2020-21 Grand Prix- when will get assignments, if at all? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Grand Prix- when will get assignments, if at all?

saturdaysun

On the Ice
The NBA just announced they are resuming their season at the end of July and if that goes well then I don't see why Skate America can't happen. "If" being the operative word, of course...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Aren't NBA teams overwhelmingly domestic? Like our own NRL has already started. None of the GPs will be possible if international travel is still a mess. The start of F1 and (if anyone can think of them?) other international sports is more to the point.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Don’t worry, although it is mostly about motorsport, this comment will work around to talking about figure skating.

If Formula 1 and international football matches will be taking place then, I don't see why figure skating would not. But the whole GP can become a toast because of just one cancellation so a back up plan should be created.

Aren't NBA teams overwhelmingly domestic? Like our own NRL has already started. None of the GPs will be possible if international travel is still a mess. The start of F1 and (if anyone can think of them?) other international sports is more to the point.

Formula 1 is re-starting in July because, ever since the new owners took over running the Championship, the priority has been on making money rather than the wellbeing of the people involved in the sport. But, that is hardly surprising, considering that F1 is now being run by businessmen. Although he was a very divisive character, Bernie Ecclestone at least had a background in motorsports.

For a long time, there was an informal agreement between all the key players (governing body, championship promoter, teams, etc.) that there would be a limit on the number of races in a season (I think it was 20), so that everybody could have the chance to have a home life for at least some of the year and not be constantly travelling. However, since the new owners took over, they have been actively increasing the number of races past what was agreed, and have been openly talking about having as many as 25 races as year. And even the drivers have been voicing concerns that that is too much.

When it started to become obvious that this pandemic was going to be a big thing, the championship promoters were still pushing for races to go ahead, and were trying to negotiate with governments to allow them to happen. We have already discussed the disgraceful events at Albert Park, when the championship promoters and the local race promoters were still pushing for the race to go ahead right up to about an hour before Free Practice 1 was due to start, even though some of the team personnel had tested positive and the drivers and teams were calling for it to be cancelled.

As for restarting the season, the plan is get going at the start of July with 3 races on consecutive weekends. These will be held in Austria (2 races) and Hungary (1 race), countries that have the virus pretty much under control.

Most of the teams are based in England. Ferrari and Toro Rosso (both based in the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy) and Sauber (still based in Switzerland despite using Alfa Romeo branding) are the only teams that aren’t. So, the championship promotors are saying that everybody can travel to the circuits together and stay in a closed bubble for the duration of each event, where they are not in contact with the outside world. Which sounds good on paper.

However, as I said, all the teams apart from Sauber are based in the UK or Italy. You know, the 2 countries that have recorded the highest number of deaths in Europe. Now, I admit that I don’t know about flights from Italy, but a lot of countries that are announcing details about airports re-opening are saying that they will not allow in flights from anywhere in the British Isles, because England hasn’t got the virus under control yet.

Is it really a good idea for countries that have the virus under control to be letting in a few thousand people from countries where it is still not under control? Bearing in mind that, even if they are in a closed bubble, there will still be interaction between them and the local staff at the hotel and the circuit.

Personally, I think it is madness.

At the start of August, there will be 2 Formula 1 races on consecutive weekends at Silverstone, in England. As I said, England hasn’t got the virus under control yet. So, I don’t think this is a good idea at all.

But, this is where this comment starts to get relevant for figure skating.

A few days before it was confirmed that these F1 races at Silverstone were going ahead, it was confirmed that the MotoGP races that were due to be held at Silverstone a few weeks later were cancelled.

So, what is the difference? Why can a MotoGP race not be held at a circuit because of COVID-19, when two F1 races can be held at the same circuit a few weeks earlier?

Because the majority of Formula 1 teams are based in England. There are only 3teams that are going to be having to come in from abroad, and 2 of them will be coming in together from Bologna.

In MotoGP, the teams are based in various different countries. And even when teams are from the same country, they are spread out across different regions of that country. So, there is a lot higher risk of the virus getting into the paddock and spreading.

And the same would be the case in figure skating. The Junior and Senior GP Series are both set up in a way that each competition has entries from a wide variety of countries.

I have already mentioned the following in PM’s with the members that I have been chatting with privately during the lockdown. But, I will now repeat it here for the public audience.

I honestly can’t see the competitive circuit getting back to normal until summer 2021. After a long period away from the ice and away from training, it will take time for the skaters to get back to peak condition. So, even if the lockdown easing allows them to go back to training next week, I would say that the skaters would not be ready for the Autumn part of the season. And it wouldn’t be fair to throw skaters in at the deep end by starting their seasons at Nationals or the Majors.

What I would envisage happening is for the competitive circuit to re-start with a whole string of Senior B’s held between January and July 2021, and then for the season to go back to normal in August 2021 with the Junior GP series.

Not ideal in the season before an Olympic season, but you can’t help unexpected things like this happening.

CaroLiza_fan

MaHa75

On the Ice
Back to the topic...10th of june is deadline for all national sakting union to give feedback to ISU about their skaters who have been qualified to GP next season. So i am expecting announcement and names already at the end of this week! And please do not spread the negative thoughts about next season...everything will be ok. In europe normal traveling will start again in 15th of june. Gp firsts cometition will be after 4,5 months...be positive and pray for the skaters sake that there will be gp and all the other comp. Who scare to go watch will sit home

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Did anyone post the schedule?

SA 23-25 Oct

SCI 30 Oct - 1 Nov

CoC 6-8 Nov

IdF 13-15 Nov

CoR 20-22 Nov

NHK 27-29 Nov

GPF 10-13 Dec

All provisional.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
The NBA just announced they are resuming their season at the end of July and if that goes well then I don't see why Skate America can't happen. "If" being the operative word, of course...

In the NBA the teams are from US but the Skate America is international.That is matter, I believe.

ruga

Final Flight
Someone here suggested just organizing 2020 WC in September-October and I completely agree. Finding one country that will agree to hold a competition, even for a large number of skaters is much easier than dealing with 6 events, almost all organized in countries that are very affected by the virus. That way skaters could have some sort of off-season in November-December and hopefully start back again by Nationals.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Someone here suggested just organizing 2020 WC in September-October and I completely agree. Finding one country that will agree to hold a competition, even for a large number of skaters is much easier than dealing with 6 events, almost all organized in countries that are very affected by the virus. That way skaters could have some sort of off-season in November-December and hopefully start back again by Nationals.

The ISU has already outright cancelled Worlds 2020, though, so un-cancelling it suddenly would just confuse everyone and disrupt what training they'll be able to do. And even if they could, logistically it probably wouldn't work. Plenty of countries won't have their borders open by September/October - not to mention airlines won't have a full schedule of flights up for those who can travel (and if Worlds hosts have to pay for skaters' travel the way GP hosts do - I can't remember if they do and it's late so I'm not going to look it up - that could make the cost prohibitive) so the field would probably be far too small for a reasonable Worlds.

And of course, November/December is Nationals season for many countries, so some skaters wouldn't get an off-season at all.

ruga

Final Flight
The ISU has already outright cancelled Worlds 2020, though, so un-cancelling it suddenly would just confuse everyone and disrupt what training they'll be able to do. And even if they could, logistically it probably wouldn't work. Plenty of countries won't have their borders open by September/October - not to mention airlines won't have a full schedule of flights up for those who can travel (and if Worlds hosts have to pay for skaters' travel the way GP hosts do - I can't remember if they do and it's late so I'm not going to look it up - that could make the cost prohibitive) so the field would probably be far too small for a reasonable Worlds.

And of course, November/December is Nationals season for many countries, so some skaters wouldn't get an off-season at all.
Obviously, there is a possibility that none of the events, GP or Worlds, are possible to organize. But I just think that if 2 or 3 countries cancel their GP events while the rest agree to hold them, then WC is certainly a better option. Also, many skaters are having their off season right now, so the time after WC could be used for creating new programs or polishing new elements if skaters didn't have time for it.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Obviously, there is a possibility that none of the events, GP or Worlds, are possible to organize. But I just think that if 2 or 3 countries cancel their GP events while the rest agree to hold them, then WC is certainly a better option.

I actually think that if it came to choosing between one competition - WC - and, say, three or four - GP - then GP is fairer to the athletes because more of them would be able to participate. WC has the three spot limits on a country, so when it comes to Russian ladies for instance, in a limited GP series we'd be able to see more of them than at one WC. I am worried about the effect of no competitions on elite athletes who don't have a chance to shine at WC but are GP eligible. But it would also be fair to cancel the GPF if one or more competitions of the series is gone.
That all supposing that somehow the situation improves by Autumn, which is now a big question mark :/

ruga

Final Flight
I actually think that if it came to choosing between one competition - WC - and, say, three or four - GP - then GP is fairer to the athletes because more of them would be able to participate. WC has the three spot limits on a country, so when it comes to Russian ladies for instance, in a limited GP series we'd be able to see more of them than at one WC. I am worried about the effect of no competitions on elite athletes who don't have a chance to shine at WC but are GP eligible. But it would also be fair to cancel the GPF if one or more competitions of the series is gone.
That all supposing that somehow the situation improves by Autumn, which is now a big question mark :/
Fair point. I just went by the fact that Worlds is just more prestigious and overall a bigger loss for a skater's career, especially in ladies where girls only get a few chances to go to Worlds. Also, many small country skaters do not have GP spots, but had the chance to go to Worlds. But obviously, it would be sad not to see Sakamoto, Zagitova, Medvedeva and others until December or so.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Fair point. I just went by the fact that Worlds is just more prestigious and overall a bigger loss for a skater's career, especially in ladies where girls only get a few chances to go to Worlds. Also, many small country skaters do not have GP spots, but had the chance to go to Worlds. But obviously, it would be sad not to see Sakamoto, Zagitova, Medvedeva and others until December or so.

Yes, it's unfortunately a no-win situation :( The loss of WC 2020 must have hurt many, and if they had to wait skating just at domestic events and maybe Challengers (if there are any), their age and finances may be against them, not to mention there's a long time till new WC when one might get injured or overtaken by a younger skater. I feel sorry for all the skaters affected.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Canada, especially British Columbia, is really flattening the Covid Curve. We are doing better here in BC than some of the other Provinces and though we are bracing for the second Covid outbreak we are opening more and more events and businesses. Vancouver is in the running to be the host for the Stanley Cup playoffs, the stipulation is the players must be isolated and quarantined for 14 days. If this can happen for hockey, I can't see why Figure Skating would not be included. I haven't heard any news about FS but it's early yet. I'm hoping by the Fall we will know more about FS and other sports.

Supernovaimplosion

Final Flight
Canada, especially British Columbia, is really flattening the Covid Curve. We are doing better here in BC than some of the other Provinces and though we are bracing for the second Covid outbreak we are opening more and more events and businesses. Vancouver is in the running to be the host for the Stanley Cup playoffs, the stipulation is the players must be isolated and quarantined for 14 days. If this can happen for hockey, I can't see why Figure Skating would not be included. I haven't heard any news about FS but it's early yet. I'm hoping by the Fall we will know more about FS and other sports.

Well, skaters couldn't isolate for each competition but maybe the ISU could hold the Grand prix as a 6 week bonanza in one city. The problem is that figure skating (I assume) relies much heavier on ticket sales for a profit than the major leagues so it probably wouldn't be worth it to hold competitions without spectators

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well, skaters couldn't isolate for each competition but maybe the ISU could hold the Grand prix as a 6 week bonanza in one city. The problem is that figure skating (I assume) relies much heavier on ticket sales for a profit than the major leagues so it probably wouldn't be worth it to hold competitions without spectators

That may be a problem of course. The last Stars on Ice show I saw in Vancouver, had a lot of empty seats. Let's hope there is a return to Figure Skating championships soon.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

The JGP scheduled for Richmond in late August was cancelled. I think the announcement was made several weeks ago.

There is also speculation in the media that the border agreement with the US will be extended for another 30 days after the current June 21 expiry.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Skate Canada's recent webinar went into that - they did well last year in ticket sales, if I understood the economic jargon. TV rights is the other earner, I imagine, and it's going to be hard to persuade any media except Japan and Russia (and maybe China depending on which skaters? Canada? Korea?) to pay good money and give decent coverage to empty rinks in a foreign country for a whole grand prix. Then there are the financial benefits - or not - of hosting the whole circus once, let alone six times. Kelowna businesses were apparently very happy with the flow on benefits last year, but no or limited audiences means no flow on.

And to be cynical here, given that home advantage is pretty much a given anyway, somewhat deflected by different homes in a normal year, are the federations really going to want to trust one with all of it?

I may be wrong and rather too sadsacky, but I do think if the ISU were to go for that idea, they need to do it in a country where the curve is not just flattened but right down, the virus is pretty much under control, there are no signs of a second wave, they can allow for accommodation and sufficient practice rinks for everyone concerned within a reasonable radius for the whole shebang and they can offer at least some socially distant seating. It possibly can be done, but it does mean thinking outside the box.