Skating Awards go digital | Golden Skate

Skating Awards go digital

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
It's kind of a hilarious comedown from "red carpet fashion!!" to "on the couch in pajamas at home", I'll give them that.

Caustica

Final Flight
Looking forward to a chance to see the skaters again, even in this new weird format.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I honestly don't understand why they're bothering, but then I never did.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am shocked that they are still doing this, but hey, more skating :biggrin:

And Jason did host a digital fundraiser in a suit jacket and pajama pants. It was rather dashing :laugh:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I am shocked that they are still doing this, but hey, more skating :biggrin:

And Jason did host a digital fundraiser in a suit jacket and pajama pants. It was rather dashing :laugh:

I see potential here. Let’s have a watch party for this event, where we all sit on our couches in our pajamas and have adult beverages at the ready. It might be a welcome diversion!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I see potential here. Let’s have a watch party for this event, where we all sit on our couches in our pajamas and have adult beverages at the ready. It might be a welcome diversion!

Giving it a miss, thanks. The 'winners' were always going to be faked, just the ones that the ISU and powerful feds want the fans to love more, becuase the ISU thinks they can manufacture love.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Giving it a miss, thanks. The 'winners' were always going to be faked, just the ones that the ISU and powerful feds want the fans to love more, becuase the ISU thinks they can manufacture love.

What’s your evidence of this? Or are you just speculating/sharing others’ speculation?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
What’s your evidence of this? Or are you just speculating/sharing others’ speculation?

The inadvertent Zakarian spoiler regarding Alina is a fair warning IMO. The process was after all as transparent as three-inch reinforced steel.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Some more news: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...sts-tanith-and-charlie-white?templateParam=15

Or:
The International Skating Union (ISU) is pleased to announce that Tanith and Charlie White will be the hosts of the inaugural and virtual ISU Skating Awards, which will take place on July 11, 2020 and will be Live Streamed on ISU Skating Awards page from 16:00 CEST.

ThumbnailWebsite

Olympic silver medalist, four-time ISU World Figure Skating medalist, three-time ISU Four Continents Champion and Five-time U.S. Champion with her Ice Dance partner Benjamin Agosto, Tanith is now a respected sports commentator. “We’re so honored to be a part of this brand new show, celebrating the accomplishments of our skating family” Tanith commented “Like all of you, we’ve missed skating these past few months and can’t wait to look back at some of the moments and people who made last season so special.”

Charlie is also a former Ice Dancer who skated with Meryl Davis. They were Olympic gold and silver medalists, two-time ISU World Figure Skating Champions, five-time ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Champions and three-time ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Champions and six-time U.S. National Champions. “Figure skating at its best offers an opportunity to inspire and unite” said the Olympic Champion “We’re grateful for the chance to show our appreciation for the sport and also remember all that we have to look forward to. “

Tanith and Charlie will host the show from the Detroit Skating Club, an ISU Center of Excellence and the rink where they trained throughout most of their career. They will have the honor of announcing the winners of each of the seven categories on the show Live.

The Figure Skating season was cut short because of the COVID-19 pandemic which led to the cancellation of the ISU Skating Awards show, due to take place on the final day of the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020 in Montréal (CAN). However, in this tumultuous environment of uncertainty, it is more important now than ever to get together and honor the athletes, coaches and choreographers that have worked so hard. The ISU Skating Awards will be an opportunity to celebrate Figure Skating and put athletes back at the center stage. Visit the ISU Skating Awards page to join Tanith and Charlie White in the celebration and watch the Awards live.

To receive the latest information on the #ISUSkatingAwards subscribe to the ISU Newsletter and to the Skating ISU YouTube Channel to receive notifications when live streams or new videos are published. For more information visit the ISU Skating Awards page.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

No, I don't think. So many officials would be corrupt for nothing..or for a not too important thing.

The inadvertent Zakarian spoiler regarding Alina is a fair warning IMO. The process was after all as transparent as three-inch reinforced steel.

Why would Zakarian do it? Why would he cheat? Illogical.. This is his idea, it's very important for him. If it is going to be succesful his influence increases in skating world..

McBibus

On the Ice

I did not followed this at all.
Is the spoiler about Alina winning?
Most valuable skater is such a dumb and vague definition that everybody will just vote for his favorite even if he/she's had the worst season ever, and Alina has a lot a really dedicated fans.
A question that would at least invite the fans to evaluate even from their own biased lens would be more interesting.

I would have definitely put a question for the favorite gala ex for example.
It's a moment that is purely for the fans and not for the competition.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I did not followed this at all.
Is the spoiler about Alina winning?
Most valuable skater is such a dumb and vague definition that everybody will just vote for his favorite even if he/she's had the worst season ever, and Alina has a lot a really dedicated fans.
A question that would at least invite the fans to evaluate even from their own biased lens would be more interesting.

I would have definitely put a question for the favorite gala ex for example.
It's a moment that is purely for the fans and not for the competition.

Yeah and fan voting doesn’t necessarily means that skater deserved to win that category(ies) it just means the most people voted for it.

It’s funny how these are fluff awards and yet people are taking the results so seriously as if their skater not winning a particular category will be an affront to their very skater’s existence. :laugh:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I thought we’d escaped this. Ah well.

I’m no Nostradamus but I can not see this ending well.

ruga

Final Flight
I think the issue was that Zakarian mentioned that Alina didn't win anything (or wasn't included in the top 3 for any category and wasn't in that ISU video), even if she probably received many votes in the public voting. Why would ISU create a fan vote which was basically a popularity contest and wasn't going to be used anyway is still a mystery to me.