Skating Awards go digital | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skating Awards go digital

ankifeather

Final Flight
I don't like the inclusion of sponsor in this a little bit, but since it's there I believe Alina is the only skater testimonial for a non sport related worldwide known brand.
Only other thing to say is "Natan Who?!"
Nathan OR Yuzuru (see below for why "OR")
I'm most puzzled at having two man out of 3 nominees.
It should be said that both of them are the stars of an entire great skating school (US and JP) so it is understandable indeed.
P/C just have a demigod status nobody can deny.

I will just exclude the award.

There are many skaters with non-sport related worldwide brands sponsors, Alina is not the only one. Yuzuru has more than PC, Nathan and Alina combined in amount and value. He is hardly the one to look at why Alina isn't there.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Warning - if you don't care for Yuzu fanning, skip this one :laugh:

Firstly, Alina is probably the most well known and popular of all of the ladies at the minute (I have no horse in the Russian race, so not biased in her favour) unless you count the three current top ones as a single entity previously known as 3A rather than individuals. I'm not going to argue the point, or try and justify my deep suspicion of the process, but if one of them is above her in 'popular' voting... I would call shenanigans.

But possibly what he meant was that, because they are all thought of as Tutberidze's girls first and themselves second.... they split the vote and the judges.

I don't like the inclusion of sponsor in this a little bit, but since it's there I believe Alina is the only skater testimonial for a non sport related worldwide known brand.

Errrrr, Citizen watches. One of the actual sponsors of the game worldwide, yes? And they purportedly happily laid out several millions for someone.

You’ve inspired me, El. Maybe next year Golden Skate could add an annual award honoring skaters for Outstanding Community Service—like the Walter Payton! I can think of several worthy candidates. Admins, what say you?

Errrrr, someone has raised huge amounts and personally donated at least two million US of his own money to disaster relief and to Japanese ice skating (the latest only a couple of months ago), along with appearances, 24Hr, personal messages etc. His message regarding the covid precautions was in newspapers not just in Japan, but through Asia, and people listen to him.

Who did the most for figure skating popularity this year? To me is the 3A: their flooded the skating scene like a tidal wave and their friendly rivarly is the most amazing thing that happened in skating in years.

Unfortunately they can't give the MVP to the nebulous entity that is 3A - and they would not thank you for it if you did - and none of the three broke out as the individual media superstar outside Russia (I still believe that if Trusova starts winning the way she was expected to, she may be the next superstar, even bigger than Evgenia and Alina or Mao). Maybe the fault of outside forces, the climax of their story got hijacked along with Worlds, but there it is.

In the meantime, I'll note that Skate Canada specifically mentioned someone in their financial statement as being a main reason their competitions ended up profiting, something no other single skater - not even Alina - can probably lay claim to, and he was Montreal's main choice for drawcard to Worlds even above the current WCs. And is the Olympic Channel's favourite advertising bait for the Summer Olympics. And that you just had to watch the juniors last year to see the inspiration coming through the ranks...

And this despite the fact that we have seen only a few minutes of said someone in the last four months.

Yes, I'm biased in this. Don't bother mentioning it :biggrin:

icybear

Medalist
Do they mean the Hanyu free costume he won for 2 seasons or the one he wore for 3 seasons

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
whole post

Those ad photos of a certain skater with Citizen watches were striking, even if you're not a super fan of certain skater. They were worth the millions.;)

And I am certain if GS had a community service award, the invitation would be for nominees from throughout the world of figure skating. It's difficult for folks to know what every skater is doing, but I'm sure we'd be glad to learn.:agree:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And I am certain if GS had a community service award, the invitation would be for nominees from throughout the world of figure skating. It's difficult for folks to know what every skater is doing, but I'm sure we'd be glad to learn.:agree:

And to be fair, many of them do what they can, even if it is just words. They may not have the hard-won but undeniable voice Yuzuru has in these things, but say a lesser known skater in Canada or France, who raises and gives, has to be applauded as well. In a way, that's probably why such an award would be hard to judge, because it's not a level playing field (even at the higher end, look at all the social media snark at celebrities who have donated that "they could do more").

McBibus

On the Ice
Warning - if you don't care for Yuzu fanning, skip this one :laugh:

[...]

Unfortunately they can't give the MVP to the nebulous entity that is 3A - and they would not thank you for it if you did - and none of the three broke out as the individual media superstar outside Russia (I still believe that if Trusova starts winning the way she was expected to, she may be the next superstar, even bigger than Evgenia and Alina or Mao). Maybe the fault of outside forces, the climax of their story got hijacked along with Worlds, but there it is.

Yes, I'm biased in this. Don't bother mentioning it :biggrin:

Fanboying/girling like this is always welcome.
Is a forum for fans after all.

I love Yuzuru.
I hope the "OR" in my post was clear
Yuzuru and Alina are the stars, Aliona and Nathan are the season's MVP.
It is not even clear what they wanted us to vote about.

I know the 3A can't win an award, but the last season summary is "The 3A invasion" :biggrin:
I hope Eteri wins one for bringing them.
As for the tanking speech it would be amazing, with Anna diligently and politelky talking for the group while Aliona make faces and remarks (possibly in russian "slang") and Sasha laughs at Alionas jokes while petting Tina

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Anyway, the biggest snub for MVP is Sui and Han. Since they have P/C there, seems strange to not have the only other skater or skating team to show more than a passable level of artistry in their skating (ignoring Peng and Jin clear development in that regard this season anyway). So I am rooting for P/C there instead.

Kelti

Rinkside
Let's all just enjoy this fluff and not worry about the lack of transparency. It's not as if such an award replaces winning a Championship!

I understand many might see this as a harmless little fluff award show to give us some skating content during this tough time, but never ever forget about the ambition of ari having this to replace the gala at worlds from now on.

I will not forget how they tricked fans into buying the expensive Montreal worlds tickets only to secretly swap the gala to the award show. I will not forget when the award stage plan got sent to fans by accident and it revealed a good section of the short side (where fans paid close to 2k for those seats) are entirely blocked by stage setting. And when confronted by angry fans, there were absolutely no response from ISU to resolve this scandal.

If ISU deems this online award a success this time, it means fans will be robbed off worlds gala, the biggest stage for skaters of the season where they can perform without pressure. We also robbed off the skaters’ chance to earn some show money for their appearance there. Not to mention those that are invited is only confined to half a rink to show their performance.

You are usually not a fan of gala? It’s still better than ISU splurging away the money to invite “celebrities” in desperate attempt to revive popularity of skating.

So I will not be watching this. I will not give them any attention. I hope ISU gets the idea we don’t want a lame award to replace the gala at worlds from now on.

SteamedEggplant

Rinkside
Do they mean the Hanyu free costume he won for 2 seasons or the one he wore for 3 seasons

I guess this is meant to be shady, but really the variation between Yuzu’s (Satomi’s) Origin 1.0 and 2.0 costumes is more marked than most men’s whole FS costume wardrobe ;)

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Did they really say they're dropping the Worlds Gala permanently? :eek: I was okay with this being a one off, but I want my worlds gala back :(

FayD

spring will come 🌸
On the Ice

No offence, but both costumes were used only this season. The purple Origin costume was completely different from the black one and the Seimei one used different colours from the previous. :slink:

Kelti

Rinkside
Did they really say they're dropping the Worlds Gala permanently? :eek: I was okay with this being a one off, but I want my worlds gala back :(

I don't think it's noted on the Worlds 2021 official website yet, but i believe this went out to those who subscribed to the ticket newsletter and it says:
"Tickets to the single events and the ISU Award will be available in the beginning of the fall 2020." :dev2::bang:

So beware of your innocent participation to this virtual award show might lead to kill off for Worlds gala in future.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think it's noted on the Worlds 2021 official website yet, but i believe this went out to those who subscribed to the ticket newsletter and it says:
"Tickets to the single events and the ISU Award will be available in the beginning of the fall 2020." :dev2::bang:

So beware of your innocent participation to this virtual award show might lead to kill off for Worlds gala in future.

Oh, no! That would be a terrible decision not to bring back the World Galas! :cry:

khtmyzr

Final Flight
I love Yuzuru.
I hope the "OR" in my post was clear
Yuzuru and Alina are the stars, Aliona and Nathan are the season's MVP.
It is not even clear what they wanted us to vote about.

I think the confusion lies in the fact that the title and the description don’t really go together.
The description is quite clear and sounds like they are awarding the stars which should include Alina and Yuzuru as McBibus said. However, their use of MVS as the title of the award makes one think of the definition of MVP as used in other sports rather than what they meant in the description. In which case, I think any no1s in SB and/or Season’s Ranking should rightfully be nominated. But then I don’t understand why they would even let people vote for the award if it was meant to go by competition results. *facepalm*

I guess this is meant to be shady, but really the variation between Yuzu’s (Satomi’s) Origin 1.0 and 2.0 costumes is more marked than most men’s whole FS costume wardrobe ;)

No offence, but both costumes were used only this season. The purple Origin costume was completely different from the black one and the Seimei one used different colours from the previous. :slink:

While I assume it was a rhetorical question, they actually specified on their nominations list:
Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) (Free Skate ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating)
So it’s the purple Origin.

—————

As other posters have mentioned, why not make it 5 nominees? I was surprised to not see Anna among the newcomers, Sui/Han in any category, etc.

lappo

Final Flight
I think that the outcome of these awards will probably play into the stereotype that figure skating is a shady prearranged system. If they wanted to avoid it, they should have put out the categories and let people decide who they wanted from the entire junior and senior fields, not just from a prearranged list of skaters, coaches etc and publish the results of the final votes for maximum transparency. Of course skaters with big fanbases would have won, and rightly so, but skaters who are now not among the nominees could have also been nominated by "real figure skating fans" and could have appreciated the votes that they received (for example I would probably have voted for Kazakova/Reviya LP for most interesting program).

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I looooove galas:luv17:

A cheesy award show based on popularity and votes and who knows what is not the end of the world, or the NFL would not be raking in the millions and the viewers. ETA: because they sponsor and have such shows in addition to the games.

But don’t touch my gala:dev2:

Last edited:

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I was under the impression that these awards reflected the season, and not overall career achievements. I can understand why Zagitova wasn’t nominated. While she has set the bar high in previous seasons, she didn’t have any significant accomplishments this season. She was definitely overshadowed by her teammates. If this was an overall MVP award, based on lifetime/career accomplishments, would Alina win that in comparison to the many other popular previous Olympic gold winning skaters? That opens a whole new can of worms.

And as far as the 3A team winning a collective award, I think it’s clear that these skaters do not like being grouped together and want to be known as individuals. I hope soon they’ll get some individual recognition and start to stand out based on their own accomplishments, because as individuals each had remarkable results.