Skating Awards go digital | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Skating Awards go digital

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I just tuned in. Tanith treating this like it’s totally legit, while Charlie looks like he is struggling to keep a straight face.

I wouldn't mind Tanith and Charlie to be the new Johnny and Tara for NBC tbh.

Tanith in particular always looked very professional even during commentaries.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I don't mind them keeping these awards but only if they stick to the online format. In my opinion, it's not entertaining enough to replace a worlds gala!
If they do one next year: keep the same hosts :), credit the dress designer as well as the skater for best costume, perhaps change the background narrator voiceover

Also I don't know how the nominees came about but I would like to see pairs skating featured a bit more.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Also I don't know how the nominees came about but I would like to see pairs skating featured a bit more.

I missed the pairs too, even though some were mentioned while discussing the choreographers (and Lori particularly had something to say about pairs), but there was a lack of them. Not one nominee, not even among the newcomers or entertaining programmes! It's not as if we haven't seen any good Pairs programmes this season. We did. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it (fluff as it was, and I wouldn't have watched in normal circumstances), but I did miss the presence of my favourite discipline!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think online format with fast forwarding is okay. I suppose, I am pretty disappointed with who won and it tints my impression of the awards. No pairs is also annoying. Like BK could have been in the most entertaining with Bond skate easily far more memorable... meh.

katymay

Medalist
Kurt Browning won the lifetime achievement award. :clap:

I think it should have been Scott Hamilton. Whatever. I had hoped these awards would be based on the online vote-but putting it in the hands of 7 jurors...it is hard to see this as legitimate. I was only able to hang in for about 15 minutes, it dragged on and on and on. Maybe it is fine to have these awards-based on online voting (skip the jury, please?), but perhaps just announce them and skip the presentation. Also maybe pretape so we don't have long awkward interviews that require translations, or attempts to understand a language they don't speak. Overall, I'm sorry, I thought it was a train-wreck.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It was boring. Only had about 15K viewing.

People didn't believe it wasn't rigged, and did believe it would be boring. I shouldn't be surprised if the individual skaters' segments get put up on youtube and get more views than the original (especially the skaters who have been almost invisible since the lockdown...)

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I don't mind them keeping these awards but only if they stick to the online format. In my opinion, it's not entertaining enough to replace a worlds gala!.

Agreed. If this is what they planned to do at Worlds in lieu of a gala, I feel confident that it would not have gone over well. But as an online event, aimed more at the casual fan than a gala audience (or any of us reading here), i thought it was okay, and inoffensive. If the ISU remains committed to this idea, I’d keep it online, and time it so it’s just before the start of the new competitive season. Maybe you’d increase interest in the next season that way.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think they should have a category for each discipline and then have a super finale for those four.

Pairs does not exist for them apparently.

I had hoped these awards would be based on the online vote-but putting it in the hands of 7 jurors...it is hard to see this as legitimate.

The format seemed to be saying that the ISU did not want to lose control of the awards. They kept the final say in their own hands rather than trust the on-line voters.

On the other hand, they are probably right. Someone is bound to organize some sort of troll-in to come up with a bizarre result.

Imagine

Medalist
I had hoped these awards would be based on the online vote-but putting it in the hands of 7 jurors...it is hard to see this as legitimate.

Well, it’s a figure skating themed award, so you can’t deny that this is very on brand for the sport.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I totally enjoyed the entire Live Stream. It was professionally produced and presented. I would venture my opinion that the great majority of fans likewise enjoyed the 1-hour, 50-minute webcast, and will welcome it back each season. I for one was happy that it did not contain one second of partisan political butchery that plays a huge role in all Hollywood phony awards. I also don't give a rat's ass how anyone else wants to express they're destain for the show. No one was forced to watch. Said my piece. OUT!

Amei

Record Breaker
I think they should have a category for each discipline and then have a super finale for those four.

I don't think that they need to have a category for each discipline, that would really drag out the ceremony. If they are going to keep the awards going I think they should restrict it to each award has 1 nominee for every discipline.

Pairs does not exist for them apparently.

Kind of like the US TV broadcasts by NBC.

mganders

Rinkside
I totally enjoyed the entire Live Stream. It was professionally produced and presented. I would venture my opinion that the great majority of fans likewise enjoyed the 1-hour, 50-minute webcast, and will welcome it back each season. I for one was happy that it did not contain one second of partisan political butchery that plays a huge role in all Hollywood phony awards. I also don't give a rat's ass how anyone else wants to express they're destain for the show. No one was forced to watch. Said my piece. OUT!

I agree! I so enjoyed the chance to see something skating related after such a disappointing end to the season. Were there things I would have changed or results I disagreed with? Sure. I’d have loved to see an award for best storytelling and I was puzzled by some of the most entertaining nominees. Do I want the public to decide the winners? Not after the Bobby Bones disaster on DWTS. After wading through all the Negative Nellie responses I finally found one that aligned with my own thoughts. Thank you!

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I think it should have been Scott Hamilton. Whatever. I had hoped these awards would be based on the online vote-but putting it in the hands of 7 jurors...it is hard to see this as legitimate. I was only able to hang in for about 15 minutes, it dragged on and on and on. Maybe it is fine to have these awards-based on online voting (skip the jury, please?), but perhaps just announce them and skip the presentation. Also maybe pretape so we don't have long awkward interviews that require translations, or attempts to understand a language they don't speak. Overall, I'm sorry, I thought it was a train-wreck.

What about Dick Button? Surely he has done more than anybody for the sport.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The format seemed to be saying that the ISU did not want to lose control of the awards. They kept the final say in their own hands rather than trust the on-line voters.

On the other hand, they are probably right. Someone is bound to organize some sort of troll-in to come up with a bizarre result.

Did they at least release full fan voting results? Because I was curious how votes distributed between skaters.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Why did they nominate the skaters for their costumes and not the designers?

https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...ng-award-recipients-revealed?templateParam=15

Above is the article describing the winners of the awards, including Chock and Bates, who won best costumes:

Madison Chock, for one, is extremely involved in the team's costume design, and brought the braiding technique used on Evan's shirt to Mathieu Caron, who did the overall costume design for the team. It is very nice that in the article, Mathieu describes how much Madison was involved, and Madison talks about the design too.

I am sure many skaters are similarly very involved in the design of their costumes!

But I agree the main designer should be mentioned in any award nomination, as well as the skaters

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I don't think that they need to have a category for each discipline, that would really drag out the ceremony. If they are going to keep the awards going I think they should restrict it to each award has 1 nominee for every discipline.

Kind of like the US TV broadcasts by NBC.

I think this is because it has been so long since the US has had a medal contender in Pairs. Whenever I watch US coverage of the Olympics I notice that sports without a American contender tend to be overlooked. This is why the sport needs at least one viable US skater/team to keep that market interesting. I think Nathan's competitiveness with Hanyu and Uno will help both to get more attention in the US.

Pairs is big deal here. Until Joannie it was ladies that was a bit of an after thought. We were lucky to have Joannie and Kaetlyn nearly back to back so interest in ladies persisted. Canada also has a habit of adopting athletes from other countries if we don't have any of our own. For example a American with a Canadian parent is often adopted by fans. Evgenia benefits from that too. If there is no actual Canadian to cheer for "trains in Canada" or "has some loose connection to Canada" usually will work for us. When anyone skates a Lori Nichol or Shae-Lynn Bourne program we are always informed that both of them are Canadian. This also goes for anyone trained by Orser, Gabois or any of the pairs coaches. Canadian by association.

I still think honouring a pair, a dance team, a man and a woman is fair. Then one of them (with the most votes overall so probably a singles skater) wins the overall prize.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...ng-award-recipients-revealed?templateParam=15

Above is the article describing the winners of the awards, including Chock and Bates, who won best costumes:

Madison Chock, for one, is extremely involved in the team's costume design, and brought the braiding technique used on Evan's shirt to Mathieu Caron, who did the overall costume design for the team. It is very nice that in the article, Mathieu describes how much Madison was involved, and Madison talks about the design too.

I am sure many skaters are similarly very involved in the design of their costumes!

But I agree the main designer should be mentioned in any award nomination, as well as the skaters

I think it should go to the skater and designer (make two awards-They could even be clever and have two parts of the same whole that shows the creator and the wearer. Creative arty people love that kind of challenge). I think a lot of skaters do have a lot of input into their costumes but overall it's the designer's vision and work.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Happy for Kurt Browning being awarded the Lifetime Achievement award - he deserves it and also Cheers to Shae-Lynn Bourne for winning Best Choreographer. I think Brian Orser should have won Best Coach, he's had the most results with Hanyu.