2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2020-21 US Women's Figure Skating

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Gia Kokotakis just posted a very insightful post on Instagram about how skating culture promote Eating Disorders. Since Gracie and a lot of other skaters have been dealing with ED in the background, I thought this was important to share.

https://instagram.com/p/CDDFnS4Jd7i/

This should be shared in multiple forums, as it affects skaters throughout the world. A very informative video, thanks for sharing!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
On Ice Perspectives video of Starr Andrews skating her new program to "Black Like Me":

Choreo by Derrick Delmore.

Again, Jordan Cowan shot this video, and published it just today.
(In other words, it is not Starr's competition video for Peggy Fleming Trophy, although she skated this program for PFT.)

Jordan's version is viewable also on OIP's IGTV:

ETA:

Jordan also shot yet a different video of the program, which is on the Andrews family's own channel:

In this other version by Jordan, Starr is in costume.
Plus she makes brief introductory remarks, including her thanks to Mickey Guyton, the singer of "Black Like Me" -- who in turn tweeted a reply with thanks and admiration for Starr.

BTW, before PFT, Starr tweeted video of herself singing (and playing) some of "Black Like Me":

Unrelated to OIP:

Video snippet of new SP for Mia Eckels (who competed in Junior Ladies at 2020 Nats, coached by Kimmie Meissner):

Music: Tiny Dancer.
Choreo by Colin McManus.​

ETA (on Aug 9):
This link now is the correct one for Mia.
Apologies that I originally had posted the wrong link. Thanks to concorde for letting me know about my error.​

Happy Birthday to Peggy Fleming. :hb:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Really really interested to know about the training situations of the ladies on the ISP list. I think many are back to training? I mean, maybe they’re keeping things private and that’s why I can’t find any updates on social media about music selections or new jump content. But I am just dying to know the programs for Amber and Hanna Harrell (something upbeat and powerful?) and if Bradie and Gabriella can up their level of performance/expression.

haribobo

On the Ice
From this page- https://anythinggoe.com/2020-21-skating-program-details/

Hanna Harrell (USA) – Carmen’s Story/Tanguera (Short) Choreo: Misha Ge, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (Free) Choreo: Misha Ge

Starr Andrews (USA) – Birds of Prey soundtrack (It’s A Man’s Man’s Man’s World/Joke’s On You) (Short)

Amber Glenn (USA) – Scars - not Papa Roach (Short) Choreo: Cordero Zuckerman, Rain In Your Black Eyes (Remake) (Free) Choreo: Misha Ge

Karen Chen (USA) – Rise- Katy Perry (Short) Choreo: Drew Meekins,

Jessica Lin (USA) – Slow Dance in the Big City (Free) Choreo: Misha Ge

Ting Cui (USA) – This Bitter Earth (Short), Nocturnal Animals soundtrack (Free)

Courtney Hicks (USA) – Sorry- Halsey (Short) Choreo: Jordan Moeller

zounger

Medalist
Hanna Harrell (USA) – Carmen’s Story/Tanguera (Short) Choreo: Misha Ge, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (Free) Choreo: Misha Ge

I would expect a different choreographer for Hanna but let's see what Ge can do for her. Are there any parts yet, videos?

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I would expect a different choreographer for Hanna but let's see what Ge can do for her. Are there any parts yet, videos?

These are her programs from last season..she only performed them a couple of times tho.

zounger

Medalist
These are her programs from last season..she only performed them a couple of times tho.

Yes, but since it's the first senior season I though a change would be nice. But maybe you right there will be no normal season anyway.

On Ice Perspectives video of Starr Andrews skating her new program to "Black Like Me":

I wonder if either Starr or the singer and songwriter, Mickey Guyton, are familiar with the once famous book "Black Like Me" by John Howard Griffin (1961).

Griffin was a white journalist and writer from Texas. In 1959 he conceived of a plan to inject himself with drugs that would make his skin turn dark, then to travel about in Mississippi posing as a black man to investigate race relations in the South in those days, at the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement of that era. His articles and eventual book had considerable influence for a short time in publicizing the Movement to northern white people.

When Griffin returned home to Texas, he found himself unwelcome and had to move his family to Mexico for their safety. Later he was badly beaten by the Ku Klux Klan, but survived.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder if either Starr or the singer and songwriter, Mickey Guyton, are familiar with the once famous book "Black Like Me" by John Howard Griffin (1961).

Griffin was a white journalist and writer from Texas. In 1959 he conceived of a plan to inject himself with drugs that would make his skin turn dark, then to travel about in Mississippi posing as a black man to investigate race relations in the South in those days, at the beginning of the Civil Rights Movement of that era. His articles and eventual book had considerable influence for a short time in publicizing the Movement to northern white people.

When Griffin returned home to Texas, he found himself unwelcome and had to move his family to Mexico for their safety. Later he was badly beaten by the Ku Klux Klan, but survived.

I asked myself the same question, first thinking of the book when I heard a program was planned to "Black Like Me", and the answer, at least for the singer, is yes::yes:

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-ent...onal-with-the-emotional-ballad-black-like-me/

"Guyton titled the song after 1961′s Black Like Me, a book she read in college that was written by John Howard Griffin, a white journalist who darkened his skin to document racism in the segregated South."

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I asked myself the same question, first thinking of the book when I heard a program was planned to "Black Like Me", and the answer, at least for the singer, is yes::yes:

https://www.dallasnews.com/arts-ent...onal-with-the-emotional-ballad-black-like-me/

"Guyton titled the song after 1961′s Black Like Me, a book she read in college that was written by John Howard Griffin, a white journalist who darkened his skin to document racism in the segregated South."

For some more info about John Howard Griffin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Howard_Griffin.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wrong link to Mia. That is to Starr.

Correct link:

Video snippet of new SP for Mia Eckels (who competed in Junior Ladies at 2020 Nats, coached by Kimmie Meissner):

Music: Tiny Dancer.
Choreo by Colin McManus.​

Thanks to concorde :thank: for letting me know about the wrong link :hopelessness:, which I will delete from my previous post.
Apologies to all concerned.

New interview: Women in Athletics- Amber Glenn

Topics include body positivity, mental health, eating disorder like behavior, and finding what is right for your own body.

https://youtu.be/huGF5Pvk8fw (42:16, posted Aug 8)​

Women in Athletics is the name of a new series of interviews conducted by Ellie Pogrebinsky, former Team USA ice dancer.

At the beginning, Ellie and Amber discuss the importance of Amber's mindset as she has worked on the triple axel, which she recently has been landing consistently in practice. (She hopes to land it in competition too.)

(I look forward to watching the whole interview ... so far I have seen only the first twelve minutes or so. Very interesting stuff.)

macy

Record Breaker
anyone heard any news on how things are going between Alysa and her new coaching team? excited to see her new programs.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
anyone heard any news on how things are going between Alysa and her new coaching team? excited to see her new programs.
No. Alysa has been very quiet on social media and I haven't seen any news about her the past few months.