Rika Kihira to add Brian Orser as her secondary coach | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira to add Brian Orser as her secondary coach

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Beat me to it. I’m adding my thoughts to the Japanese ladies’ thread. And it’s true, by the way.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
This is going to be so interesting. She's technically perfect just like Yuna Kim and isn't Brian very good at working with already polished skaters?

I'm still 🤯🤯🤯

Not recovering from this anytime soon. We are talking about my chosen child here.

heartyxo

On the Ice
I'm excited! She already has a great technical base, skating skills and spins. I think TCC will be able to help her get that 4S and hopefully bring out her performance/interpretation more too. :)

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I am really glad she's keeping Hamada as her main coach though. Hamada has been amazing for her and I would feel very unsettled if she'd just flat out switched.

One thing I've noticed is that Hamada has a history of sending Rika to various places to train so this is consistent with that. But exciting at the same time!

Omg! My darling girl bringing the drama of all people! Haha very tame drama but mind blowing no less 😂

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
There's an english article confirming it here .

I personally think it's a great move, she has great technique on all of her jumps, so there's no reworking to do, just helping her get that quad salchow and quad toeloop, and there are plenty of excellent technicians at TCC. They are also big on the all-around skater, so hopefully her PCS scores will rise as well. Rika also says she wants to be inspired by amazing skaters, and where better than at TCC?

ruga

Final Flight
Really good decision by Rika! Happy she stays with Hamada but gets help from Orser - she is already good technically and artistically, just needs some guidance and consistency. And if that doesn't work, she can always come back to the old training scheme. Excited to see how she develops in the future.

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Very excited. Rika wants to up her game and leave no doubts. I wonder if she and Evgenia will pick up any tricks from each other ;)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just no David Wilson please!!! I'm scared of possibility of a David Wilson program!

Hit or miss, I’ll grant you, but think positively: Jason’s Schindlers List or Javi’s Guys and Dolls:)

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Just no David Wilson please!!! I'm scared of possibility of a David Wilson program!

He choreographed Eunsoo's SP (the one with purple dress) and FS last season. Both were amazing programs. He is often hit or miss. Sometimes he creates masterpieces, sometimes not so great programs :D

Amei

Record Breaker
He choreographed Eunsoo's SP (the one with purple dress) and FS last season. Both were amazing programs. He is often hit or miss. Sometimes he creates masterpieces, sometimes not so great programs :D

That's choreographers in general, not just David Wilson.

I find it interesting that THIS is the year she does this - she's going to have to travel between Canada and Japan; travel restrictions galore are going to be an obstacle going between the 2 countries unless there is some special agreement put in place to not have to quarantine.

Pantsu

On the Ice
Great news for Medo. She'll have an actual sparring partner like in good ol' days at Khrustalny

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Pretty surprising if Orser doesn't mind being just a secondary coach. I wonder whether he's secondary in name only.

I hope no David Wilson programs, if I never have to see another program by him I'll be extremely happy. He's such an outdated choreographer.

I also wonder how Medvedeva feels about it, what if Rika becomes top priority for Orser over her? That'll be interesting to follow, too.

Scott512

Record Breaker
This is going to be so interesting. She's technically perfect just like Yuna Kim and isn't Brian very good at working with already polished skaters?

I'm still 🤯🤯🤯

Not recovering from this anytime soon. We are talking about my chosen child here.

Yes he takes made skaters. It pays off for him.

I guess Rika thinks moving to Canada will get her closer to 3A. We shall see.