Guillaume Cizeron interview on coming out | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Guillaume Cizeron interview on coming out

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I always just assumed he was gay because you can just tell. I find it a bit comedic that others thought he was straight to begin with.

:rolleye: Because playing to stereotypes is a great way to show your support.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
:rolleye: Because playing to stereotypes is a great way to show your support.

Oh God. Are people not even allowed to note anything obvious now? He even says he didn't even consider himself to be in the closet.

It's not even a stereotype if you actually follow skating. He even notes there aren't as many gays in skating as clichés suggest lol.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Oh God. Are people not even allowed to note anything obvious now? He even says he didn't even consider himself to be in the closet.

It's not even a stereotype if you actually follow skating. He even notes there aren't as many gays in skating as clichés suggest lol.

It is a stereotype to say, "You can just tell" as though certain mannerisms, ways of speaking, etc. automatically mean that a person is gay.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
It is a stereotype to say, "You can just tell" as though certain mannerisms, ways of speaking, etc. automatically mean that a person is gay.
Literally Cizeron didn't even consider himself to be in the closet. Some stereotypes *are* based in reality. He *is* gay and it was obvious, because it doesn't even seem like be tried to hide it with his audience! What favour was anyone doing him by not noting it? Or is it some incredible favour for a gay man to assume he's straight? Or should we all be "oh he behaves... Well not "gaily", but not straightly" except then "not straightly" gets complaints that maybe people should stop assuming people are straight! lmao! And how do you think gay men can tell someone else is gay? Or do you think they just can't tell unless they walk up to each other and outright ask?

Honestly, while IDK about Cizeron, why should I not note someone's obviously gay based off their mannerisms? When they don't even try to hide it? It can easily be a source of the their pride, their unabashed take on their existence, that they just don't care if they're stereotypical or not. There isn't a logic. There isn't any consistency. There isn't a reality, because people would rather talk about "how it made them feel bad" and virtue signal at each other.

Anyway, I don't agree. And I wish people would just stop policing language like even this tiny thing- not even anything malicious, because the person didn't even say that it was something bad- because it just does more harm than good. It creates this overly sensitive image of these communities, and it is not needed, because that hardly bolsters acceptance. And I wish the loudest perpetrators would either stop or leave.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
How about this for a reason: In some countries being gay can result in imprisonment, loss of employment, harassment and even death.

It is not our place to speculate or deem the mannerisms of others as "gay". I long for a world where people do not feel the need to hide their sexual preference (as long as it is between consenting adults) and that we all do a better job of not judging others.

Sexual preference is not about mannerisms. It is about who you are sexually attracted to. There are plenty of men who have "gay" mannerisms who are straight and plenty of gay men (and women) who have no stereotypical mannerisms. When we pigeonhole people by certain mannerisms (the way they walk, the way they dress, the way they speak) we are forcing humanity into these tight little roles. when I was growing up if a man wore pink he was gay. If a man had an earring he was gay. None of those things made them gay.

This thread is about Cizeron coming out. Not about our opinions on what makes a person gay or straight.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
This thread is about Cizeron coming out.

Awesome! Then we can move on from whether noting "stereotypes" is "supportive" or not. Or how "malicious" it is for someone to say "it took him long enough".

How about this for a reason: In some countries being gay can result in imprisonment, loss of employment, harassment and even death.

It is not our place to speculate or deem the mannerisms of others as "gay". I long for a world where people do not feel the need to hide their sexual preference (as long as it is between consenting adults) and that we all do a better job of not judging others.

I agree with zero of this. No one "deemed" anyone anything instead of noting the obvious, but if you really think people can't tell -even if they're open about it- then you're just wrong. People in this thread knew. Nor is "some countries are awful towards lgbt and therefore we better not even note obvious things!" any sort of argument. It is only when people use this against gay people does it become a problem. Nor is your silence about obvious things while sitting in Canada helping anyone in Iran. Nor is it going to stop the ever growing presence of gay culture in media and make people pick out things in others - whether correctly or not - and then they will be treated badly anyway for those things, as if it's not already happened and still happening - don't see why everyone shutting up would help. I do not know when these attempts to force some global cultural standard developed - but they can stop soon. I won't miss them. If people want to be supportive, they can listen to multiple perspectives, instead being so "oh you gotta be nice, but not this idea though! This idea doesn't fit our standards of niceness, so we'll tell you to shut up".

Literally my takeaway from this interview and his letter was that he just lives his life his own way, and while it was bad once, it just doesn't matter. That it will be open to public scrutiny but you have to live. Let it be apparent, who really cares. Gay men aren't babies nor do they want to be. But apparently everyone NEEDS to shut up - even the benevolent ones - because otherwise you're not "supportive".

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Glad you agree that the topic of this thread is Cizeron and not the stereotypical mannerisms of LGBT people.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

:clap:

Jumping off, and not directed at you, I remember all the people who said, oh, what's the big deal, I always *knew* when Adam officially came out.

Well, believe it or not, it's not about *you*. LOL, to coin a phrase. ;)

Bravo to all the skaters who come out and who say I am ready to tell my truth, not just to friends and family, but to the public so the maybe some skating kid in the US, Canada, or France, says" I am not alone."

And trafficking in stereotypes will never do that :noshake:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I commend him for this article. People may have known that he was gay but, if he was anything like me when I was in school, I felt like I was the only one. School was like torture and I was teased constantly for being a dancer. I never knew which skaters were gay back then and there was no internet to learn of a skaters personal feelings. I can tell you that this would have meant a lot to me when I was a young teen. Bravo!

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
It's been an open secret for several years that Guillaume is gay, but it's nice to see him feel comfortable to now talk about it officially. :) :thumbsup:

Warwick360

Medalist
I was reading an article on an actor, where the comment sections seemed to be speculating of his sexuality, and commenters were commenting how he should just come out and state the obvious. Which is ironic since just weeks back, someone did come out and the commenters were up in arms how it should be nobodies' business besides his or her own.

It feels the same when reading some of the threads here.

Personally, I'm glad he felt he could be who he is, that too with the confidence that he presents, and hopefully we'll see a day when we don't see people being judged for who they fall in love with, regardless of their gender or their sexuality.

fallingsk8er

On the Ice
I'm gay....and once I came out, I had very little interest in what other people thought of it....coming out was for me, not for them. Cizeron may have felt the same.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Well, I hope he and his boyfriend are very happy together. That's my main takeaway from this: being happy for him that he found someone he loves. :)

The whole thing "coming out" thing sounds like a lot of needless pressure. So I also hope that it will be a relic of a bygone era someday, and people will know others' sexual orientations by just seeing them drool over hotties of their preferred gender(s). ;)

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Not to cross 2 threads into one, but I hope the people who keep saying 'it took him too long' are at least getting some perspective on how difficult it is to be open from the whole situation with Yagudin and Rippon that is unfolding at the moment.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
the most surprising is the 2-300 people that stopped following him.. I always just assumed he was gay because you can just tell.
Yep. Usually it's plain as day, in which case this coming out thing isn't even necessary, really. Just about all such reveals thus far have been "okay, well I'd have been a lot more surprised if the opposite was true".

By the way, I got to say that with all the attention this is garnering, I can definitely understand why people would be reluctant to come out. Even if they're not afraid of potential discrimination, prejudice and whatnot, it must be difficult for some people to accept that there'll be dozens of articles written on the topic, interviews etc. etc. and that sort of publicity just isn't for everyone. Personally, I'd wish that people could just not make such a big deal out of one's preferences one way or another.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Guillaume whether gay, straight bi or whatever is a very fine ice dance. For some reason I thought he was always out of the closet and all knew he was gay. I admit I did not find he had the romantic vibe with Gabby but still always a wonderful skater. It may be of interest to some but I think he seems like a fun, interesting person regardless of sexual orientation a great ice dancer. I have admitted that I found often virtue and moir were better but I always thought him and Gabby were a fine team. I just hope people respect him as a person and a skater.