2020-21 Grand Prix- when will get assignments, if at all? | Golden Skate

2020-21 Grand Prix- when will get assignments, if at all?

haribobo

On the Ice
Here is the potential list I compiled a few months back, with a couple minor edits...will JGP happen at all? Will GP assignments be named this month or at all?

LADIES (roughly 36 skaters for 72 total spots)
RUS (9)- Kostornaia, Trusova, Shcherbakova, Tuktamysheva, Medvedeva, Sinitsyna, Zagitova? (then Gulyakova- no sb & 54ws & 7th Nats, Samodurova- sb35 & 13ws & 9th Nats)
USA (5)- Tennell, Bell, K Chen, Glenn, Andrews (host spot: Venetta/Gold/Hicks/Cui/Harrell)
JPN (9)- Kihira, Higuchi, Miyahara, Sakamoto, Yokoi, Yamashita, Araki, also Honda/Nagai/Nitaya/Kawabata
KOR (6)- Young, Yelim, Eunsoo, Hanul, H. Lee, S. Wi
CAN (1.5)- (host spots: Bausback sb59/Schumacher sb57/Pineault sb58/Schizas no sb/Daleman sb74)
FRA (1.5)- (host spots: Meite, Serna, maybe Mazzara if not JGP)
CHN (1.5)- (host spots: Hongyi, Yi Zhu, Ashley Lin?)
Other (7)- Paganini, Kurakova, Safonova, Ryabova, Schott, Peltonen, Kiibus (alt Saarinen)

MEN (roughly 36 skaters for 72 total spots)
RUS (7)- Samarin, Aliev, Danielian, Ignatov, Mozalev, Gumennik, Kolyada
USA (7/8)- Chen, Zhou, Brown, Hiwatashi, Pulkinen, Krasnozhon, Torgashev, Naumov?
JPN (7)- Kagiyama, Hanyu, Uno, Tanaka, Tomono, Yamamoto, Sato
CAN (4)- Messing, Nguyen, Sadovsky, Nadeau (host spot: Phan/Orzel/Gogolev)
FRA (1)- Aymoz, Fa
CHN (2) - Boyang Jin, Yan Han
Other (7)- Cha, Kvitelashvili, Vasiljevs, Grassl, Rizzo, Fentz, Brezina (alt: Kovalev, Selevko, Litvintsev, Kerry)

PAIRS (roughly 24 teams for 48 spots)
RUS (6)- Boikova, Tarasova, Pavliuchenko, Mishina, Pepeleva, Panfilova
USA (7)- Kayne, Cain, Calalang, Knierim, Lu, Finster, Serafini
JPN (1)- Miura
CAN (3) - MTM, Walsh, Ruest
CHN (3)- Peng, Sui, Tang
FRA (1)- Hamon (host: Keriven)
Other (4)- DMG, Ziegler, Hase, Hocke (alt: Ghilardi, Barquero, Magyar)

DANCE (roughly 30 teams for 60 spots)
RUS (6) - Sinitsina, Stepanova, Zagorski, Morozov, Shevchenko, Skoptcova (maybe Konkina, Shpilevaya, Bazin)
USA (6)- Chock, Hubbell, Hawayek, Carreira, Green, Nguyen
CAN (4)- Gilles, Soucisse, Lajoie, Fournier-Beaudry
ITA (1) - Guignard
FRA (2)- Papadakis, Lauriault (host: Galyavieva/Wagret)
SPN (2)- Smart, Hurtado
JPN (1)- Komatsubara (host spot: Yoshida)
CHN (1)- Wang (host spots: Chen, Ning)
Other (5)- Fear, Kaliszek, Reed, Nazarova, Kazakova (alt: Galyavieva, Steffan, Wagret, Muller, Lopareva, Orihara)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
My guess is that with (I think?) two JGPs already washed out and little likelihood of anywhere putting up their hands to take them over, the series is a goner.

Re the GP series, I think they'll allocate places with all fingers firmly crossed and keep hopes and plans going till the last minute they can... but it depends, it really does depend, and I'm pessimistic about it going forward. On the upside, there are some countries cautiously or not so cautiously opening borders... on the downside, a couple of places have indicated small second wave signs, especially as restrictions ease. The figures in the US and Russia are still pretty scary every day (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/) and it surely won't go forward without them.

If I was one of the skaters, especially those in the earlier GPs, I'd also look at some challengers in my own country just in case, to enhance the chances of having something if it falls through.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Things are going to be a mess in the US for awhile. Many places that haven't achieved a sustained decline in the rate of new infections (even California) are reopening due to pressure from the business community.

Yes, in US they believe there may be a resurgence of the virus during the summer/early fall too, and if that occurs, there’s no way there will be a Grand Prix event held in the US

dancelion21

On the Ice
I imagine that they're still going to announce GP assignments this month, since the ISU was so gung-ho about announcing Challengers even though it's pretty clear most of those aren't going to happen. It seems that the ISU's plan is to be as optimistic about a regular season as possible, and then cancel once the governments in the regions tell them to.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I imagine that they're still going to announce GP assignments this month, since the ISU was so gung-ho about announcing Challengers even though it's pretty clear most of those aren't going to happen. It seems that the ISU's plan is to be as optimistic about a regular season as possible, and then cancel once the governments in the regions tell them to.

I expect most places will allow events to go on by fall, probably with various modifications like reduced (or no) live audiences, limited press presence, fewer skaters per practice session, etc. I don't know what would happen if one or two GP events can't happen because that would impact GPF qualification.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We won't. It will be cancelled.

I agree, but I expect that they will allocate and announce senior placements (with all their fingers firmly crossed) and then hold out as long as possible for a miracle before Skate America kicks off. It's what I would do, honestly, best of two horrible choices.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
No idea what will happen in the upcoming three months, but trying to predict GP placements for the 'what if' scenario is fun. I admit I've also been going through them in my head recently.
I don't keep up with all categories, so just a couple of random remarks on your list:
- what do you base your allocations on? It caught my eye that you predict e.g. Fentz for a GP spot with more certainty than Kerry, Litvintsev or Selevko, who are all far above him in the rankings.
- as someone said, Haein Lee is likely to get a GP spot or two due to turning senior and having good results on the JGP.
- among the Japanese ladies, I think Tomoe Kawabata should be considered for the host spot (if she goes senior), as she's the bronze Nats medalist. And Marin is higher in the rankings than Mako or Nana so I don't think they'll get GP precedence over her?
- and why would Safonova get a GP over Kiibus, Peltonen and Schott who should be guaranteed a GP based on their world ranking?
- Fa is high enough to get two spots instead of just the host spot, I think? And Tesson should be considered alongside Ponsart
- Sato is going senior so Yamamoto could well only contend for the host spot again, I'm afraid

Also, it's just a trifle but could you edit the men's names into the pairs and dance couples? I understand it's faster for you this way and I enjoy reading your predictions, but it rubs me the wrong way to see just one half of a pair listed. The men deserve to be edited in too.

We won't. It will be cancelled.

Perhaps it will, but I imagine it would be hard for skaters to go back to training with that thought in mind.

haribobo

On the Ice
Thanks for the replies, interesting takes! Fentz is 34 on the SB list, higher than those other men. But yes, he is lower on the WS list. Marin Honda is only 47th on the SB list, below Nana and Mako. But her WS rank of 27th is higher, yes. Safonova's SB score is 29th, above Kiibus, Peltonen and Schott. But yes now that world rankings are adjusted they all fall into top 24, so they should all get one I think. Fa, if turning senior, should get a spot yes.

Updated list in original post.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Jessica Tessari is always with Francesco Fioretti?

Fioretti is now partnering Carolina Moscheni. She announced it on her Facebook profile at the start of March. I posted about it in the Splits / Partner Changes thread, but did not include a link because the privacy settings on the post mean it can only be seen by people she is connected with.

Given that she was taking time away from skating last season, I don't know if they will be back to competition straight away.

CaroLiza_fan