Olympics Results You Disagreed With | Golden Skate

Olympics Results You Disagreed With

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Inspired by... well what discussion could possibly inspire such a thread, take a guess. But I hope to discuss some strange Pairs or ID results before we get there, lol.

I'll start. I do not know how to judge Zhang and Zhang at 2006 Olympics - but they definitely shouldn't have been silver even if we say we should simply count the huge break in the program as non-existent and continue evaluating. The SP and LP performed by S/Z here are great, I actually think the throw 3S in the LP is perhaps the standard for a +5 throw 3S. Unfortunately, I think they made too many mistakes in their performances to take gold here, but the first half of the LP is something I love to rewatch.

On the contrary, as amazing as Sui and Han are... They should be bronze at Pyeongchang. Bland programs with mistakes in the LP. I think it should have been 1. S/M, 2. D/R, 3. S/H.

Daisuke Takahashi should have won Vancouver Olympics. Lysacek should be fourth. AT BEST.

SLC should have been Sarah Hughes, Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, with Slutskaya fourth.

I think an argument can be made that Kaetlyn Osmond was the rightful Pyeongchang Silver medalist. Zagitova rightly won, but I think Medvedeva had a 3F+3T< in the LP, and had a generally bad program, worse skating skills, and overall jump quality, despite Osmond's mistake. I find her to be a better performer than Osmond, but her quality and programs were just worse (and I'm not even a fan of Osmond's programs).

ETA: last edits before I simply wait lol. 92 and 94 OWG judging makes NO sense.

1994 OWG was Stojko's. The podium for me was 1. Stojko 2. Candeloro 3. Urmanov, lol.

1992 OWG was also wrong. It was 1. Paul Wylie 2. Petr Barna 3. Viktor Petrenko.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
On the contrary, as amazing as Sui and Han are... They should be bronze at Pyeongchang. Bland programs with mistakes in the LP. I think it should have been 1. S/M, 2. D/R, 3. S/H.
I'm sorry but no.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I'm sorry but no.

How do you judge them? I think D/R had the best PE/CO/IN in the LP, and they also landed a quad. I find them lacking in other qualities, but S/H making mistakes in their LP put them behind... S/M lead due to being clean in the LP, but I found them lacking too in terms of PCS. S/H do lead in the SP, but overall wasn't enough for me.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Sotnikova and Kim 2014. Absolute highway robbery.

I watched it live and to this day, want my PTO back.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
They almost won because of that SP lead. You can't discount the importance of that segment of the competition.

I mean seeing that I'm evaluating and calling results "wrong", you should assume I don't have them with enough of a lead after the SP ;)

Sotnikova and Kim 2014. Absolute highway robbery.

I watched it live and to this day, want my PTO back.

We lasted four posts, lol.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I would have given the gold to Chan in 2014. A skater who falls twice should not get the Olympic Gold.

I also would have put Fernandez ahead of Shoma in 2018.

Like everyone else, Sotnikova winning over Kim in 2014 didn't make sense to me.

Would have had 2002 ladies be Hughes, Cohen, Slutskaya, Kwan.

Would have given Goebel the silver in 2002.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I would have given the gold to Chan in 2014. A skater who falls twice should not get the Olympic Gold.

Would have had 2002 ladies be Hughes, Cohen, Slutskaya, Kwan.

Would have given Goebel the silver in 2002.

Yup. agreed

icybear

Medalist

Turandot is anything but bland. It was climatic and majestic. D/R also made mistakes in their free and they were already 6 pts behind from the sp

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
How do you judge them? I think D/R had the best PE/CO/IN in the LP, and they also landed a quad. I find them lacking in other qualities, but S/H making mistakes in their LP put them behind... S/M lead due to being clean in the LP, but I found them lacking too in terms of PCS. S/H do lead in the SP, but overall wasn't enough for me.

Overall D/R and S/H had the same amount of elements with negative GOEs (2). D/R one in the SP, one in the FS. S/H two in the FS. Even if S/H's mistakes were a bit more costly points wise, they are basically equals.

S/H were the absolute best in SP and i would say they deserved a bit more even. The gap with D/R was deserved. They hadn't the most interesting FS but skating wise they were leagues aboves D/R. So i think the pcs gap was deserved and given their execution on clean elements they deserved the GOEs too. D/R probably should have get higher GOEs on some elements but i would give them a score just two points above S/H.

The controversial result imo is the gold. Everyone including me was mesmerized by S/M' FS but they were saved in the SP. They shouldn't have finished ahead of Yu/Zhang.

A skater who have 4 unclean jumps shouldn't get the gold either imo.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
To go back along way I dont think Plushenko deserved silver at 2002.
If went clean, of course I'd argue for a silver/gold, but he fell in the short program whilst Timothy Goebels had a good short, and then went on to do 3 quad programs. Back then, if you fell in Sp generally speaking you shouldn't even make the podium. However, I think PlushenkosFS redeemed him to the bronze medal. I would have given Tim the silver though.

Of course there is the Kim/sotnikova. I also would have maybe given gold to Kostner, but sotnikova shouldn't have won.

And now 2014 mens: I agree with this result. Everybody there had a cringy free skate, but hanyus was least cringy. I love chan, but I really didnt enjoy watching his 2014 free skate. The errors were too disruptive to the performance for me. I didnt especially enjoy hanyus, but I could still get into the performance despite the 2 falls. I still looked at the screen and watched the skating.

Then looking at the 2010 scandal. I dont know about the details of the judging for lysacek/plushenko - I didnt enjoy Lysaceks skate, and Plushenko wasnt at his former glory. I do think johhny Weir was undermarked big time.

2006 mens - nothing wrong here imo. I maybe disagree with scoring for certain skaters, but the placement was completely correct.

1998 women's. Michelle Kwan deserved the gold for better SS.

2002 pairs:I know there was a controversy but I dont know why (I didnt watch the pairs event and I dont know about pairs scoring) - perhaps somebody could fill me in?

More recent:
2018 men - shoma should have been called "<" on his quad loop. That was the scoring difference between javi getting silver or bronze. For that reason, I'd have given the silver to javi.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Turandot is anything but bland. It was climatic and majestic. D/R also made mistakes in their free and they were already 6 pts behind from the sp

1 mistake, And they were probably a bit underscored in the SP by comparison

2002 pairs:I know there was a controversy but I dont know why ... perhaps somebody could fill me in?

Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze were generally regarded as the more accomplished team. At the Olympics, their short progam (Calliffa) was a masterpiece. Sale and Pelletier fell out of their closing pose, but it didn't cost them much -- they were still second, ahead of a decent performance by Shen and Zhou, in the short.

In the long, B&S's the program to Thais was the more intricately choreographed and more artistically sophisticated. American TV commentators tried to make an issue of a barely perceptible bobble on the landing of the side-by-side double Axels by Anton. Sale and Pelletier were perfectly clean. But their program was more simply constructed. They reprised the crowd-pleasing Love Story for the Olympics, after abandoning their more substamtial LP for that season, Orchid (which they were never completely able to master).

However, none of that is why there was a scandal. The scandal occurred because when the judges returned to their hotel after the event, Canadian official Sally Stapleford confronted French Judge Marie-Reine Le Gougne, with: "It was Didier, wasn't it!" Referring to the President of the French Federation (Didier Gailhaguet) who was suspected of having made a deal with the Russian Federation whereby the French Judge would vote for B&S in pairs in exchange for the Russian judge voting for the French Ice dance team. (He didn't. ;) ) Mme Le Gougne broke down in tears and sobbed, yes, yes, Didier made me do it.

When the ISU investigated in the ensuing months, Le Gougne changed her story and said, no, it was the Canadians who put pressure on me for months to vote for S&P, but I valiantly resisted. Both Le Gougne and Gailhaguet received suspensions for conspiring to fix the result, but the ISU was unable to determing who they were conspiring with -- they just knew that they were conspiring. (Gailhaguet later ran for ISU President).

The worst outcome was that the ISU rushed into place the "Interim Scoring System" for the next year -- a dreadful forerunner of the IJS, whose central feature was anonymous judging. The ISU did not care if judges cheated, but they were very much against judges getting caught cheating.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker

Totally agree with this part of the post....especially the first comment................

In 1968 Tim Wood lost the gold medal on a scoring mistake by one of the judges, who got confused between the scoring protocols used at the Olympics compared to the rules that applied to Worlds. From a 2014 interview with Skate Guard:

Interviewer: You actually lost the 1968 Olympic title to Wolfgang Schwarz on a technicality. Can you explain what happened?

Wood: They actually all thought I had won. Back then, at the Olympics the factor of scoring was ten and the factor was twelve at Worlds. You had a smaller margin you could give to someone if you were judging. The Canadian judge Ralph McCreath wanted me to win but he mismarked me and realized he made a mistake but it was on paper and you couldn't change it back then. He went to the referee Josef Dědič and there was nothing he could do. I lost the Olympics by one judge by one tenth of a point. Can you imagine that?

Actually, the best skater at the event was three-time World Champion Emmerich Danzer. Danzer in fact won the free skate. But he totally blew one of his figures and finished 4th in that segment and overall.

Wood did not get along well with his coach. He fired him right in the middle of skating his compulsory figures at the 1970 World Championship.

Wolfgang Schwarz won the Olympic gold medal and went on to serve substantial prison time for human sex trafficking, importing (and at least once, kidnapping) young girls from Eastern Europe to Austria.

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
In 1968 Tim Wood lost the gold medal on a scoring mistake by one of the judges, who got confused between the scoring protocols used at the Olympics compared to the rules that applied to Worlds. From a recent interview:

Actually, the best skater at the event was three-time World Champion Emmerich Danzer. Danzer in fact won the free skate. But he totally blew one of his figures and finished 4th in that segment and overall.

Wood did not get along well with his coach. He fired him right in the middle of skating his compulsory figures at the 1970 World Championship.

Wolfgang Schwarz won the Olympic gold medal and went on to serve substantial prison time for human sex trafficking, importing (and at least once, kidnapping) young girls from Eastern Europe to Austria.

That's quality content.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

<snip>

Like everyone else, Sotnikova winning over Kim in 2014 didn't make sense to me

Not like everyone else. Some of us had no problem with the result.

As for Chan, that would be ironic given he made an art form out of winning medals despite wiping the ice with his butt.

Oooh yay, another thinly-veiled Sotnikova bash thread.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
Not like everyone else. Some of us had no problem with the result.

As for Chan, that would be ironic given he made an art form out of winning medals despite wiping the ice with his butt.

Oooh yay, another thinly-veiled Sotnikova bash thread.
As I have already said - acording to me, Carolina should have won OGM in 2014. Yuna deserved silver and she got silver. And... then... the rest...
Poor Carolina. Weren't the Italians angry then? I also think Carolina should have won gold at Worlds 2011. I mean she has texbook technique and her skates at Worlds 2011 and in Sochi were so artistic.
However she was not good at Worlds 2008 and Worlds 2014. Why she even medaled there?