2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it would have been funnier, and more appropriate, if they had used video of themselves.

Agreed, and when you say that, I am not thinking of a "real" comp from them either, but a staged program. Johnny still skates, and Tara could just skate around in circles. Wanda Beezle meets made-up commentary.:biggrin:

Using a current competitor in a competition setting was pretty clueless:disapp:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
‘I Want to Inspire Them’ - Amber Glenn Reflects on a Memorable U.S. Championships – and Beyond

Video of Amber's 2020 Nats SP (no commentary) is embedded at the top of the article.

New York Times parenting article featuring Bradie Tennell, sports psychologist Caroline Silby, and ... Kevin Love of the Cleveland Cavaliers:

Rituals Keep These Athletes Grounded. They Can Help Parents, Too.
With stress levels high during the pandemic, every day can feel like overtime. Here’s how to take back control.

By Neha Chaudhary, M.D.
July 6, 2020

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/06/parenting/rituals-pandemic-kids-athletes.html

natsulian

Final Flight
I don’t know if this was already posted but here is the newly updated International Selection Pool:

Starr Andrews (S)
Maxine Marie Bautista (S)
Mariah Bell (S)
Julia Biechler (S)
Alena Budko (J)
Karen Chen (S)
Elsa Cheng (J)
Calista Choi (J)
Ting Cui (S)
Amber Glenn (S)
Gracie Gold (S)
Caitlin Ha (S)
Hanna Harrell (S)
Hannah Herrera (J)
Courtney Hicks (S)
Tamnhi Huynh (J)
Rena Ikenishi (S)
Isabelle Inthisone (J)
Gabriella Izzo (S)
Sarah Jung (J)
Isabeau Levito (J)
Alysa Liu (J)
Paige Rydberg (S)
Audrey Shin (J)
Bradie Tennell (S)
Lindsay Thorngren (J)
Sierra Venetta (S)
Kate Wang (J)
Emily Zhang (S)

Calista Choi, Isabelle Inthisone, and Sarah Jung have all talked about going into Seniors this season. Michelle Lee (J18) represented Canada at the Bavarian Open but she’s part the Team USA Envelope so her situation is murky. Hazel Collier is also in the Envelope but is not listed in the Internarional Selection Pool.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Michelle Lee (J18) represented Canada at the Bavarian Open but she’s part the Team USA Envelope so her situation is murky. ...

I believe that you have conflated two different skaters who both have the name of "Michelle Lee."

- The "Michelle Lee" who competed at 2020 U.S. Nats is age 15.
(Per her mini-bio on p. 50 of the Greensboro program.)

- Whereas Skate Canada's "Michelle Lee" was listed as age 12 at the time of 2020 Bavarian Open.​

... Hazel Collier is also in the Envelope but is not listed in the Internarional Selection Pool.

BTW, I enjoyed the Insta Live interview that Jimmy Morgan conducted with Hazel Collier not long ago. It is archived on Skating Club of Boston's account:

macy

Record Breaker
thats great Gracie is in the ISP.

i also hope Ting and Hanna stay healthy and have a great season, if there is one. what bad luck.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
i also hope Ting and Hanna stay healthy and have a great season, if there is one. what bad luck.

I really really hope the time off gave them both time to heal properly, that they otherwise may have not taken for themselves.

macy

Record Breaker
Mods, please forgive me if this is against the rules but I figured the best place to share this to spread the word would be here. The Detroit Skating Club has expressed with the unforseen circumstances of the pandemic, they are struggling to stay afloat and are asking for help to keep operations running. Here is their instagram post.

So sad to see...if a club the size of DSC is struggling, I can't imagine all the others doing much worse...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCmW6TjJA-A/?igshid=1263jai7vo80g

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's going to be tough for a lot of rinks. They occupy a lot of real estate (~20,000 s/f for the ice surface alone), have high costs (keeping ~20,000 s/f of ice frozen, among many other expenses), and can't make money by packing the rink with recreational skaters during this summer break.

beepboop

On the Ice
currently watching TSL's analysis of alysa's coaching change. it's from late june but raises a lot of interesting points that i haven't seen discussed here yet!

interesting nuggets i noticed:
1. arthur (alysa's dad) asked frank carroll to sit in the kiss and cry with alysa at 2019 nats. frank said no, didn't want to take credit for what he saw as another coach/other coaches' work.
2. laura lipetsky did not leave the team voluntarily, she was fired. the decision was made by MASSIMO SCALI (along with arthur)?!
3. during some or perhaps all of quarantine, alysa was skating at the patriot center in DE, and working with another coach (not massimo or laura). this is probably true of most if not all top US skaters, as USFS was apparently renting out multiple private rinks for them to train at.
4. the move to lee barkell was largely orchestrated by lori nichol.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t know if this was already posted but here is the newly updated International Selection Pool:

Starr Andrews (S)
Maxine Marie Bautista (S)
Mariah Bell (S)
Julia Biechler (S)
Alena Budko (J)
Karen Chen (S)
Elsa Cheng (J)
Calista Choi (J)
Ting Cui (S)
Amber Glenn (S)
Gracie Gold (S)
Caitlin Ha (S)
Hanna Harrell (S)
Hannah Herrera (J)
Courtney Hicks (S)
Tamnhi Huynh (J)
Rena Ikenishi (S)
Isabelle Inthisone (J)
Gabriella Izzo (S)
Sarah Jung (J)
Isabeau Levito (J)
Alysa Liu (J)
Paige Rydberg (S)
Audrey Shin (J)
Bradie Tennell (S)
Lindsay Thorngren (J)
Sierra Venetta (S)
Kate Wang (J)
Emily Zhang (S)

Calista Choi, Isabelle Inthisone, and Sarah Jung have all talked about going into Seniors this season. Michelle Lee (J18) represented Canada at the Bavarian Open but she’s part the Team USA Envelope so her situation is murky. Hazel Collier is also in the Envelope but is not listed in the Internarional Selection Pool.

Yes! My Gracie is on the list!!!!:love:

sparklestan

On the Ice
currently watching TSL's analysis of alysa's coaching change. it's from late june but raises a lot of interesting points that i haven't seen discussed here yet!

interesting nuggets i noticed:
1. arthur (alysa's dad) asked frank carroll to sit in the kiss and cry with alysa at 2019 nats. frank said no, didn't want to take credit for what he saw as another coach/other coaches' work.
2. laura lipetsky did not leave the team voluntarily, she was fired. the decision was made by MASSIMO SCALI (along with arthur)?!
3. during some or perhaps all of quarantine, alysa was skating at the patriot center in DE, and working with another coach (not massimo or laura). this is probably true of most if not all top US skaters, as USFS was apparently renting out multiple private rinks for them to train at.
4. the move to lee barkell was largely orchestrated by lori nichol.
I watched it too and also found it very interesting! However, I’m not sure how much is actually true and how much is based on gossip...but lots to think about nevertheless.

frida80

Record Breaker
Gia Kokotakis just posted a very insightful post on Instagram about how skating culture promote Eating Disorders. Since Gracie and a lot of other skaters have been dealing with ED in the background, I thought this was important to share.

https://instagram.com/p/CDDFnS4Jd7i/