca

Record Breaker
Does anybody know what's going on with Polina Kostiukovich right now? While Dmitrii is in the national team as a senior (with no partner, what's quite strange), she's not in any team and it seems she hasn't returned on the ice yet. Hope she doesn't want to retire...

It is unfair, but it does happen quite regularly that pair or ice dance males are treated more favourably when there is a split. I guess because there is not that many males in skating so the federation wants to look after them. Last season, after Labazina/Rakhmanin split up, he was included in reserve and she wasn’t. Ivanenko, Karpov and Vakhnov (ice dancers) were also included there, without their ex-partners.

hanca

Record Breaker
That just means official break-up of Kostiukovich / Ialin duo. The same was about Miroshkin after his splitting with Lina Fedorova when he first was on the national team alone.
I don't know anything about Polina at the moment and hope she will find a partner to continue.

On the Russian forum there was a gossip that she was skating with Bushlanov, and then another gossip that she was skating with Briukhanov. Not sure which of them (if any) is true; it could have been just try outs.
Ialin is supposedly skating with Valeria Ponosova (but again, not sure how true it is).

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
On the Russian forum there was a gossip that she was skating with Bushlanov, and then another gossip that she was skating with Briukhanov. Not sure which of them (if any) is true; it could have been just try outs.
Ialin is supposedly skating with Valeria Ponosova (but again, not sure how true it is).

That's why I don't follow any gossips especially abot junior skaters. 24 hours per day would never be enough for that "Santa Barbara". :biggrin:

hanca

Record Breaker
That's why I don't follow any gossips especially abot junior skaters. 24 hours per day would never be enough for that "Santa Barbara". :biggrin:

I do. More often than not they turn to be true. Skating rink is a space where one can’t hide, so whatever happens of the ice, there is always someone who sees it. It may be fellow skaters, skating mums or rink staff, but if one wants to know who skates with whom, those news are usually pretty spot on. The only way why it would not be accurate is if it was a try out and the skaters or their families decided not to continue together. That’s why the news about Polina, Briukhanov and Bushlanov. It is quite possible that she tried with both.

linkintank

Rinkside
Maybe. A few years back Gainedtinova/Bich did side-by-side triple lutz, and then it disappeared for a long time. Duhamel-Radford had them, then they retired and again no one else... now it is about three or four Russian junior pairs who are landing (more or less successfully) triple lutz or flip (or both), but I don’t think the whole pairs field is ready to start learning those jumps yet. Look how the ladies developed - it was triple axel very occasionally, always only one person (maybe two) in the world at any time. At that time having seven triples FS and being able to do triple-triple was enough to win, so there was no ‘need’ to have 3A or quads. They perhaps ‘wanted’ them, but they didn’t need them. Only when the rest of the field caught up, the majority ladies have triple-triple in the SP and seven triples in the FS, there is the pressure to do harder jumps to beat their competitors. So in pairs, my guess is, while skaters still can get the points by increasing their levels on other elements, they don’t need to risk harder jumps. When far too many pairs have the highest levels on their other elements, the only way to get the edge will be landing harder triples or doing quad throws or twist.

I'm pretty sure I have seen Dmitri Kozlovskii do a side by side triple axel with Alexander Petrov. He's done a triple lutz with Boikova in practice. Maybe if he was paired with Kostornaia then they would be doing side by side triple axels. The code right now just doesn't encourage it probably to keep things competitive given the lack of depth outside of the top pairs countries.