Celebrating Black Excellence in Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Celebrating Black Excellence in Figure Skating

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Representing her native country of Norway, Louisa Warwin won a bronze medal at her very first international, which was in Iceland in Feb 2020.

Interestingly, she also has been competing in the USFS qualifying season for a number of years. (She is part of the @laeliteice training group in SoCal.)

In the 2019-20 season, she qualified for U.S. sectionals for the first time (by winning the bronze at regionals).
At the age of 26. :cool:
ETA (on Jun 12):
Oops, my mistake: Louisa actually won the pewter at regionals.
BTW, she represented SC of Nevada in USFS qualifying.​

Very cool.

Lysacek has been involved with Figure Skating in Harlem for years.

Other prominent U.S. skaters too. Timothy Goebel immediately comes to mind as another example.

Meryl Davis was a leader in expanding the FSH model and establishing Figure Skating in Detroit.

ABC News Nightline Features Figure Skating in Harlem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTjqHPOZNvk

cmk

Rinkside
I believe Rory Flack's son competed for Australia (father was Ralph Burghardt (sp). I forgot the son's name though. I did see a clip of a exhibition he did with his mom a few years ago.

sakurano

Final Flight
It's a very good idea this son, as a French I am proud that Surya Bonaly and Mae Berenice Meité represent France they accomplished good things and brought a lot to skating like the backflip of Bonaly and programs as well as placing in the top 10 skaters in the world of Maé Berenice : luv17:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I believe Rory Flack's son competed for Australia (father was Ralph Burghardt (sp). I forgot the son's name though. I did see a clip of a exhibition he did with his mom a few years ago.

Remington Burghart: He's 2011 US Juv Bronze Pairs medalist. He now competes for Austria, not Australia.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Part 1 of Interview with Canadian ice dancer Asher Hill.. he discusses how he got into the sport, his passion for ice dancing, his experiences frequently being the “only” black skater on the ice sometimes, the support of family, friends and his future as a full time coach and choreographer. It is a fine interview but ends rather abruptly and I guess Part 2 is yet to come.. worth a look.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think this video coversation has it's place in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QII3mhSQrpA&feature=youtu.be
From description: "Co-Hosts Acacia and Asher Hill are joined by the highly melanated and excellent Vanessa James, Maé Bérénice Méité, and Elladj Bladé to talk about their experience as Black figure skaters." I loved it! Each of them has different experience and it's definitely worth hearing about it :)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I think this video coversation has it's place in here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QII3mhSQrpA&feature=youtu.be
From description: "Co-Hosts Acacia and Asher Hill are joined by the highly melanated and excellent Vanessa James, Maé Bérénice Méité, and Elladj Bladé to talk about their experience as Black figure skaters." I loved it! Each of them has different experience and it's definitely worth hearing about it :)
Definitely fits here, and very interesting.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rohene Ward talks about choreographing the Sinnerman piece and what it means to him in this article about Jason, Rohene and Sinnerman, with quotes from Jason, Rohene and persons in the modern dance community :

Last spring, with frustrations in the Black community growing and COVID-19 tightening its grip, Ward thought it was time to honor Alvin Ailey (1931-1989), founder of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater and choreographer of “Revelations,” a landmark work telling elements of the Black American experience through modern dance.

Rohene is now working out of the Fox Valley rink in the Chicago area and wants to do more outreach to students of color:

“I’ve reached out, but with COVID it’s been difficult,” he said. “It’s about going into the community and doing the work. I’m ready to do that, once COVID clears.”

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Figure Skating in Harlem Virtual Gala
April 22
from Vanessa James Instagram...
Lots of interesting celebs & skaters
Starr Andrews
Elladj Balde
Adam Rippon
Gal Gadot
Vanessa James
Alex & Maia Shibutani
Vlad from CBS (can’t remember his last name)
And more!!
Mae Berenice Meite is also mentioned tho not sure she will be there since her Achilles surgery...