Coaching Changes that Made a Difference | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Coaching Changes that Made a Difference

macy

Record Breaker
i know Mariah to Raf has been mentioned already, but i want to add Mariah adding Adam Rippon really changed things for her last season.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's a question never to be answered, but if Yuzuru hadn't moved to Brian and the TCC all those years ago.... would he have made 2xOGM?

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Moving to Zimmermann and Fontana helped James/Cipres find their identity on the ice and improve their pairwork so that they broke through into the championship medals territory they'd been just outside of for years beforehand. It just came with too many negatives to be worth it.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ashley Wagner, Adam Rippon, and Mariah Bell all drastically improved when they switched to Raf. They were all talented beforehand, but their work with Rafael brought them their best results.

Edit: just realized this was already mentioned, I guess I’m emphasizing haha

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley Wagner, Adam Rippon, and Mariah Bell all drastically improved when they switched to Raf. They were all talented beforehand, but their work with Rafael brought them their best results.

Edit: just realized this was already mentioned, I guess I’m emphasizing haha

I'm not understanding this with regard to Adam.

Adam Rippon won two World Junior Championships before going to Raf:). I'm sure he felt this was the right move for him, and I have no quarrel that Raf was the best coach for him in his senior career (if for nothing else in that I believe the skater must make that decision and I support the skater's decision), but "drastically improved" results? :confused:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I'm not understanding this with regard to Adam.

Adam Rippon won two World Junior Championships before going to Raf:). I'm sure he felt this was the right move for him, and I have no quarrel that Raf was the best coach for him in his senior career (if for nothing else in that I believe the skater must make that decision and I support the skater's decision), but "drastically improved" results? :confused:

that was 2008. He went to raf in 2012 - where he learnt 4T. He probably wouldn't have got it if he didn't considering his age, and wouldn't have made those next GPF's

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
that was 2008. He went to raf in 2012 - where he learnt 4T. He probably wouldn't have got it if he didn't considering his age, and wouldn't have made those next GPF's

Adam's success rate with the quad was, shall we say, not consistent. And I have no doubt that he could have learned the quad just as "successfully" with his previous coaches. His quad was not the reason he medalled;)

I am not saying that Adam should not have gone to Raf, I *am* saying that I didn't see any "drastic" improvement. And I quite liked Adam as a skater, since a quad lover I am not.:)

withwings

On the Ice
Adam's success rate with the quad was, shall we say, not consistent. And I have no doubt that he could have learned the quad just as "successfully" with his previous coaches. His quad was not the reason he medalled;)

I am not saying that Adam should not have gone to Raf, I *am* saying that I didn't see any "drastic" improvement. And I quite liked Adam as a skater, since a quad lover I am not.:)

I think he matured, found his identity and inner freedom and it translated to his skating.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My memory is awfully shaky sometimes.

How soon before the 1976 Olympics did John Curry and Dorothy Hamill move to Carlo Fassi?

I think... but I'm not certain... that they both joined him about 1974. But that's been so long ago.

Considering that neither had won a WC, and two years later they were OGM's... I would consider that noteworthy.

I think he matured, found his identity and inner freedom and it translated to his skating.

I think this is true. I don't know if Arutunian was solely responsible, byt Adam himself has said that he never truly believed that he was really good enough even when he had early success.

My memory is awfully shaky sometimes.

How soon before the 1976 Olympics did John Curry and Dorothy Hamill move to Carlo Fassi?

I think... but I'm not certain... that they both joined him about 1974. But that's been so long ago.

Considering that neither had won a WC, and two years later they were OGM's... I would consider that noteworthy.

In Hamill's case, I am pretty sure that the USFSA sat her down and explained to her and her family that, ISU politics being what they were, she could be a champion if she switched to the king- and queen-maker Fassi.

At the 1980 Olympics, Fassi is credited with engineering the deal whereby Robin Cousins would win the gold medal over East German Jan Hoffmann, in exchange for East German Anett Potzsch being given the ladies gold over Linda Fratianne. (I don't know if any of that is really true, but it is the most commonly repeated version of events -- Frank Carroll remains vocal about it to this day.)

In the 1976 men's, I believe that John Curry sought out Fassi to help him present a more athletic style and not so ballet-like, which was not encouraged for men in those days. Curry skated to the ballet Don Quixote anyway. :) )

By the way, Curry's LP performance got first place ordinals for that towering masterpiece of a performance from every judge except the Russian judge, who voted for silver medalist Vladimir Kovalev, and the Canadian judge, who voted for the bronze medalist, Toller Cranston.

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
At the 1980 Olympics, Fassi is credited with engineering the deal whereby Robin Cousins would win the gold medal over East German Jan Hoffmann, in exchange for East German Anett Potzsch being given the ladies gold over Linda Fratianne. (I don't know if any of that is really true, but it is the most commonly repeated version of events -- Frank Carroll remains vocal about it to this day.)

I still to this day do not understand this "deal". Fassi conspired with whom? And what was he telling them? "If you let my skater from Great Britain win over your East German skater, I will sacrifice a skater from the USA that I am not coaching so she can lose to your East German skater"?? It makes no sense, really. What's his leverage? He's not giving up anything, only gaining something. Makes no sense. I mean, if Linda was also his student he'd have at least some leverage to broker a deal, but he wasn't. It would be like Eteri engineering a deal with the Japanese who have two solid gold medal contenders and she says "Let's make a deal Japanese Federation. You sacrifice Rika Kihira for silver for my student Alena's gold medal, and in return Hanyu will win the gold against the American Nathan Chen". It really doesn't make any kind of sense.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

He absolutely matured, but he also was in his late 20s when he found his skating "voice", and not his teens. I think that helped;) How much was life, and how much was his coach, is impossible to quantify.

Anyway, as I said, I believe Rafael was the right coach for Adam, I certainly wouldn't argue with that.. But Adam was a world junior champion, twice. He had quite a base to start from. :)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
By the way, Curry's LP performance got first place ordinals for that towering masterpiece of a performance from every judge except the Russian judge, who voted for silver medalist Vladimir Kovalev, and the Canadian judge, who voted for the bronze medalist, Toller Cranston.

Forgive the double post, but completely different subject: the Canadian judge just ensuring that Toller got some medal, which he of course richly deserved. If not that night, for body of work:biggrin:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

His quad was actually quite consistent till he got an injury, and then had to switch out the 4T in place of 4Lz. He landed 4T in every grand prix in the season where he first displayed it.

EDIT: My memory failed me, he wasn't consistent with it. That been said to land quad age 25 quite impressive. Also Raf worked wonders for his 3A

Kittosuni

Medalist
Papadakis/Cizeron to Montreal

Lil Bet to Eteri

Javi to Orser

These 3 for me are the most shocking because the result was right away.