Jackson Ultima Debut Fusion boot question | Golden Skate

Jackson Ultima Debut Fusion boot question

FigureSkater2625

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I’ve looked within the other pages that concern Jackson Debut Fusion boots and I couldn’t find anything that addressed this specifically, has the Debut Fusion boot always had the same plastic covering that is shown on the Jackson Entrè? I ask because on the Jackson website the Debut Fusion boots have the plastic covering but I’ve seen other photos of the Debut Fusions that do not have the plastic covering. Is this a new development in the boot?

Sibelius

On the Ice
The two pair of Debut Fusions we had didn't have that "Dura Guard" plastic on them. I don't see it in the photos of the Debuts on the Jackson U.S. website. I only see it in the pictures of the Flex Fusion and the Entree Fusion. Where are you seeing it? The men's/boys models look like the upper is a suede finish with a leather looking forefoot (though it's all microfiber).

Check that. I did a Google search and it looks like the Men's/Boys Premiere is with the Dura Guard, looks exactly the same as the men's Debut model. My skater is now in the Premiere, which didn't have the Dura Guard when we bought them late last year. Her boots are pretty chewed up now, so as ugly as it is maybe they were getting complaints.

Last edited:

FigureSkater2625

Rinkside
Country
United-States
On Jacksonultima.com if you go onto products, go into boots and scroll down to the Jackson Debut Fusion (Women’s/Misses) it looks like there’s a duraguard on there so I just wasn’t sure if it was a new addition to the boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Golden Skate

Sibelius

On the Ice
On Jacksonultima.com if you go onto products, go into boots and scroll down to the Jackson Debut Fusion (Women’s/Misses) it looks like there’s a duraguard on there so I just wasn’t sure if it was a new addition to the boot.

I just saw a post on their IG page from March of a misses Premiere with Dura Guard, ugh. It says it's standard now on their 2000 series boots. (Flex, Entre, Debut and Premiere). Thanks for bringing it to my attention, makes the next boot decision simple. Just showed it to my skater, she said, NOPE. It's an Elite now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B94NUyXKjWJ/

FigureSkater2625

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Well that’s a little upsetting, personally I don’t mind the front of my boot getting scuffed up from skating. I wonder if there’s a specific reason behind having the Dura Guard, apart from making sure scuffs and rips don’t occur in the boot. Functionality-wise I’m just wondering whether there’s one reason or another why you should keep the front of your boot un-marred. Otherwise, I’m just going to say it’s a design choice on Jackson’s end. [emoji848][emoji53]

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well that’s a little upsetting, personally I don’t mind the front of my boot getting scuffed up from skating. I wonder if there’s a specific reason behind having the Dura Guard, apart from making sure scuffs and rips don’t occur in the boot. Functionality-wise I’m just wondering whether there’s one reason or another why you should keep the front of your boot un-marred. Otherwise, I’m just going to say it’s a design choice on Jackson’s end. [emoji848][emoji53]
I wonder whether the DuraGuard breathes? Anyone have experience with it?

Reminds me of people who buy fancy upholstered furniture ... then cover them with vinyl slipcovers to protect the upholstery.

Sibelius

On the Ice

Agreed. Mine doesn't care, they're battle scars. I do have to say the microfiber seems to cut much easier than her all leather Elle's 3 boots ago did. Or at least the cuts show more. She took a chunk out of her Premiere's that I have to keep taping and gluing down so it doesn't get worse. I would bet they got complaints about how easily they cut and felt they needed a solution. Pristine boots are a better look, but I can't afford 2 $1300 pairs, one for training and one for competition. Her first coach was an old school Canadian Olympian. She insisted on cleaning and polishing and new laces for competitions and tests. We still do all that, and touch up the cuts with some skate tape. I guess if the Debut is the right boot for you (and it's a GREAT boot) you'd get used to the look.

FigureSkater2625

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I plan on getting the debuts, I wonder if the Dura Guard would slide a lot on the ice when doing a lunge? [emoji848]

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
I have newish Debut Fusions (worn only 3 times before the rinks closed :cry:), and if by DuraGuard, you mean the shiny thing on the front, then yes, they have it. I've never had any problem with it sliding during lunges.

Annie122

Rinkside
I bought a pair of Debuts in February and they don't have the Duraguard. If you wear a popular size that a fitter would have a lot in stock of, you might find a pre-Duraguard debut. My fitter actually had a brown heeled older debut model in the size above mine when I went to buy my new boots.

Hope you find a boot that fits well!

I wonder what the normal boot material vs Duraguard Coefficient of friction is! :laugh: Glossy finish = < COF???

hanyuufan5

Medalist
I wonder what the normal boot material vs Duraguard Coefficient of friction is! :laugh: Glossy finish = < COF???

A very quick, informal test consisting of me moving my skate across various materials and vice versa shows that the Duraguard actually seems to have a higher coefficient of friction than the normal boot material. It has a kind of sticky/tacky-feeling finish.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A very quick, informal test consisting of me moving my skate across various materials and vice versa shows that the Duraguard actually seems to have a higher coefficient of friction than the normal boot material. It has a kind of sticky/tacky-feeling finish.

<<Emphasis added>> Precisely like vinyl slipcovers placed over upholstered furniture. :)

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
More so than cuts, I found that Duraguard has a tendency to acquire scuff marks/pick up colour from other surfaces. I've got black marks (from when my coach was partnering me in ice dance and our boots collided by mistake) and red marks which might be from leaning my foot on top of the boards. It seems worse on the Duraguard than on the uncovered portion. I tried removing the marks with acetone once, but got some more in the next session, so subsequently I couldn't be bothered. Might use white tape in future when they need to look presentable (which sort of defeats the purpose of the Duraguard coating in the first place...)

FigureSkater2625

Rinkside
Country
United-States
More so than cuts, I found that Duraguard has a tendency to acquire scuff marks/pick up colour from other surfaces. I've got black marks (from when my coach was partnering me in ice dance and our boots collided by mistake) and red marks which might be from leaning my foot on top of the boards. It seems worse on the Duraguard than on the uncovered portion. I tried removing the marks with acetone once, but got some more in the next session, so subsequently I couldn't be bothered. Might use white tape in future when they need to look presentable (which sort of defeats the purpose of the Duraguard coating in the first place...)

That’s really weird that it picks up color like that, although the tendency towards scuff marks does not surprise me. [emoji53]

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Ugggggh, as someone who wore a lot of patent leather shoes as a kid, if I never have to scrub scuffs with acetone again, it will be too soon! :laugh: I'll be sure not to lean on the boards.

FigureSkater2625

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Ugggggh, as someone who wore a lot of patent leather shoes as a kid, if I never have to scrub scuffs with acetone again, it will be too soon! :laugh: I'll be sure not to lean on the boards.

The color bleed makes me so hesitant to get a next level Jackson boot. I visited a rink about an hour from me a while ago and they had all sorts of skates on display and their Debut didn’t have a dura guard. Hoping they’ll still have a pair of those in stock. 🤞🏻

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
If you wear a size that has to be ordered (a boot your seller doesn't already have in stock), maybe you can order it without the Duraguard?