2020-21 U.S. Ice Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2020-21 U.S. Ice Dance

heartyxo

On the Ice
It's always a struggle with such a deep pool like US ice dance- it's amazing considering how far it's come, but it is obviously frustrating for the ones who are waiting for their chance. I do believe that it will come for numerous younger US teams next quad, especially C/P and G/P if they both stay together, but then I also think they wouldn't be ready right now.

If H/D and C/B weren't still here I don't know if the US would still have 3 spots at worlds in dance, considering how deep the field is. It's not like they're too old as most other top ice dancers are a similar age. I can't blame them for continuing after how Pyeongchang went. They've both done so much for US ice dance and they both deserve another Olympic chance (please use both in the team event!)

Next quad will be different- every 4 years there is a complete reset and I could see most of the world's current top teams retiring after Beijing. That'll be the youngsters' time to rise and shine.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Next quad will be different- every 4 years there is a complete reset and I could see most of the world's current top teams retiring after Beijing. That'll be the youngsters' time to rise and shine.

I feel like the field post 2022 will be massively different - maybe more of a 2010 level of ID retirement compared to 2018

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I feel like the field post 2022 will be massively different - maybe more of a 2010 level of ID retirement compared to 2018

It's of course hard to completely tell, but we're on track for a European resurgence with fewer top North American teams. USFS has taken a very active role in developing pairs in the last quad or so. I hope they don't take their current status in ice dance for granted. Keeping 2-3 spots at Worlds after Beijing will be more of a fight than it has been and will require investment.

I also wonder if the Montreal camp will continue to play an outsized role in US Ice Dance when H/D and C/B decide to step away.

heartyxo

On the Ice

Me too. The only ones I'm torn on are Papadakis/Cizeron and Stepanova/Bukin- I think the rest of the current top 7 will retire.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
I'm convinced P/C will retire. I think S/K will stay in. Especially if they havent won worlds/GP final. As superficial as it is vika is eligible for the super slam. Plus she is only 25 right now

heartyxo

On the Ice
It's of course hard to completely tell, but we're on track for a European resurgence with fewer top North American teams. USFS has taken a very active role in developing pairs in the last quad or so. I hope they don't take their current status in ice dance for granted. Keeping 2-3 spots at Worlds after Beijing will be more of a fight than it has been and will require investment.

I also wonder if the Montreal camp will continue to play an outsized role in US Ice Dance when H/D and C/B decide to step away.

I could see some of the younger NA teams rising to the top after 2022- C/P and G/P if they stick it out, maybe Lajoie and Lagha too. But then there are lots of young European teams who could too if everyone retires (although I could MAYBE see P/C and S/B continuing), especially in Russia where it is also very deep. It'll be interesting next quad.

If H/B stay in Montreal and decide to continue then they'll still have some sort of role and maybe other US teams will go there when there's only 1 US team left there. While I don't know if Gadbois will be as dominant next quad, there are many teams there who I can definitely see going after 2022.

heartyxo

On the Ice
I'm convinced P/C will retire. I think S/K will stay in. Especially if they havent won worlds/GP final. As superficial as it is vika is eligible for the super slam. Plus she is only 25 right now

I thought P/C would retire too but I heard that Romain H said they were going to continue? If they win Beijing I could see them retiring but they are still the youngest of the top tier. I think S/K will retire mainly due to his age- he'll be 30? in Beijing and I'm not sure if he'd compete until he was in his mid-thirties. Not that he should retire because of that, I hate it when people try to force retirement due to age.

Kelti

Rinkside
I just found out about the split of Avonley and Vadym😢 I really enjoyed their peorfmance at junior worlds and have imagined a bright future for them, this is so sad. All the best to Avonley in finding a new partner. Although the current situation must have made it extra difficult for tryouts.

larat

On the Ice
Vadim said he would continue skating and is looking for a new partner possibly outside of US

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vadim said he would continue skating and is looking for a new partner possibly outside of US

Do you have a link to that statement? I would like to see it, as his IG post was very vague and non-committal.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Just to clarify, he said he might be looking outside of the U.S.

My top choice for him would still be Emmy Bronsard - in part because I think that they are both the talent and stars in their current teams but also because chances are she will outgrow her partner, and so it wouldn't be the same league of ending a good partnership (if that makes sense?)

theblade

On the Ice
Re: Jeffrey. Yes, his current partner is excellent. So were his previous two partners. All three ladies have that in common.

Re: Vadym. Very encouraging that he is planning to stay in the sport. From this split will perhaps emerge two exciting teams pushing themselves and the sport forward.

theblade

On the Ice
Hm. Don't know what's happening with Irina Galiyanova. Did compete for Canada but does have Russian citizenship. Probably can't easily train in the U.S. (in the future) and her IPS notice doesn't indicate relocation is a possibility. Her age and height and experience would be in range for Vadym. It's the external factors that probably wouldn't be a match (funding, training) unless major changes happened to make that possible.

happycamper2554

On the Ice
I thought P/C would retire too but I heard that Romain H said they were going to continue? If they win Beijing I could see them retiring but they are still the youngest of the top tier. I think S/K will retire mainly due to his age- he'll be 30? in Beijing and I'm not sure if he'd compete until he was in his mid-thirties. Not that he should retire because of that, I hate it when people try to force retirement due to age.

I think he's chasing that Olympic goal and if he thinks he can get it they'll stay

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Hm. Don't know what's happening with Irina Galiyanova. Did compete for Canada but does have Russian citizenship. Probably can't easily train in the U.S. (in the future) and her IPS notice doesn't indicate relocation is a possibility. Her age and height and experience would be in range for Vadym. It's the external factors that probably wouldn't be a match (funding, training) unless major changes happened to make that possible.

She is the niece of Juris Razgulajevs I believe so she definitely won't be wanting to switch coaches