2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Japanese Ladies' Figure Skating

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
So Rika is in Switzerland. Is it a summer camp?

She looks like she's having a great time as well besides the training. I have to commend her parents or her on the decision to go there.

I just love all the photos and videos. Seems like she's working hard but there's something quite relaxed about the atmosphere which I think is great for her.

readernick

Medalist
So Rika is in Switzerland. Is it a summer camp?

She looks like she's having a great time as well besides the training. I have to commend her parents or her on the decision to go there.

I just love all the photos and videos. Seems like she's working hard but there's something quite relaxed about the atmosphere which I think is great for her.

I think the camp is over. I wonder where she will go now? I-think she will still find it difficult to get a Canadian Visa. Will she head back to Japan or stay in Switzerland? I like Lambiel but I am not sure he is the best coach to help her with improving the consistency of her 4S.

lzxnl

Final Flight
I think the camp is over. I wonder where she will go now? I-think she will still find it difficult to get a Canadian Visa. Will she head back to Japan or stay in Switzerland? I like Lambiel but I am not sure he is the best coach to help her with improving the consistency of her 4S.

Not just her 4S, she needs that 4T too for the Olympics. Lambiel isn't noted for getting quads out of his students from my knowledge.

gotoschool

Medalist
What are the chances that Japan and South Korea could potentially coordinate competition(s) with their skaters all returning back home in preparation for Nationals and regional competitions- maybe a Grand Prix event this fall and / or a mini 4CC's in the spring or maybe this has already been mentioned? I think one or even both of these potential competitions is far more likely than untangling the intricate web of restrictions that would be the labyrinth of Worlds, but of course the ISU hierarchy would also have to propose it or have it be proposed to them and they along with the government authorities in charge would have go along with it whether international or national.

readernick

Medalist
What are the chances that Japan and South Korea could potentially coordinate competition(s) with their skaters all returning back home in preparation for Nationals and regional competitions- maybe a Grand Prix event this fall and / or a mini 4CC's in the spring or maybe this has already been mentioned? I think one or even both of these potential competitions is far more likely than untangling the intricate web of restrictions that would be the labyrinth of Worlds, but of course the ISU hierarchy would also have to propose it or have it be proposed to them and they along with the government authorities in charge would have go along with it whether international or national.

I don't think Japan and South Korea are known for their willingness to coordinate due to historic figure skating rivalries and issues that arise from their past history. I also think most South Korean figure skaters train in North America. so it wouldn't be practical for them to return home for such a competition. But, I might be wrong. I hope I am wrong. I want any competition that can happen safely to occur. I miss figure skating.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker

Didn't Koshiro learn a 4S and 4T from Lambiel?

readernick

Medalist
Didn't Koshiro learn a 4S and 4T from Lambiel?

I don't think we can call either of those jumps stable.Rika can already do both jumps but she needs to stabilize them. I get the impression that she likes working with Ghislaine Briand, but I think she is going to struggle to get into Canada.

gotoschool

Medalist
I don't think Japan and South Korea are known for their willingness to coordinate due to historic figure skating rivalries and issues that arise from their past history. I also think most South Korean figure skaters train in North America. so it wouldn't be practical for them to return home for such a competition. But, I might be wrong. I hope I am wrong. I want any competition that can happen safely to occur. I miss figure skating.

I understand your reservations, but I was thinking of the idea in terms of practical logistics for Japan and South Korea especially since they have roughly the same reported level of condition in the current situation. Furthermore, there is a mutual benefit to each country in terms of the draw of skaters, since as for me at least a majority of my favorite women skaters are from Japan and South Korea, so a lot of fans may be interested in extending the domestic competitions to a two nation competition. In terms of relations between countries, it may be relatively minor but Hamada is coaching both Rika Kihira and Young You and I have seen some warm reception for these skaters by spectators from the different nations, but I am very aware of the old conflicts that exist but don't have any idea of the prevailing sentiment as it pertains to skating. Beyond this in terms of the future, I think some people look at what is happening now as an extraordinary and singular situation that won't happen again while others view it as a new paradigm with an according need to adapt to the regulations imposed if they don't or won't change.

Beyond the possibility of a two nation Grand Prix this season, putting all the eggs in the basket of everything magically returning to normal after New Years, in the era that has already been dubbed the new normal by so many government officials, may result in cancelled 4CC's and Worlds again. However, with foresight, and mutual interest as a guide, a compromise competition may be something that could at least be planned in the event that travel restrictions aren't lifted with the new year for all federations. Another problem if 4CC's or Worlds goes full on international would be if even one major federation ends up being banned and since this is based on extraneous government regulations, there would be no way to plan for it which would undermine the competitions credibility if important participants were unable to take part. Athletes performances are already likely to suffer from the two week quarantine.

I confess a selfish interest in the competition because of my high level of interest in the competitors and because in my view it would also be more likely to level the fairness of the scoring playing field as more limited international competitions would likely do elsewhere. So even though it would be better to have a full field of international skaters, in practical terms a two nation competition between Japan and South Korea may be a pre-emptive move to save some semblance of international competition at least for this season and a groundwork for insuring more feasible competitions not as liable in the future to the pervasive precedent for travel restrictions that has already been set.

readernick

Medalist
It would be wonderful for the SK skaters, if they could compete somewhere.. right now they are left out of competitions since SK doesn’t have a GP ( likely SKs fault as their FS organization is “interesting” to say the least but not fair to its skaters) While personally not a fan of Young You’s skating( also I believe Young You is in America and will likely go to Skate America), I would love to see Haein Lee ( one of my favs who does train in SK) compete. In addition to the above problems though, the Korean FS organization is not known for their logic or organizational ability. It would definitely have to be the Japanese federation who took on this project. Maybe you can write to them and suggest it? We would all love to see more skating and be eternally grateful if your request was granted. :pray:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
If Rika gets in Canada i guess the fields will be that:
SC: Rika and Satoko
SA: None. Marin is in Japan. And i don't think she will want to return in America.
GP France: None.
NHK: Wakaba, Kaori, Tomoe, Yuhana, Marin.
CoP: None.
CoR: None.
That will be a packed NHK. JSF doesn't seem to want its athletes to travel for competitions.

gotoschool

Medalist
If Rika gets in Canada i guess the fields will be that:
SC: Rika and Satoko
SA: None. Marin is in Japan. And i don't think she will want to return in America.
GP France: None.
NHK: Wakaba, Kaori, Tomoe, Yuhana, Marin.
CoP: None.
CoR: None.
That will be a packed NHK. JSF doesn't seem to want its athletes to travel for competitions.

Is this based on where everyone is now except Rika? I thought Rika would most likely be in the GP of France since she is in Switzerland now especially since the border for Canada appears to be completely closed to foreign travelers, at least that is what I found on a map, but France isn't. Plus, Switzerland is an EU country so it may be easier to get in, so maybe fewer restrictions on entry with less travel to boot.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Is this based on where everyone is now except Rika? I thought Rika would most likely be in the GP of France since she is in Switzerland now especially since the border for Canada appears to be completely closed to foreign travelers, at least that is what I found on a map, but France isn't. Plus, Switzerland is an EU country so it may be easier to get in, so maybe fewer restrictions on entry with less travel to boot.

Yes.

I think Rika has left Switzerland. Her latests SM posts looked like a goodbye. Lambiel is nice but staying with him for at least 3 months isn't a good idea for her jumps.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
^ I wonder what JFed has in store for Rika. She should be at NHK as the national champion, but the field in Canada could be easier for her, especially if Medvedeva finds herself unable to return to Canada.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Even with Medvedeva, Rika would still be the favorite. Anyway, JSF doesn't strategize.

icetug

Medalist
Yes.

I think Rika has left Switzerland. Her latests SM posts looked like a goodbye. Lambiel is nice but staying with him for at least 3 months isn't a good idea for her jumps.

These photos are taken today, so Rika is still in Champery: https://twitter.com/Julia29328091/status/1292445326968786944
As to her jumps: Lambiel's jumping technique is so sustainable that he can jump quads till now. His coach, Peter Grutter, is available for Champery students on a regular basis. Just in case you don't believe Lambiel himself can teach any jump ;)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
These photos are taken today, so Rika is still in Champery: https://twitter.com/Julia29328091/status/1292445326968786944
As to her jumps: Lambiel's jumping technique is so sustainable that he can jump quads till now. His coach, Peter Grutter, is available for Champery students on a regular basis. Just in case you don't believe Lambiel himself can teach any jump ;)
My bad. I thought she had left.

Lambiel can still land a 4T but Deniss Vasiljevs can barely land a quad (did he even landed a single clean one in competition?). Koshiro doesn't have the best jump consistency.
He obviously can teach jumps but he has yet to get his students land them consistently in competitions.

readernick

Medalist

No disrespect to Lambiel who seems like a warm and effective coach, and if that environment and training style works for her than she should stay. I just think that Rika needs a more competitive environment (higher level skaters-technically Shoma is working with him but Shoma is in Japan )and a more specialized coaching team. I read an article (through google translate because it was in Japanese ) that suggested that Rika’s mom and Mie Hamada had a bit of a falling out. If true, “adding” a new coach might really mean that Rika is changing her training base. I do think Brian’s coaching team has been shown to take great skaters and make them incredible.

gotoschool

Medalist
No disrespect to Lambiel who seems like a warm and effective coach, and if that environment and training style works for her than she should stay. I just think that Rika needs a more competitive environment (higher level skaters-technically Shoma is working with him but Shoma is in Japan )and a more specialized coaching team. I read an article (through google translate because it was in Japanese ) that suggested that Rika’s mom and Mie Hamada had a bit of a falling out. If true, “adding” a new coach might really mean that Rika is changing her training base. I do think Brian’s coaching team has been shown to take great skaters and make them incredible.

In an ideal situation I think it would be obvious that Rika would benefit from going to train with Brian Orser in Canada, But one example of Brian Orser's ambivalence is found in the recent comment he made posted in a yahoo sports article suggesting that while he says he would like to get his students back and they need to come back, he also stated that facing a double quarantine is not in anyone's best interest. Currently, Canada has a travel ban until at least August 21 and a required 14 day quarantine. Apparently, Orser is in the process of deciding about each of his students on on an individual basis and doing video conferences with skaters like Evgenia and suggested the JSF may want Hanyu to do the Grand Prix locally. Of course, Rika would also face a double quarantine if she were able to get into Canada though she will likely have to face at least one in Japan anyway.

I wonder how detrimental to training it will be to face extra 14 day quarantines along with the jet lag and the stress of stricter requirements on flying such as extended periods of time wearing a mask with less oxygen for instance. Do some skaters have conditions like claustrophobia or phobia of extended confinement that will affect their mental well being or physical conditioning more adversely because of repeated quarantines? I think one way coaches can express kindness to skaters would be to give skaters the option to have as few quarantines as possible in an already stressful worldwide situation whatever one's views of it is, with video conferences as an option. Hopefully, the decision would be made in consultation and with the strong guidance of the coaching team in a heart to heart talk allowing skaters like Rika and others to open up about their true feelings, and not the JSF primarily deciding considering their dubious track record in the past with skaters like Mao and Akiko for instance.
https://sports.yahoo.com/brian-orser-reveals-hanyu-medvedeva-120430646.html

icetug

Medalist
Deniss Vasiljevs can barely land a quad. Koshiro doesn't have the best jump consistency.

Deniss' triples are high and long enough to be quads so his main problem is a speed of rotation which is very difficult to improve. Guess the same problem has Jason Brown who's been coached in TCC for two years now and jumped one 4T during this period, ur iirc. Koshiro's been grown some 20cm in last 3 years so it's difficult to judge on his jump consistency.

I just think that Rika needs a more competitive environment
Alexia Paganini is now the best non-Russian European lady so Rika can't find more competetive environment ;). Anyway, she grew up and stayed one of the most powerful lady skaters training alongside Satoko Miyahara whose jump technique isn't very strong...

Sure, TCC is the best option for Rika as they have the most experienced coaches - and they are the best team in the world. Hope she gets visa and is able to train alongside Yuzuru and Evgenia as soon as possible. Right now the best skater in TCC is (still quadless) Jason - and, among ladies, Alison Schumacher (if she really switched to TCC, if not - Amelia Orzel).

readernick

Medalist
Alexia is a great skater, but not someone who is going to push Rika to do more since Rika is (imho) superior both technically and artistically right now. However, Rika seems happy in her pictures and based on the videos she has been posting of her jumps both before and after going to Switzerland, her jumps aren't suffering. So even if it isn't the best training environment long-term, it might be a great place for her to stay now. The 3F3lo she posted yesterday was lovely. She really does seem intent on preparing all the possible combinations she will need after adding two quads to her program.