Olympics Results You Disagreed With | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Olympics Results You Disagreed With

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would have given the gold to Chan in 2014. A skater who falls twice should not get the Olympic Gold.

I also would have put Fernandez ahead of Shoma in 2018.

Like everyone else, Sotnikova winning over Kim in 2014 didn't make sense to me.

Would have had 2002 ladies be Hughes, Cohen, Slutskaya, Kwan.

Would have given Goebel the silver in 2002.

The sustained mess that was Chan's free skate - even taking into account Yuzuru's falls - should never ever ever win gold. I felt for him, watching his eyes in the the flower ceremony is awful but no way. At least Yuzu got up and fought for the rest of it, Patrick just gave up half way through.

I love Shoma, but I agree that Javi should have taken silver in 2018.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
entire post
If this were for a single event, I would've scored. But to be fair, we can still justify what we say, like in 6.0 the numbers didn't have too much meaning anyway, so words are good enough for me. But if someone casts the first stone (WHICH I WON'T!!!) I will jump in with my own scores if the event interested me.

04. Punsalan/Swallow 1998, and the ice dance judging in general (I think they should have won, their Free Dance was the best to me and they were undermarked in every other segment too. Although to be fair, the top 5 teams are all quite close to me, it's just small points separating the placements. I did a post in the past with my ordinals in each segment for all the top teams, really wish there was a way to search the Goldenskate Archives, anyone have a tool for doing this?)
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...cing-at-the-1994-and-1998-Olympics&highlight=
Found it in your "latest started threads".

It is not easy to see

Username checks out lol (eta: because of use of language I mean! Math profs always used to say "it is easy to see" while doing proofs, but neglected to say "for me" at the end :laugh: )

Arbitrary

Medalist
Guys, you need to invest much more to developing Time Machine.
You can correct even 1980 pairs event if doing properly.

Beware of El Ministerio del Tiempo.

P.S. Absolutely pointless topic.

SteamedEggplant

Rinkside
As SmallAminal pointed out, it’s weird for people to bring up ‘wrong’ results without really talking about the scores at all. And when they are mentioned it doesn’t make much sense. For example, the sudden rise in Hanyu’s PCS wasn’t all that sudden or marked. His PCS was only one point higher than at 2013 GPF, and his SP at the Olympics was better. And his PCS wasn’t the highest for the Olympics FS or the SP.

Skaters don’t always perform their best at the Olympics, it’s the nature of the sport. That’s no reason to take their title away. There is bias and injustice in scoring, but that just doesn’t apply in this case!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
There are no wrong results. Just results. They would only be wrong if there was a error on the score sheet.

It would be better if this was called Olympic Results I disagree with. Something less "My word is gospel".

I think B/S should have been the solo winners of gold in SLC 2002. I do not think Evan should have won in 2010. I can see the argument for Javi over Shoma in 2018. I still think K/P should have beaten B/B in '88.

There has only been a handful of times that I was confused by the results at the Olympics and some of that was my own favoritism coming to the fore.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
There are no wrong results. Just results. They would only be wrong if there was a error on the score sheet.

It would be better if this was called Olympic Results I disagree with. Something less "My word is gospel".
I really don't know why people are taking the title so literally, lol. We see "wrong" used in an inabsolute way all the time in everyday speech. "it's your wrong opinion" etc. It's even more common in sports "the referee was WRONG" etc. I stand by the title. It was for fun, like most other threads on here.

Just to add, I also don't really care if people choose to turn it into bashing, that's not my job to take care of that. I'm sorry for the mods about it, though. The ones who've contributed meaningfully to the thread are obvious to point out. I just wish people would finally shut up about Sochi singles events, especially the men's event which I wished right after it happened that humanity would join hands and decree a collective hallucination, because the LP was just so bad, and probably bad to skating as a whole.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Chan was not deserving of winning in 2014 (nor 2013, nor 2012), please. He couldn't land any axel jump the entire competition, not even a double, and he failed multiple other jumps too. His overall performance was uninspired and the program was unimaginative and insipid. Hanyu made 2 mistakes across both programs, with harder content, Chan made 5. Hanyu's program did suck, I'm furious he didn't go back to the 2012 Romeo+Juliet, but he still did more than anyone else in that sad competition.

What's your podium for 1992? I put it in my OP: 1. Wylie 2. Barna 3. Petrenko. I thought Barna did a nice SP, at least...

1. Wylie, 2. Petrenko, 3. Stojko

I do love Barna's SP, but his LP was technically deficient and had strange choreographic gaps, including an atrocious ending that sours the whole thing.

This isn't the thread unfortunately, and I hadn't watched the correct Anissina/Peizerat performance before I wrote that one (nor revisited Punslan/Swallow yet, nor watched the compulsories), because their Olympic FD ended up being ranked lower for me with the bobbles they had.

Skatesocs

Final Flight

I do love Barna's SP, but his LP was technically deficient and had strange choreographic gaps, including an atrocious ending that sours the whole thing.
Oh boy, maybe I need to revisit this one at some point, too, then. I don't think anyone's LPs except Wylie's made much of an impression, and so I went with Barna as my silver for his SP. I'll have to more strongly evaluate the qualities for the men.

BTW... do you agree that Kerrigan should be bronze for 1992? I really wish Chen Lu were, but probably she shouldn't be. But I really wish she were!
This isn't the thread unfortunately, and I hadn't watched the correct Anissina/Peizerat performance before I wrote that one (nor revisited Punslan/Swallow yet, nor watched the compulsories), because their Olympic FD ended up being ranked lower for me with the bobbles they had.
Ah, OK. I don't usually know how to evaluate ID though, unless someone had a masterful choreography/interpretation that I can definitively say deserved first. Which is why I'll stand by 2010 belonging to D/W, but 2014 belonging to V/M (and while perhaps not masterful, 2011 worlds belonging to V/M, but 2012 to D/W). But apart from that, I don't even know, unless someone makes obvious mistakes, because the top teams are so even usually. Haven't back-tracked enough there, either, beyond 2006.

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
As I have already said - acording to me, Carolina should have won OGM in 2014. Yuna deserved silver and she got silver. And... then... the rest...
Poor Carolina. Weren't the Italians angry then? I also think Carolina should have won gold at Worlds 2011. I mean she has texbook technique and her skates at Worlds 2011 and in Sochi were so artistic.
However she was not good at Worlds 2008 and Worlds 2014. Why she even medaled there?
*reposting the original post due to having accidentally deleted it.

Although I do appreciate Kostner's skating skills, panache, and lines, for me her Bolero at Sochi left a lot to be desired in terms of the usual degree of artistry she had been known to demonstrate. The change in the order of the elements from 2013, while certainly facilitating the jumping-passes, also served to accentuate the lack of transitions while somewhat detracting from the musicality and drama shown in the original version (esp towards the end of the program). Take the section in which she literally circles the rink around the exact same spots to land two consecutive 3Ss. She landed all the jumps, though, not to mention delivering when it most counted. That is what I admire the most about her at this event.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
In men's, neither competitor skated well, both seeming like they were trying to give the gold medal away to the other.

I think both Patrick and Yuzuru had a good claim to be under unusual - even for the Olympics - pressure then. Patrick was heading into it with the weight of being expected to break the 'Canadian curse' and with three years of being proclaimed the untouchable, almost already crowned winner, probably and understandably feeling pretty confident... until the GPF threw a monkey wrench into the path laid out. And Yuzu - well, people make lots of allowances for Nathan Chen being so young and at his first Olympics and crumbling under the weight, but remember in 2014, Yuzuru was only a little older and it was his first, and he had all of Japan - to say nothing of the JSF - figuratively screaming at him. So he also and totally unsurprisingly succumbed to nerves, and I like to think that people would have been willing to make those same allowances for the boy...

Except that he succumbed less than everyone around him and, ummm, won. So they don't.

It was a strange Olympics in the singles disciplines...

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I will go to my grave complaining that Michelle (1998) and Yuna (2014) were robbed.

That said I hold no ill will against their competitors. Adult Tara the commentator annoys me to no end but I have nothing against her child self. And Sotnikova skated really well with all the pressure of skating at home.

As someone else said better, it’s the judges we should be glaring at.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Just out of interest, could those arguing that Chan should have won 2014 point at an element /Part of the PCS that you think either was overscored / underscored in?

cohen-esque

Final Flight
*reposting the original post due to having accidentally deleted it.

Although I do appreciate Kostner's skating skills, panache, and lines, for me her Bolero at Sochi left a lot to be desired in terms of the usual degree of artistry she had been known to demonstrate. The change in the order of the elements from 2013, while certainly facilitating the jumping-passes, also served to accentuate the lack of transitions while somewhat detracting from the musicality and drama shown in the original version (esp towards the end of the program). Take the section in which she literally circles the rink around the exact same spots to land two consecutive 3Ss. She landed all the jumps, though, not to mention delivering when it most counted. That is what I admire the most about her at this event.

I agree with you. I watched it live and couldn’t believe that 1) she was going completely clean, and 2) I was kind of bored. The reworked choreography wasn’t as strong as the original; it lacked the build up and tension, which was exacerbated by her giving a pretty conservative performance and not quite making her usual effort at interpretation, either. I didn’t think she deserved higher PCS at the Olympics than she got at Euros that year, or at the previous Worlds, even though I would ordinarily think the mistakes she made at the latter competitions (Worlds had a fall on the 3S as the last element; Euros the reworked choreo with a fall but a lot more fire) were the kiss of death for a performance.

Her best performance of the original Bolero was probably 2013 Nationals, which sadly I don’t think reached a large audience.

Elspeth

Rinkside
It would be nice if in these threads we could be objective and answer the question posed - and not just root for your favorite skater.

I have a problem with anyone disparaging Patrick Chan. He was one of the very best male figure skaters for a good while. Please don't diminish his achievements because you like someone else better.

Yes, please don't diminish anyone's achievements. Except when it comes to Hanyu, then fire at will.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Maybe I should have included "except for Sochi men and ladies, go away, make your own thread" in the OP :drama:

FayD

spring will come 🌸
On the Ice
Hanyu has been a very dominant skater but didn't win his olympic titles with his best skating. That's a very objective comment imho

It's not an objective comment when people keep disregarding that he skated a wonderful SP at Sochi and two wonderful performances at Pyeongchang and instead only bring up his falls at the Sochi FS to act ike he's some fluke OGM that won his medals by chance.

Of course, Patrick gets the same treatment about his world titles, so you should understand the frustration.

Skatesocs

Final Flight

OK, I can see where you're coming from. I loveeeee Barna's SP (those circular steps :love: :drama: and also his straight-line steps tbh!) but on rewatch, I do agree he did too little in the LP. Petrenko's SP and his first 3Axel combo in the LP deserve huge credit over what else these skaters were doing, and his skating skills are still quite good (... And he's energetic at points, I guess) and then Stojko despite his lacking qualities delivered most of what he'd planned. Barna even had too little tech in the SP to prop him up. So I agree there. And we already agreed on Wylie.

No one can make me change my mind about Urmanov being no higher than third with his awful 1994 LP though :noshake:

And I rewatched 92 Ladies' too. Chen Lu shouldn't be bronze :drama: But she was so constantly robbed :( Should be 3 time WC IMO :no:

mikeko666

Final Flight
03. Men's event 2010 (Daisuke Takahashi and Takahiko Kozuka should have finished 1st + 2nd, Weir should have been 3rd in the LP, and overall between Plushenko and Lysacek, I give Plushenko the edge).

Takahashi didn't deserve the two edge calls on 3Lz and UR on 3F+3T in FS. If those three jump elements had been called correctly like Worlds, he would have won Gold.
But many people also thought a skater with a fall didn't deserve OGM at that time. It is an irony that another Japanese man won OGM with two falls four years later.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Takahashi didn't deserve the two edge calls on 3Lz and UR on 3F+3T in FS. If those three jump elements had been called correctly like Worlds, he would have won Gold.
But many people also thought a skater with a fall didn't deserve OGM at that time. It is an irony that another Japanese man won OGM with two falls four years later.

I'm really going to just avoid the Sochi men's stuff, but I don't get why falls = no OGM? As if the rest of the quality doesn't matter. There should be a vast deficit in PCS when it comes to Lysacek in favour of Takahashi.

I thought his 4T was fine too, actually. Rotated fall.