Back on the Ice | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Back on the Ice

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes, it was $450/hr and I believe that you could just do one hour and another skater could take the second hour. But it was maximum 20 skaters *and* coaches, so the skaters had fewer than 20 to divide the hourly amount by. I don't know what the rink rate was previously; suspect it was within the same range.

We are in California. Our local rink closest to us was about $360/hr private ice rental before things changed, if I remember correctly. That price varied from other rinks in town.
Ah, thanks for the response. Just wanted to make it clear that before anyone (not you) accuses rinks of price gouging on sessions that are being opened on the basis of private rentals, they need to compare post-pandemic to pre-pandemic private rental rates; not to pre-pandemic individual freestyle session rates. With all the restrictions and extra expenses, we would expect some increase, however.

concorde

Medalist
I was aware of one rink offering private ice during the shutdown for ~$375 an hour (told the fee third hand). That same rink is offering post showdown ice for $350 an hour. Basically the same price point.

Lipinski boy

Rinkside
Here in California, all ice rinks are still closed and it’s causing us all emotional trepidations. I know so many people are chomping at the bit, ready to go. It makes no sense why the state allows swimming pools, parks, and bowling alleys to be open, but not ice rinks.

theblade

On the Ice
Things are different depending on the part of the state, I suppose. Certain private rinks in California have been up and running for awhile now, with various social distancing plans in place. Catering to the higher-level skaters and coaches. But with limited ice time and slots.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
$450 an hour for what is really private ice rental, is not pandemic gouging. There is one rink in the Phoenix area (out of 6 major rinks) that in regular times, often has random slots available for private rental (usually 5-6am or 11pm-1am) and were advertised on their website as $400 an hour.

That's normal pricing. It's why regular freestyle sessions limiting skaters to 25 cost more than public sessions, where everyone can skate for 3 hours for $9. I don't think people realize how much overhead it costs to run a rink.

theblade

On the Ice
Large rink conglomerate is opening today with some rinks now, some in a few days, and some TBD. All bookings online. Coaches book times first, then skaters a day after. Hiccups in this system and it's a bit difficult to synch coach/skaters schedules. Will presumably sort itself out in a few days. Believe it's 20 skaters on the ice per session (!?).

Finally scored ice time at a local rink next week (separate from the large conglomerate where some of our skater's coaching is). This one has only 15 skaters on the ice during morning sessions.

So, quick tally, 107-ish days later, my skater will be back on the ice. This is partly due to an unconventional coaching situation. Other skaters have been back on the ice earlier.

1111bm

Final Flight
Wow, where I live (pre-pandemic) ice rental is half the price that it apparently is in the US (at most, meaning private). :eek:

And even now post-pandemic, for some reason we're currently even paying 30 % less than before (someone made a special deal or so I've been told). :scratch2:
And compared to the way it was before, there's only 1/3-1/2 as many skaters on the ice, so it's basically heaven. :love:
We'll see how long it stays that way. We've been back on the ice for 1-2 weeks, fearing another wave or local outbreak. I'm lucky that there are no higher level skaters in my town, so I get to skate a few sessions even as a measly, recreational adult skater. :drama:

theblade

On the Ice
From what I can ascertain, there hasn't been much of a price increase, if any (that I can see, could be wrong). Our cheapest rink option (that happens to be closest to our house) is still closed, unfortunately.

So we have always paid a higher price at other rinks for freestyle sessions (where the coaching is), and a slightly cheaper rate - for training without coaching - close to home.

At two of those "other" rinks, prices per freestyle hour are the same as before the time-out - $14-$16 USD per hour, bulk price. It's higher if you're just buying one or two sessions at a clip.

We didn't chase ice because A) school was still in session and homework for the kid was enough B) didn't have coaching that was actively seeking ice out for their students. Also, C) social distancing. Once the competitive season was shot, I treated this like it was time off due to injury. It won't be easy or quick when getting back on the ice for my skater, I'm sure. Luckily, off-ice general fitness has continued so at least there is some strength. Will have to build aerobic endurance back up.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
From what I can ascertain, there hasn't been much of a price increase, if any (that I can see, could be wrong). Our cheapest rink option (that happens to be closest to our house) is still closed, unfortunately.

So we have always paid a higher price at other rinks for freestyle sessions (where the coaching is), and a slightly cheaper rate - for training without coaching - close to home.

At two of those "other" rinks, prices per freestyle hour are the same as before the time-out - $14-$16 USD per hour, bulk price. It's higher if you're just buying one or two sessions at a clip.

We didn't chase ice because A) school was still in session and homework for the kid was enough B) didn't have coaching that was actively seeking ice out for their students. Also, C) social distancing. Once the competitive season was shot, I treated this like it was time off due to injury. It won't be easy or quick when getting back on the ice for my skater, I'm sure. Luckily, off-ice general fitness has continued so at least there is some strength. Will have to build aerobic endurance back up.

In California there are a couple rinks charging more than 2X-3X the normal price for ice rental. Can't speak for anywhere else.

Sunshine247

On the Ice
In Kansas, our private rink is open with limited numbers on the ice for freestyle. Open doors for ventilation, and set up for skaters to keep their distance. Our ice time is the same price as before, and I know they are probably operating at a loss. ETA price is 10-16 depending on if walk on or passes.

Another rink close by is also offering freestyle now, but I’m not sure of pricing. Probably similar but we are easing back onto the ice and limiting our exposure to our one group for now. Although it’s usually all the same people. lol.

I haven’t seen many non competitive skaters on the ice yet. I hope we can still safely support our sport through these times.

theblade

On the Ice
Wow, @kolyadafan2002, that's wild! Is this in the Northern part of the state? Are the rinks you are speaking of private, one-offs in terms of ownership?

It does cost a lot of money to run a rink (well into the hundreds of thousands a year, if I am correct, if not into the millions, for bigger enterprises with multiple sheets). So I can absolutely understand that, after a few months off, they are trying to recoup some lost revenue and have a price increase to account for: A) loss of operating months; B) loss of clients, with fewer using facilities at the moment.

Incredibly tough to know what to do. From my understanding, the virus is more contagious in enclosed settings, which makes me wary of rinks in general.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Wow, @kolyadafan2002, that's wild! Is this in the Northern part of the state? Are the rinks you are speaking of private, one-offs in terms of ownership?

It does cost a lot of money to run a rink (well into the hundreds of thousands a year, if I am correct, if not into the millions, for bigger enterprises with multiple sheets). So I can absolutely understand that, after a few months off, they are trying to recoup some lost revenue and have a price increase to account for: A) loss of operating months; B) loss of clients, with fewer using facilities at the moment.

Incredibly tough to know what to do. From my understanding, the virus is more contagious in enclosed settings, which makes me wary of rinks in general.

private, southern.

They definitely aren't making a loss as they are running many hours per day. It's just that skaters in general can only afford an hour a day or less due to the extreme costs.

theblade

On the Ice
We are not far from each other, then. I have only paid attention to the rinks that are within a fast hour's drive of our location, barring a few. Within 1.5 to 2 hrs, I can believe that your area has a variety of private single-sheet rinks that have been a bit free to price things themselves and see how much the market will bear.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
To minimise ankle pain for anybody still off the ice, I'd recommend wearing skates at home a few times a week - be careful of course, but bend in them and get used to the feeling.

How I wish I'd taken your advice!! Today was my first day back on the ice (and wearing skates) in almost four months and my feet/fingers are killing me!! Coin-sized blisters on the inside of both heels, bruised big and little toenails, bunion/bunionette pain, plus ripped fingers from lacing. Same padding as usual (gel sleeve round the ankle), but I guess it wasn't enough since I lost the calluses that usually protect me.

Is it possible for feet to change shape without regular compression from skates? I'm in my twenties... Then again, my skates were already quite tight at the toes (from the top and sides) - still a better fit from previous boots, but I was considering going to the skate tech for advice just before the shutdown hit. I wonder if I should still do that, or wait a couple of weeks to get used to skating first?

On the bright side, with my coach's guidance, most jumps were landed (the hardest thing I do properly is 1Lz-1Lo - axel is usually not rotated, and we didn't try it today). Spins felt dizzy at first but improved in the second hour during self-practice. Surprisingly, the most deterioration (I felt) was skating skills - toe pushing, scratchy/flat/jumped turns, powerless power pulls, general sluggishness... I'm going to die when we start ice dance again :drama:

Ducky

On the Ice
I'm kind of surprised that after 4 months off the ice my first scratch spin was incredibly centered and fast, and I am suddenly able to do back inside 3 turns. Part of me credits actually having taken up a proper exercise regiment.

However, there's only one rink that is renting out private ice and there's no great way to get out there: either it's an hour via the train (and I can't do that both ways because I need to be above ground getting back to my apartment in order to be available in case I'm needed by one of my bosses) and taking an uber during morning rush hour is very expensive. :-/ There's another skater in my neighborhood who in the Before Time might have been able to split an uber with me, but I don't know how comfortable she would be doing so now.

Nimyue

On the Ice
I have no doubt it will be easier to rotate doubles. The problem is that you are relying on muscle memory for each technique and jump that hasn't been used for a long time. When it comes to this, there is a huge risk of injury and bad technique.

I'm not saying "every kid will get bad technique" or "every kid will be injured", what I'm saying is that a higher proportion of kids will. For example, one time I took a long time off skating, and when I came back I suddenly started flutzing because I didn't take the time to get jumps back properly.

Off ice exercises are very helpful, but people really shouldn't rush in to jumps. I'm not saying that they won't succeed if they rush in, but it's risky. Generally speaking doubles shouldn't even be considered for junior skaters and below for the first week. It doesn't matter what off ice people do, the risk is there. Even if they do 2 hours per day of the most intensive off ice imaginable.
Your kid has started doubles, so s/he should continue doing them - but I'd recommend that people who haven't yet got back to the ice to heed my advice when they eventually get back.

WOW I really shouldn't complain about $15/hr ice lol; previously we paid $10/hr. There is one rink that stayed at $10/hr but only one session a week.

Vicki7

On the Ice
Tomorrow will be my 3rd session back (adult skater, compete in inclusive events) here in the UK. I was pretty surprised when I first got on the ice, it felt weird and unnatural for about 10 minutes, then I got my balance back. Amazingly, everything is either where it was pre-hiatus or actually slightly better. Coach is taking the opportunity, while we don't have an impending competition, to go right back to basics and firm up my elements. I've also started to record and post skating vlogs, so I've got a record of my journey going forward.