Coaching Changes that Made a Difference | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Coaching Changes that Made a Difference

SorrySkater

On the Ice
also a big one that came to mind- Ashley Wagner's move to John Nicks (and eventually Raf) changed her entire career.

This is the one that immediately came to mind for me as well. Also, Mariah Bell from Kori Ade to Raf.

I still to this day do not understand this "deal". Fassi conspired with whom? And what was he telling them? "If you let my skater win, I will sacrifice a skater from a different country that I am not coaching"?? It makes no sense, really. What's his leverage? He's not giving up anything, only gaining something.

I, too, have never really understood how people obtain "influence" in organizations like the ISU.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Forgive the double post, but completely different subject: the Canadian judge just ensuring that Toller got some medal, which he of course richly deserved. If not that night, for body of work:biggrin:

You're one of the dearest friends I have on this board, and a fellow Toller fan to boot...

But I am always compelled to speak against any hint that the Olympics should be some sort of Lifetime Achievement Award.

The Olympics, like every other competition, should be won on the merits of how the skaters performed at that event only. Otherwise the Olympics are reduced to some sort of Hall of Fame induction or People's Choice awards.

I very much wish that skaters like Michelle Kwan and Kurt Browning were able to add "Olympic Champion" to their resumes, but they did not earn it on the night.

Toller deserved his medal, and not because of prior performances. Of course, you added the "grin" emoji, so perhaps your post was tongue-in-cheek.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
While Raf Arutyunyan has undeniably been great for putting everything together for Nathan, I do think his time with Marina Zueva helped him a lot artistically and with his confidence in competition.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Shizuka Arakawa to Tarasova right before winning 2004 worlds and then to Morozov right before winning 2006 Olympics. Something about the new environment clearly helped her reset, get out of a rut, and reach her full potential to peak for the biggest events in her career.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Carlo Fassi see Caryn Kadavy fall five times at a Regionals and then offered to coach her, and then VOILA!!!! Fassi definitely made Caryn Kadavy's career. (She really could have won 86 Worlds had she not needed her head helmet in the short program....)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
whole post

Oh have you not heard about the "Toller Exception" <many big grin emojis>

We do agree on this, my friend, although I do not know how many others share our (rightful) thinking. If it were up to me, Ross Miner would have gone to the 2018 Olympics. What you put on the ice in any particular competition matters, and to me, that is what makes figure skating a sport.

But you never forget your first love, and thus the Toller exception;)

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh have you not heard about the "Toller Exception" <many big grin emojis>

We do agree on this, my friend, although I do not know how many others share our (rightful) thinking. If it were up to me, Ross Miner would have gone to the 2018 Olympics. What you put on the ice in any particular competition matters, and to me, that is what makes figure skating a sport.

But you never forget your first love, and thus the Toller exception;)

People who think that Toller did not earn his medal are just wrong. I also agree with you about Ross Miner, but I can understand those who don't. His non-selection was in accordance with the criteria... so my problem is really with the criteria.

Imagine

Medalist
Shizuka Arakawa to Tarasova right before winning 2004 worlds and then to Morozov right before winning 2006 Olympics. Something about the new environment clearly helped her reset, get out of a rut, and reach her full potential to peak for the biggest events in her career.

8 years to go from whatever the heck this is, to this. Tarasova really demonstrated the extent of her coaching talent with Shizuka. At least with Sasha and Mao, she had a great start to build on, but Shizuka was pretty unremarkable in terms of natural artistry when she picked her up. I feel like Shizuka just ran away from Tarasova because of the downright fugly costumes she made her wear. The woman has the worst fashion sense in all of skating. Some of the choices she made for Shizuka and Mao were straight up hate crimes. I'm not surprised Shizuka was like, lol, I'm not wearing a violin cutout or bloody mummy wrappings to the friggen Olympics.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Kevin Aymoz to Zimmerman & Fontana.

rugbyfan

On the Ice
Not sure about this one, since he was successful with both coaches, but I would argue that Browning's move to Stong made a difference to his skating if not his success.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Everybody who switched to Tatiana Tarasova (too many to name; including Kulik, Yagudin, Asada, Arakawa, Cohen,
Not for the best skating-wise imo. Worse programs, layouts and costumes than with Raf. Especially the second season.
Only Clair de lune was good.